• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Who May Baptize?

• Members

A true New Testament Church has the authority to baptize. Its customary for the pastor to do the baptizing, yet he baptizes under the authority of the New Testament Church. And actually it seems the New Testament Church can designate any man that is a member of their church to do the baptizing.

This is close to what I believe the bible says. God does the choosing though, and its the same person he chose to witness to them.

In some churches, the preacher is really a God sent one, and you won't see much difference, because he does a lot of the witnessing that actually saves someone. Great heart from Pilgrim's Progress is this sort.

In other churches, the preacher is a false man made one, and you'll see a lot of difference, because who God gives to go out and witness and baptise is a different man. Edited by MaxKennedy

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Well, how communion is handled would certainly be up to the individual churches - but I've never heard of an IFB church where pastoral approval is required to partake.
But, again, ultimately the father is responsible for making sure his child(ren) rightly do anything...(when they are under his roof, I mean)

No, its not up to the local church how the Lord's Supper is done, its not up to the pastor, its not up to the father which is head of the family to say if their child can partake of the Lord's Supper if he has not been saved nor a member of the local church, its up to Jesus, and we have instructions within the pages of the Bible, and remember, Jesus is still the head of the local church, not the pastor.

Eph 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

• Members

This is close to what I believe the bible says. God does the choosing though, and its the same person he chose to witness to them.

In some churches, the preacher is really a God sent one, and you won't see much difference, because he does a lot of the witnessing that actually saves someone. Great heart from Pilgrim's Progress is this sort.

In other churches, the preacher is a false man made one, and you'll see a lot of difference, because who God gives to go out and witness and baptise is a different man.

The authority to baptize is given to the local church.

Mt 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Mt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Mt 28:20 Teaching them to OBserve all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Mt 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Of which Christ is the head, not the pastor.

Eph 4:15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

Christ has given the authority to baptize to the local church, most local church that follow the Bible has the pastor to do the baptizing, if the church does not have a pastor at that time one of the male members can be given the authority by that local church to baptize a person that has been saved and ask to be baptized.

Within the pages of the Bible we have instruction for nearly every situation, we much study the Word, so that we can rightly divide the word of the truth and truly follow Jesus.

2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

• Members

Many thought provoking posts, and as always, they must be examined in the light of Scripture.

Scripture says we are to make disciples, not just converts, and the biblical model is presenting the Gospel to the lost and those who are born again are immediately baptized (this doesn't happen much anymore) and this is to be followed by purposeful discipleship (this is very rare today).

It seems all too often the witnessing is overemphasized (sadly, often in a wrong manner such as easy believeism), baptism is an afterthought, and discipleship is ignored.

It seems this portion of the Great Commission isn't followed much:
Mt 28:20 Teaching them to OBserve all things whatsoever I have commanded you...

Why?

• Members

I took some time to talk with my pastor again about this situation. At this moment he won't share his true feelings regarding my daughter taking communion, but he did say that he can't 'police' what I do. So, he basically left it in my hands. It appears to be a touchy subject and he fears his words will offend me.

• Members

I took some time to talk with my pastor again about this situation. At this moment he won't share his true feelings regarding my daughter taking communion, but he did say that he can't 'police' what I do. So, he basically left it in my hands. It appears to be a touchy subject and he fears his words will offend me.

Are you in a good church? A pastor should never fear offending those in his church by presenting the Word of God or stating his position on any topic a member may ask him about.

• Members

Are you in a good church? A pastor should never fear offending those in his church by presenting the Word of God or stating his position on any topic a member may ask him about.

I agree, and this current situation has become a climax of issues and troubles with this fellowship of believers.

I am battling in my head lately "what makes up a good Church?" .....

It bothers me that in two years only one person has gotten saved in our Church. Should that bother me? Edited by God's Child

• Members

I agree, and this current situation has become a climax of issues and troubles with this fellowship of believers.

I am battling in my head lately "what makes up a good Church?" .....

It bothers me that in two years only one person has gotten saved in our Church. Should that bother me?

From what you have stated in this thread I'd be concerned and prOBably consider looking for a different church home.

• Members

From what you have stated in this thread I'd be concerned and prOBably consider looking for a different church home.

My wife and I have been talking about that very subject lately. This Church has hurt our views of the IFB Community. I thought we were compatible, but lately I wonder. Seems like the devil works in all sorts of ways to hurt the Church.

• Members

My wife and I have been talking about that very subject lately. This Church has hurt our views of the IFB Community. I thought we were compatible, but lately I wonder. Seems like the devil works in all sorts of ways to hurt the Church.

No church is immune to attacks from the devil, or from the world and the flesh for that matter. This is why good churches, and good pastors, keep guard against such. We have some IFB churches in this area that to one extent or another have all moved away from their biblical roots.

• Members

No church is immune to attacks from the devil, or from the world and the flesh for that matter. This is why good churches, and good pastors, keep guard against such. We have some IFB churches in this area that to one extent or another have all moved away from their biblical roots.

What biblical roots must a IFB Church not move away from?

At our Church there seems to be less preaching about how to seek the Holy Spirit for conviction and more moving toward leadership speaking for the Holy Spirit. It makes many new converts and babes in Christ leave or give up on the little faith they have. It's sad to watch.

Honestly, I am confused what makes a good IFB Church ... well .... what makes it good? What roots must they follow?

My pastor likes John MacArthur, is he a good leader for the IFB community? I don't think so, but I could be wrong. Edited by God's Child

• Members

I would not ask men permision to baptise someone after God already used me to save them, any more then I'd ask a woman advice on what I should do spiritually, because the bible condemns both.

If you had faith to be led by the Holy Spirit to witness to someone, you have faith to baptise them.

So, then, Max, I can baptize people? According to what Scriptural precedent? The only people Scripture shows baptizing are John the Baptist and the apostles...all men...all ordained of God as ministers of the gospel. What if an aunt or uncle gets saved because of my 11-year-old daughter's witness? Should my daughter, a child, then baptize that person? What if an infirm elderly person leads someone to Christ? Is he sinning if he doesn't get out of his wheelchair and baptize that person? You might say, "No, he's not sinning." What Scripture informs us as to whether this person is sinning or not?

• Members

The Bible never forbids anyone the ability to baptize from what I recall. Paul didn't baptize much, but left it for other people to perform.

Here is an interesting study, how many people are illustrated in the Bible as being soul winners that never were ordained?

Edited by God's Child

• Members

The Bible never forbids anyone the ability to baptize from what I recall. Paul didn't baptize much, but left it for other people to perform.

Here is an interesting study, how many people are illustrated in the Bible as being soul winners that never were ordained?

Good baptist preachers almost always tear up their preaching licensing, pastor credentials, and other man created documents. Seen and
heard of many of them doing so. And some denominations think that only preachers are allowed to win souls too. Witnessing and baptising are the same things, and it is exactly this that is the distinction between baptists and other denominations. Although getting arrested for "preaching without a license" is by and large gone, you still see the remains of this wickedness in things like jail house ministries, where the unsaved are still trying to hinder God's ministers.

Annie - I said I wasn't going to argue this point. I specifically said it because I am distressed with the number of women on here who
are pastors wives and specifically want to argue religion in a self interested sort of way. I will not argue with a woman, especially over the funding for their family, as wrong as it may be, but I believe Paul's admonishment - women aren't to excercise authority over men.

Baptism by special man created priests is not only damnable, one of the basic sins as the catholic church - who call all their priests fathers because of it, but its whorish. At the point you are baptized, you are either baptised with the Holy Spirit, and born from above in New Jerusalem, the mother of us all as the bible says, or you are baptised from below by the works of men. Although fornicating with a false church can include in a sense any type of false doctrine, I can think of no doctrine that so closely fits the nature of actual fornication then that of baptism, and how you are born into the church. In Revelation, the jezebel church has her children struck dead because of fornication. Let's not be the same way, nor like the catholic church, where every priest is a father instead of the one that matters - God who only is our Holy Father, and its literally a big whore with lots of different fathers.

When I witness to someone and I am filled with the Holy Spirit, and Jesus is beside me and baptises them with the Holy Spirit, if I can baptise them and don't, I think its a sin. The bible tells me to baptize. If they are baptised with the Holy Spirit by Jesus, who can forbid water? The bible also tells me not to fornicate. I am sure that if I do things the way the Lord commands, that I will be a witness to many saved people. When the bible says Jesus will teach us to be fishers of men, it wasn't talking lines and rods, it was talking big nets overflowing with fish.

Baptism is the distinguishing mark of baptists. A lot of baptist churches are becoming catholic I think. Edited by MaxKennedy

• Members

Annie - I said I wasn't going to argue this point. I specifically said it because I am distressed with the number of women on here who
are pastors wives and specifically want to argue religion in a self interested sort of way. I will not argue with a woman, especially over the funding for their family, as wrong as it may be, but I believe Paul's admonishment - women aren't to excercise authority over men.

Max, I'm not sure whom you are talking about. I'm not a pastor's wife, and I have absolutely no self interest at stake in this discussion, as it doesn't affect me one way or the other. I want no authority over any man; I'd simply like to have my questions answered. I'm a learner and student of Scripture just like others on this board, and I'm asking you questions that you are not answering with Scripture. When someone makes the statement that a person is sinning if he/she does not immediately baptize a person whom he/she has helped to understand and accept the gospel, I would like to know the Scripture which states this fact. I look at Scripture and see a strong precedent set...Can you point me to one woman in Scripture who baptized people? A child? Someone who was not specifically ordained by God to do so (John the Baptist and the apostles)? The Great Comission must be compared with other Scriptures which elaborate upon it. Otherwise, you do have women exercising spiritual authority over men as they "teach all nations."

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by the phrase "funding for their family." I must have missed something.

Please know, Max, that I'm really not trying to be argumentative. I am asking you questions that I hope you will answer biblically.