• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Contemporary Music Brings Great Changes to Churches

• Members
Enlarged September 28, 2010 (first published August 11, 2003) (David Cloud, Fundamental Baptist Information Service, P.O. Box 610368, Port Huron, MI 48061, 866-295-4143, fbns@wayoflife.org; for instructions about subscribing and unsubscribing or changing addresses, see the information paragraph at the end of the article) -

Contemporary Christian Worship music is spreading across all denominational lines, and when it enters a church it brings more than a change in music. It brings a worldly philosophy of Christianity and a gradual lowering of all standards of morality and doctrine.

sears-gordon with david 08-2001
The late Gordon Sears, (shown right with Bro. Cloud) who had an evangelistic music ministry for many years and ministered with Rudy Atwood, was saddened before his death by the dramatic change that was occurring in many fundamental Baptist churches. He warned: “When the standard of music is lowered, then the standard of dress is also lowered. When the standard of dress is lowered, then the standard of conduct is also lowered. When the standard of conduct is lowered, then the sense of value in God’s truth is lowered.”

Frank Garlock of Majesty Music warns, “If a church starts using CCM it will eventually lose all other standards” (Garlock, BOB Jones University Chapel, March 12, 2001).

The late Ernest Pickering gave a similar warning: “Perhaps nothing precipitates a slide toward New Evangelicalism more than the introduction of Contemporary Christian Music. This inevitably leads toward a gradual slide in other areas as well until the entire church is infiltrated by ideas and programs alien to the original position of the church.”

We can see the fulfillment of these warnings on every hand. Consider some examples:

AKRON BAPTIST TEMPLE, AKRON, OHIO

Akron Baptist Temple was founded in 1935 by Dallas Billington. From the 1940s to the 1960s it had one of the largest Sunday morning crowds in the nation.In September 1960, during a Sunday School campaign, it averaged 6,000 in attendance, and was dubbed “the World’s Largest Sunday School” by Elmer Towns. In those days it was a typical Independent Baptist church, very conservative in music and dress, committed to the King James Bible, and aggressive in evangelism, particularly through the use of promotionalism to draw big crowds. Upon the death of Dallas Billington in 1972, his son Charles assumed the pastorate. In 1996, Dallas’ grandson Dallas R. Billington became pastor, and took the church in a contemporary direction.

View the full article

• Members

I'm not sure I agree with the premise of the article that bringing in CCM is what causes the lowering of standards. I'm leaning toward the argument that the lowering of standards is what allows CCM to come into the church, along with the other stuff.

But I could be wrong, and your mileage may vary.

Mitch

• Members

I'm not sure I agree with the premise of the article that bringing in CCM is what causes the lowering of standards. I'm leaning toward the argument that the lowering of standards is what allows CCM to come into the church, along with the other stuff.

But I could be wrong, and your mileage may vary.

Mitch

I think both can happen.

• Members

I guess I don't see this issue entirely in a "standards" framework...I think there's a lot more to it than just that, since "standards" are more surface issues. Standards change because of changing worldviews, changing goals, and changing philosophies about what "church" is...and who "church" is for. For example, the kind of music that Bill Hybels' mega-church Willow Creek uses (and, yes, I've attended a service there) reflects what they think they should be accomplishing as a ministry. They are entirely market-driven and are therefore seeker-sensitive. So, the kind of music they use will be what they think is attractive to the people who attend.

Every Tuesday on the way to my kids' music lessons, we pass a Baptist church that advertises three services on Sunday morning: "traditional," "contemporary," and "modern." Posted on the front lawn is a huge banner displaying a chocolate bar which has the words "sweet spot" on it. This church is OBviously marketing Christianity; it has a consumer/product mindset. No doubt this philosophy is reflected in every area of the church, including its music program. This church's post-modern, consumerist philosophy drives its activities and worship. The appeal is not spiritual, but carnal in nature. Like chocolate? Try Jesus; He's like chocolate. Like contemporary music? Come on in...We have just the service for you! It's all about YOU, the consumer. We have just the products YOU need.

• Members

Standards are indeed funny things. There are some standards that might be viewed as being on a scale and it would be appropriate to discuss "higher" or "lower" standards. They are usually things that can be OBjectively measured. In other instances standards may be more appropriately viewed as not being on a scale, but rather a difference matrix. They are usually things that are more subjective in nature and there may not be a measurement needed.

Standards are not necessarily always the same thing as a command of God. A command of God is definitely a standard, but there are other things that people set up as "standards" that are definitely not specifically addressed in God's Word.

Great conversation, can't wait to hear others discuss this with the irishman.

• Members

Provident Label Group is a standalone operating divisions of Sony Music Entertainment. http://providentpress.com/ shows some of their popular artist as Casting Crowns, Leeland, Third Day, Jars of Clay, Michael W. Smith .... and more. At the bottom of the website it states clearly "© 2010 Provident Label Group LLC, a unit of SONY MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT. All Rights Reserved."

I don't understand how any Church could use music published by Sony Music. You see, Sony also owns Columbia/Epic Label Group and some of their artist are listed as AC/DC, Aerosmith, Beastie Boys, Neil Diamond, The Rolling Stones .... and more.

Sparrow Records is a division of EMI. Sparrow Records currently has signed on Steven Curtis Chapman, Amy Grant, Bethany Dillon, Amy Grant, Matthew West ... and more.

I don't understand how any Church could use music published by EMI. You see, EMI also owns Capitol Music Group. Capital has on their roll Garth Brooks, The Beach Boys, Tina Turner and they distribute Apple Records (The Beatles) .... and more.

Fact is. Most Christian Pop musicians are making money for the WORLD.

Churches sing "Praise" music right? Ok. Who writes a bunch of it? One such guy would be Chris Tomlin. He is currently signed to EMI's sixstepsrecords ....

So, when Churches hold hands and sing "How Great Is Our God" or "Indescribable" they sing music connected to John Lennon. Together they make people rich.

How can such Godly music live together with ungodly?

• Members

Provident Label Group (so-called Christian music label) is a standalone operating divisions of Sony Music Entertainment. http://providentpress.com/ shows some of their popular artist as Casting Crowns, Leeland, Third Day, Jars of Clay, Michael W. Smith .... and more. At the bottom of the website it states clearly "© 2010 Provident Label Group LLC, a unit of SONY MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT. All Rights Reserved."

I don't understand how any Church could use music published by Sony Music. You see, Sony also owns Columbia/Epic Label Group and some of their artist are listed as AC/DC, Aerosmith, Beastie Boys, Neil Diamond, The Rolling Stones .... and more. Not to mention, Sony Pictures Entertainment is on their roll also .... some really ungodly movies come out of that mess. Some rated NC-17.

Sparrow Records (so-called Christian) is a division of EMI. Sparrow Records currently has signed on Steven Curtis Chapman, Amy Grant, Bethany Dillon, Amy Grant, Matthew West ... and more.

I don't understand how any Church could use music published by EMI. You see, EMI also owns Capitol Music Group. Capital has on their roll Garth Brooks, The Beach Boys, Tina Turner and they distribute Apple Records (The Beatles) .... and more.

Fact is. Most Christian Pop musicians are making money for the WORLD. They use the WORLDS system to distribute and market music. I see no reason why they couldn't at least start a Christian label that doesn't connect with the world. No wonder their music is just like the worlds, they are yoked with the world.

Churches sing "Praise" music right? Ok. Who writes a bunch of it? One such guy would be Chris Tomlin. He is currently signed to EMI's sixstepsrecords .... So, when Churches hold hands and sing "How Great Is Our God" or "Indescribable" they sing music connected to John Lennon. Together they make/made people rich.

How can such Godly music live together with ungodly? It CAN'T!!!!!!!!!! How can such ungodly record labels be credited for spreading the gospel? They DON'T!!!!!!!!!

It's MONEY MAKING BUSINESS and so-called Churches are buying into it.

Makes me sick.

Edited by God's Child

• Members

Most people do not know about those types of associations, nor would I expect them too.....

Back to the article, I agree that once CCM is in, all standards seem to suffer.

They should know the associations. And it's with the associations that it becomes clear why churches suffer with so-called CCM. You can't mix the world with Church. If the sales suffer on a CD the artist is cut, song won't be featured at worship service. If the song is popular it's sung in Church. It's all music business and sheet music is sold still fueling ungodly artist on the same label. Churches sing many of the "top 10" Praise and Worship songs. Just like the radio plays them also. It's all about popularity, business, numbers and money. If it's ministry they are fooled.

CCM kills silently. Edited by God's Child

• Members

So, you are telling me that Mrs. Jones, the 80 year old widow of the church should know about the legal associations between various record labels?

I believe leadership should know and consider this when making music purchases.

How would you like it if you found out Sony was behind your worship music unto God? They made money off it? Edited by God's Child

• Members

I believe leadership should know and consider this when making music purchases.

How would you like it if you found out Sony was behind your worship music unto God? They made money off it?

I would have the same feelings as I would if I found out the power company supplying my church with electricity was actually owned by Sony. I'd have no issue with it as long as the product coming into my Church was acceptable.