• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Big night for tea party: O'Donnell wins Delaware

• Members

Interestingly, on AFR today there was someone on there confronting "moderates". He pointed out there is no such thing. That whether a Dem or Repub calling themselves moderates, what it really means is they are liberals who generally support homosexual "marriage", abortion and such.

When it comes down to it Christians are to base their views and positions upon the Word of God and nothing else. Scripture tells us one of the functions of government is to thwart evil and Scripture gives examples of that which the government should stand against.

As well, Scripture is clear as to the position Christians should hold on the issues at hand. God created marriage and the family. God's Word tells us all we need to know.

The question is, are we going to follow Christ or someone else?

Why are you so bound and determined to say that there is no such thing as a moderate? Anyone who knows anything about politics knows that that is not the case. In fact, wherever there is a range of views to be held there will be moderates. AFR? Figures.

To be honest, the labels conservative, moderate, liberal and so on are comparative labels. Their meanings change frequently and only have meaning when being compared to other views. For example, compared to your views on many issues my views are liberal. However, compared to say, the late Senator Kennedy or perhaps Congresswoman Pelosi, many of my views are conservative. Therefore, when you examine me within the spectrum, the only fitting label is moderate.

Yes, on this board or according to AFR I am liberal. Yes, at a NOW gathering I would be conservative. However, the only way to determine a true political label is to examine beliefs within the entire range of possible views.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Liberals have a few litmus tests and if one passes those they are considered a liberal regardless if some of their other positions are not as totally liberal.

Again though, it's not really a matter of what label one wants to call themselves, it's a matter of where we stand with regard to the Word of God.

• Members
There might not be a Christian conservative as you would define it. I'm not sure what your definition is, but there are conservatives that use Christian rhetoric and ideas. Whether or not they are Christians, I can't say unless I know them personally.

Far right though we have seen. And we have seen the national party pandering to its right wing base. I've said it before, but McCain picking Palin for his running mate and revising some of his stances in the 2008 election was a clear example of pandering to the right wing of the GOP.

Would you care to back up your statement with examples?

Palin is not remotely "far right." Her very existence as a female politician proves she is a liberal. She is a self-proclaimed feminist.

I don't think there's much point, since what we see as 'conservative' and 'liberal' is OBviously quite different. I really can't give examples anyway, since every single person out there that I know of is messed-up.

Forgive me I am misunderstanding your question.
In Christ,
Joel ><>. Edited by Crushmaster

• Members

Again though, it's not really a matter of what label one wants to call themselves, it's a matter of where we stand with regard to the Word of God.

:amen: That's right! We should stand with the Word of God in every area of our life and not just in the church walls on Sunday.

• Members

Palin is not remotely "far right." Her very existence as a female politician proves she is a liberal. She is a self-proclaimed feminist.

I don't think there's much point, since what we see as 'conservative' and 'liberal' is OBviously quite different. I really can't give examples anyway, since every single person out there that I know of is messed-up.

Forgive me I am misunderstanding your question.
In Christ,
Joel ><>.

I know from reading your profile that you do not believe women should be in politics, but regardless of your view on that, I can assure you that Palin is not a feminist in the classic sense. The political ideologies that she espouses are very right wing. She by her own admission is trying to take back the term feminist from liberals who she believes have corrupted the word.

Conservative and liberal relative to ourselves are prOBably different, but conservative and liberal relative to the entire spectrum really shouldn't be different. I'm asking you to give examples of what you think a true conservative would be and then contrast that with all the "liberals and fakes" that we've seen. I'm not asking you to give examples of specific conservative people because you haven't claimed that they exist. Apologies if I wasn't clear.

• Members

One of the prOBlems today is the term conservative no longer means what it did or should. Today what most people call conservatives are actually neo-cons, which are little more than warmed over liberals.

If one only listens to a bit of what Palin has said and listens to the skewed MSM they might think Palin is a conservative. However, if one looks at all she says and how she has governed and how she has conducted herself it becomes clear she is no conservative.

Yet again, these labels don't matter, or shouldn't, for a Christian. What Christians should be considering is what the Word of God says.

• Members
Conservative and liberal relative to ourselves are prOBably different, but conservative and liberal relative to the entire spectrum really shouldn't be different. I'm asking you to give examples of what you think a true conservative would be and then contrast that with all the "liberals and fakes" that we've seen. I'm not asking you to give examples of specific conservative people because you haven't claimed that they exist. Apologies if I wasn't clear.

Ahh, I see what you're saying. Very well; I will try.

He would...
1. Be a godly man, a good husband, a good father.
2. He would read his Bible and pray consistently every day, in large quantities, with much quality.
3. He would refrain from secular movies, television, music, etc.
4. He would exhort healthy living.
5. He would hold the Bible to be the ultimate source of moral truth.
6. He would believe in much lower taxes.
7. His wife wouldn't work.
8. He would hold right views on Bible doctrines, men and women's roles, etc.
9. He would advocate the death penalty in many cases of crime.
10. He would be against abortion and homosexual marriage.
11. He would be sold out utterly and completely to God.
12. He would be brave, tough, masculine, and chivalrous.

I suppose I could put a lot more, but I hope this at least somewhat answers your request.
In Christ,
Joel ><>. Edited by Crushmaster

• Members

Ahh, I see what you're saying. Very well; I will try.

He would...
1. Be a godly man, a good husband, a good father.
2. He would read his Bible and pray consistently every day, in large quantities, with much quality.
3. He would refrain from secular movies, television, music, etc.
4. He would exhort healthy living.
5. He would hold the Bible to be the ultimate source of moral truth.
6. He would believe in much lower taxes.
7. His wife wouldn't work.
8. He would hold right views on Bible doctrines, men and women's roles, etc.
9. He would advocate the death penalty in many cases of crime.
10. He would be against abortion and homosexual marriage.
11. He would be sold out utterly and completely to God.
12. He would be brave, tough, masculine, and chivalrous.

I suppose I could put a lot more, but I hope this at least somewhat answers your request.
In Christ,
Joel ><>.

Fair enough. I could offer some examples of a few men who meet prOBably 11 of 12 of your requirements. The only one I don't know is your #3; I'm not sure that in all cases the men I'm thinking of refrain from all secular forms of entertainment. However, rest assured that there are some politicians, some of whom I know personally that adhere to your requirements. I may not agree with everything they do, but I do respect them.

• Members

I feel that Huckabee and Palin are far right only to the liberal democrats. Even before Huckabee got into politics he was a liberal, yet he is even more liberal today.

Most all politician's use religion for what they can get out of it, votes.

I've noticed it in local politics and its true for national politics, those who claim to be conservative by Bible standards are actually worldly liberal, and use the Bible {God} for their own purpose, try to win elections}, and only hold a form of godliness and will never take a stand on one is saved only by grace through faith, not of your self, not of works, its a free gift.

Edited by Jerry80871852