• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

James the Preacher is back online. Praise the Lord!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

I have a question to anyone. Does God inflict illness or bad things on people? Or does Satan do that?

It's actually a combination, Al. God allows things; there are times He inflicts for one reason or another (although I don't believe it's as often as many people claim...). Satan does inflict and cause trouble - but, for Christians, only what God allows. And illness and bad things often come upon people because of their own decisions or actions (i.e. - HIV mostly comes upon people for poor sexual choices and/or drug usage, etc). We reap what we sow, whether or not we are saved. That is an immutable law of nature that God set up.

God hates sin. Because sin is a violation of God's holiness. And many times, a preacher needs to preach against sin and let people know that God hates it. But God loves man. And He proved that by sending His Son to the cross to die for the sins of all. And He forgives all who call upon Him - again because He loves them. The sad thing is there are many, many who reject Him.

• Members

There has been a lot of overemphasis upon God's love and it does a disservice to tell lost sinners God loves them no matter what they do, as it implies in the minds of many, perhaps most, that since they are loved by God anyway they can keep going in sin and hold to the false teaching many have in their mind that a loving God won't send them to hell.

God loved us enough to provide a way for us to be with Him, yet those who reject the gift of salvation in Christ are condemned. The wrath of God already abides upon the lost and the only way they can know God's love is to be born again in Christ.

"He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him." John 3:36

• Members

There has been a lot of overemphasis upon God's love and it does a disservice to tell lost sinners God loves them no matter what they do, as it implies in the minds of many, perhaps most, that since they are loved by God anyway they can keep going in sin and hold to the false teaching many have in their mind that a loving God won't send them to hell.

God loved us enough to provide a way for us to be with Him, yet those who reject the gift of salvation in Christ are condemned. The wrath of God already abides upon the lost and the only way they can know God's love is to be born again in Christ.

"He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him." John 3:36

So you have stopped loving your son while he is in rebellion and sin?

• Members

So you have stopped loving your son while he is in rebellion and sin?

trc, your question is redundant--you cannot get away from the love of God, no matter where you go, or what you do. (Rom. 8:35, 38 and 39 also see Psa. 139:7-12) I cannot speak for John 81, but I do believe that what he is trying say is right. Men have a "welfare mentality" when it comes to grace; they seem to think they can be saved, and continue in their sin, which is not, of course, actually being saved. They think that God loves them, and wants to give them eternal life, so they'll take it, but don't bother them with details. The Bible clearly states that there will be a change, how great of a change we cannot tell, but there will be a definite change, and they will "hate the evil and love the good". Edited by irishman

• Members

trc, your question is redundant--you cannot get away from the love of God, no matter where you go, or what you do. (Rom. 8:35, 38 and 39 also see Psa. 139:7-12) I cannot speak for John 81, but I do believe that what he is trying say is right. Men have a "welfare mentality" when it comes to grace; they seem to think they can be saved, and continue in their sin, which is not, of course, actually being saved. They think that God loves them, and wants to give them eternal life, so they'll take it, but don't bother them with details. The Bible clearly states that there will be a change, how great of a change we cannot tell, but there will be a definite change, and they will "hate the evil and love the good".

:thumb:

• Members

I have a question to anyone. Does God inflict illness or bad things on people? Or does Satan do that?

Exodus 4:11
And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD?

Exodus 20:5
Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

Leviticus 5:17
And if a soul sin, and commit any of these things which are forbidden to be done by the commandments of the LORD; though he wist it not, yet is he guilty, and shall bear his iniquity.

2 Kings 6:18
And when they came down to him, Elisha prayed unto the LORD, and said, Smite this people, I pray thee, with blindness. And he smote them with blindness according to the word of Elisha.

God indeed can cause sickness and various maladies upon people. But that is done as just punishment. Satan does what he does out of mischief.