• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

No pay, no spray: Firefighters let home burn

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think what they did was just plain wrong. I'm not saying that we should pay for others who refuse to, but I think there are much better solutions than this. There are also further reaching consequences that need to be considered. That family DID have insurance. How will insurance companies pay for such expenses when local gov'ts allow houses to be total losses on purpose? They will charge the rest of us MORE. So, in essence, we will still be paying for those who refuse to.

• Members

This fire department is a city fire department, paid for by the taxes of city dwellers. The county government needs to get its act together and form a county fire department, either by salaried firefighters or volunteers. When that happens, the county residents would be charged a special tax levy for that protection whether they like it or not.

The point is, the homeowners were offered fire protection and refused. If the city fire department put the fire out, the homeowners would literally be getting fire protection for free. Eventually, no county residents would pay the fee, and the city would eventually stop providing the service, because the city taxpayers would revolt.

As a mayor of a small Iowa city, it amazes me how many residents ask the city council to pay for things, then get upset when their taxes increase to pay for all the stuff they want. Money doesn't grow on trees, except at the federal level.

• Members

This home owner did not "deserve" help from the firefighters, as he had not paid the required fee. According to the "law," then, the situation was handled correctly. I agree with bzmomof7; there's something flawed with the system.

• Members

I suppose them, in order to be neighborly and express compassion and love one would have to stand back and let the house burn while saying, "We taught them a lesson, didn't we."

:goodpost:

The actions of the firemen and the municipal policies that allowed such an atrocity to occur are nothing short of appalling. It is utterly unconscionable that the firemen had the ability to stop this from occurring, but simply did nothing, all for lack of a simple fee. There is simply no excuse. None.

• Members

:goodpost:

The actions of the firemen and the municipal policies that allowed such an atrocity to occur are nothing short of appalling. It is utterly unconscionable that the firemen had the ability to stop this from occurring, but simply did nothing, all for lack of a simple fee. There is simply no excuse. None.

Yes it is, yet that's the mind set of many modern day Christians is to let his neighbors house burn while he watches it, maybe even holding a stick with a hotdog on it making a picnic out of it..

In our area we have a Mennonite fired department, they've got membership dues, yet, even if a home owner does not pay the dues, they will give their all to try and save what they can.

Miss Linda, Those who would stand and watch a families house burn down, show no love whatsoever, they prOBably would never do as the good Samaritan did, have compassion.

Lu 10:33 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,

Nor:

Mt 5:43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

love their neighbors, more especially their enemies.

PS. I hope Jesus does not send me a bill. Edited by Jerry80871852

• Members

Yes it is, yet that's the mind set of many modern day Christians is to let his neighbors house burn while he watches it, maybe even holding a stick with a hotdog on it making a picnic out of it..

In our area we have a Mennonite fired department, they've got membership dues, yet, even if a home owner does not pay the dues, they will give their all to try and save what they can.

Miss Linda, Those who would stand and watch a families house burn down, show no love whatsoever, they prOBably would never do as the good Samaritan did, have compassion.

Lu 10:33 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,

Nor:

Mt 5:43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

love their neighbors, more especially their enemies.

PS. I hope Jesus does not send me a bill.

:amen:

(And thank you for those Scripture verses!)

• Members

Hmmm ... Here's a thought. Do you think this "compassion" will be displayed at the Great White Throne? "I know I had the opportunity for salvation before now, but I promise to be good after you let me into your heaven." PrOBably won't work. Just like man has a choice to accept or reject Christ, this family had a choice to accept or reject the fire protection.

Now, it's time for the neighborhood churches to display true compassion by providing for this displaced family.

• Members

Hmmm ... Here's a thought. Do you think this "compassion" will be displayed at the Great White Throne? "I know I had the opportunity for salvation before now, but I promise to be good after you let me into your heaven." PrOBably won't work. Just like man has a choice to accept or reject Christ, this family had a choice to accept or reject the fire protection.

Now, it's time for the neighborhood churches to display true compassion by providing for this displaced family.

Ooooh.

If nothing else, its a good sermon illustration. :-)

• Members

One of my neighbors has treated me and my family in evil ways but if his house were on fire or I saw him fall from a ladder or get attacked by a dog, I'd run to his aid.

Suzy said it good, they should have saved the home and then sent them a bill. I couldn't stand by and watch someones home burn down whether they had paid or not.

• Members

One of my neighbors has treated me and my family in evil ways but if his house were on fire or I saw him fall from a ladder or get attacked by a dog, I'd run to his aid.

Suzy said it good, they should have saved the home and then sent them a bill. I couldn't stand by and watch someones home burn down whether they had paid or not.

Agreed!