• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Nuclear Missile Crisis

John81

• Members

Did anyone catch the report on Fox News yesterday about America's nuclear missile problems? I was hoping to see a story online about this today to link to but haven't so far.

It seems most of our nuclear missiles are 30-40 years old and some that have been inspected failed their inspections. It's been 16 years since the last nuclear missile test.

Millions of dollars are needed to upgrade and test our nuclear missiles but Bush failed to do this and it's likely Obama will not do this either.

One of the most disturbing things I heard in the report was that due to the massive decline in America's manufacturing base it's possible that America couldn't produce a new nuclear missile if they had to! :eek

So, while China is building a modern war maching, including nuclear missiles aimed at American cities, and other nations are building or improving nuclear arms they have and others are working to build them, America has allowed her nuclear deterent abilities to basically rust. Not only that, she has allowed her ability to produce the weapons she needs to disappear.

• Moderators

[quote="IM4given"]It's okay John , I am sure Canada and Mexico will be willing to protect us if there are any real threats to our safety![/quote]
:haha That's funny... I thought [i]you[/i] were supposed to protect [i]us[/i]! :shootme:

• Members

From what they reported on Fox News the other day, America would be hard pressed to truly protect herself, let alone anyone else, right now.

It was reported that the ability to fight a two theater war, which was one of the hallmarks of American military preparedness during the Cold War, has eroded away. America is no longer capable of fighting two separate theaters of war as she did in WWII. It was pointed out that if a crisis evolved today which required American troops (such as war in Korea...that was their example) America would have to withdraw from Iraq and Afghanistan in order to have the troops to send there.

There were further reports on how thinly stretched American forces are right now, supply problems, etc.

It would seem America isn't nearly has militarily powerful and capable as she once was nor as she tries to convince others she still is.

• Members

Wow! Not sure that's good news for either of our countries.

Wouldn't do us much good if an enemy managed to be able to prevent America from receiving exports out of England.

During the First Gulf War there were some worries that Japan might cut off the supply of certain computer components needed for American missiles. It was reported at the time that America was unable to manufacture those critical parts at home.

America is a giant walking a tightrope held by those who could let go at any time.

• Members
From what they reported on Fox News the other day, America would be hard pressed to truly protect herself, let alone anyone else, right now.

It was reported that the ability to fight a two theater war, which was one of the hallmarks of American military preparedness during the Cold War, has eroded away. America is no longer capable of fighting two separate theaters of war as she did in WWII. It was pointed out that if a crisis evolved today which required American troops (such as war in Korea...that was their example) America would have to withdraw from Iraq and Afghanistan in order to have the troops to send there.

There were further reports on how thinly stretched American forces are right now, supply problems, etc.

It would seem America isn't nearly has militarily powerful and capable as she once was nor as she tries to convince others she still is.

The only way we were able to fight two seperate theaters of war in WW2, was the Draft.

• Members

The only way we were able to fight two seperate theaters of war in WW2, was the Draft.

Very true; that plus a powerful manufacturing base which supplied the troops (something we also no longer have). Even so, the American strategic plan since WWII was to be able to fight a two theater war. The military now says they are unable to do that. In fact, many have long proclaimed they are stretched nearly to the limits dealing with Iraq and their small deployment in Afghanistan.

• Members

Very true; that plus a powerful manufacturing base which supplied the troops (something we also no longer have). Even so, the American strategic plan since WWII was to be able to fight a two theater war. The military now says they are unable to do that. In fact, many have long proclaimed they are stretched nearly to the limits dealing with Iraq and their small deployment in Afghanistan.

That is because after WWII we now have a substantial presence in S. Korea, Japan, Europe, Saudi Arabia, and many other locations across the world. You just can't pull the troops out of those locations and expose your throat or underbelly! I say draft every 19 to 21 year old man and women for military and national service, that should solve the staffing shortage.

• Members

That is because after WWII we now have a substantial presence in S. Korea, Japan, Europe, Saudi Arabia, and many other locations across the world. You just can't pull the troops out of those locations and expose your throat or underbelly! I say draft every 19 to 21 year old man and women for military and national service, that should solve the staffing shortage.

During the Cold War it was expected a two theater war would likely be in Europe and Asia (like WWII). Therefore, those forces stationed in Europe would be on the front lines and America would have reenforcements there right away. Some of the Asian troops would be on the front, perhaps, or at least close enough to get there quickly, with reenforcements coming from America right away.

I've studied much of this many years ago and it never ceased to amaze me at the way the America military believed a Soviet attack would be ground to a halt so quickly; that American responses would be so perfect; that the Soviets would be forced on the defensive/retreat in short order; and America would have the war won in record time.

I remember reading several scenarios of how the American military believed the Soviets might attack (where, when, with what forces, etc.) and in every case the America military planners envisioned a swift and nearly flawless American response that would shut down the Soviet forces quickly.

Now I suppose such could have turned out that way, but it's HIGHLY unlikely.

• Members

Why don't you talk to American troops who have trained with people forced to be in the military. They're a shoddy lot, incapable of keeping up with our boys, and constant whiners and complainers. Besides, there's no Constitutional justification for the nonsense that you spouted.