• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What is a Ruckmanite

• Members
Labelling is just easier than explaining.. I can go on and on explaining about my hearing loss' date=' but I rather stick with the word "Severely hard of hearing".[/quote']

In the world of "black'n white" fundamentalist thought, there is no room for explaining.............only labeling. {okay, okay, okay, I got to stop this sarcasm or Seth is going to chastise me}

I praise God that not everything is so "cut and dried" in his creation and dealings with me!

• Members
Labelling is just easier than explaining.. I can go on and on explaining about my hearing loss' date=' but I rather stick with the word "Severely hard of hearing".[/quote']
Yes. In your case, the label is not only clear, but also self-applied (which means you have accepted the label as an accurate description of yourself). The labels I was talking about are ones which are not self-assigned, and therefore are not usually accurate or accepted by the receiver of the label. Such labeling is not only unfair, but also nonproductive. Since I do not wish to be unfairly labeled, I endeavor not to do the same to others.

• Members

People often do fit labels they don't want to except. The often want to claim to something that makes them seem less or more than what they are. I once heard a statement that went something like this:

"If you want to know what kind of man or christian a man is, don't ask him. Go ask his wife."

The truth of the matter is, people often see themselves as something they aren't; but when others - and especially if there are many in agreement - see them differently, you can usually count on those on the outside looking in. Obviously it also depends on who those people are on the outside and what their beliefs are. But, for the most part, the way others see us is more accurate than our own depiction of ourselves.

• Members

Annie,

Labels help us understand what camps people are in from a Doctrinal position. However, in the case of Ruckmanites, this is a cult that has promoted serious false doctrine. God tells us to name those people. There is nothing wrong with labeling this kind.

Most IFB churches will fall into one of several camps. If I were moving into an area, I can find out a lot about a church by knowing what school their pastor went to.

These are typical things found at these churches
Hyles - Cultish, strong on dress standards, no depth in preaching (typically), holds to the KJV
Sword Crowd (PCC, Crown - Main schools) - KJV, Dress Standards, solid doctrinally
FBF Crowd (BJU, Maranatha, Northland) - KJV Preference - Anything goes on the Bible - Strong Music standards, no dress standards

I am at an FBF church right now that holds to the KJV as a preference. All teachers are asked to use the KJV. Their music standards are great. However, they have no dress standards at all, except on the platform.

Unfortunately, the only other IFB churches in the area are Hyles churches and I wouldn't attend either of them.

There are obviously exceptions to these descriptions. However, generally speaking labels are helpful.

• Moderators

Wow, looks like my label would be alphabet soup

btw, I've known (personally) preachers from Liberty that you'd have thought were from BBC, from BBC you'd assume were PBI, PBI that appeared Arlington.

Many times because of there pastor's influence (or their Dad's) before they went to that school.

• Members

FBF Crowd (BJU, Maranatha, Northland) - KJV Preference - Anything goes on the Bible - Strong Music standards, no dress standards

You have proved my point exactly. This is a careless categorization, far from accurate, and therefore not at all helpful in discussions. My pastor is a graduate of BJU, but he's not a member of the FBF. (I can't imagine that he ever would be, even if invited. He disagrees with them on a number of significant issues.) Our church is certainly NOT "anything goes on the Bible." I'm not sure what you mean by "dress standards"...but most of the ladies of the church wear dresses to worship services, and all of them wear modest apparel on the street. Our music is not CCM or Southern gospel, but there are no "rules" in place when it comes to music. So...not sure on the "strong music standards" part, either ("strong" compared to what, and according to whose definition?). People who use Southern gospel in their worship would not call our church's practice "strong," since they obviously think it's "stronger" to use S.G. You see, this label reflects your own personal experience and perspective...not mine or anybody else's. The word "standards" is used very little, if at all, at our church, so using that word to define our church really isn't accurate at all. So, what might happen now (if you want to defend your use of the label) is that we'll all start weighing in on who thinks it's a good label, and who doesn't...which will, as always, distract from the original topic of the discussion. Such is the problem with applying labels.

EDITED TO ADD: Our church isn't KJV-preferred, either.

• Members

You have proved my point exactly. This is a careless categorization, far from accurate, and therefore not at all helpful in discussions. My pastor is a graduate of BJU, but he's not a member of the FBF. (I can't imagine that he ever would be, even if invited. He disagrees with them on a number of significant issues.) Our church is certainly NOT "anything goes on the Bible." I'm not sure what you mean by "dress standards"...but most of the ladies of the church wear dresses to worship services, and all of them wear modest apparel on the street. Our music is not CCM or Southern gospel, but there are no "rules" in place when it comes to music. So...not sure on the "strong music standards" part, either ("strong" compared to what, and according to whose definition?). People who use Southern gospel in their worship would not call our church's practice "strong," since they obviously think it's "stronger" to use S.G. You see, this label reflects your own personal experience and perspective...not mine or anybody else's. The word "standards" is used very little, if at all, at our church, so using that word to define our church really isn't accurate at all. So, what might happen now (if you want to defend your use of the label) is that we'll all start weighing in on who thinks it's a good label, and who doesn't...which will, as always, distract from the original topic of the discussion. Such is the problem with applying labels.

I don't think it matters what college you graduate, but where you stand that put you in that crowd.

• Members

actually, I wasn't the one who picked my label. My audiologist, doctors, and teachers choose it for me. I rather label myself deaf but it wouldn't be an accurate description of my hearing loss especially if I wear hearing aids and don't use sign languages. The reason I wanted to label deaf because without my hearing aids, that is what I am. I can't hear a thing.

oh and the teachers also label me as stubborn.

• Moderators

I am labeled male (which I am), believers were called Christians 1st @ Antioch (labeled by others and yet I am willing to acceot that label), I am labeled overweight (which I am), bald (somewhat), middle aged (OK), American (right). Labeling itself is not always a negative thing.

• Members

Rightly applied, labels can be helpful and generally accurate. Of course, overuse, wrong use or the broadbrush use of labels can be a problem.

Those who label anyone who is pro-KJB as a Ruckmanite are using a very broadbrush application of the term Ruckmanite and they are wrong.

That said, with regards to Ruckmanites, there are many who proudly take that label upon themselves. There are also those who fit the label because of their stands with regards to Ruckman and his teachings.