• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

[book] A History of American Christianity

• Members

I?m reading, A History of American Christianity, by Leonard Woolsey Bacon (1830-1907), a Congregationalist (I do not know what flavor). Whatever his persuasion of Congregationalist, he seems to be remaining fairly unbiased. It seems the older books are a lot better for shedding light on early history in America. I'm not too far into the book and already have good comments for Baptists and Anabaptists. I'll give a review later and a special expanded discussion (personal research) on one of the persons mentioned in his book.

• Members

Looking forward to the review. I've found that older books are generally far more accurate sources of real history. At one time, for many anyway, the truth did matter. Today, more often than not, it's the promoting of ones own agenda and/or the attack upon others that takes the place of any attempt to put forth the truth.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

First, the author, Leonard Woolsey Bacon, is a Congregationalist, and leans to the liberal. He takes personal liberty in using denominational dogma in some instances. Also, a clear preference toward referenced work of his denomination appears throughout. The use of Latin terms makes for some difficulty interpreting his thought. Some Latin phrases were defined within the book but, many more were not and required on-line searching.

Second, I thought the purely historical perspectives of the advance of Christendom were fairly treated. He did give fair comments to our Baptist fore fathers but, in a general sense without very much toward individuals.

Third, I thought the details from America's 2nd Great Awaking to be very enlightening. He quotes many clergy who were either involved or observed the "Camp Meetings."

Fourth, toward the end he showed a preference toward the liberal in uniting of the denominations or a One World Church. I thought I detected a slant toward the "man" side of greater accomplishment through a bond of fellowship. I felt he inserted some preference toward humanism. He was fair to show why that would be difficult if not impossible; particularly where we Baptists are concerned.

Here is an excerpt where he freely admits his preference toward Congregationist references, CHAPTER XXI. THE CHURCH IN THEOLOGY AND LITERATURE.

"In glancing back over this chapter, it will be strange if some are not impressed, and unfavorably impressed, with a disproportion in the names cited as representative, which are taken chiefly from some two or three sects. This may justly be referred in part, no doubt, to the author's point of view and to the "personal equation"; but it is more largely due to the fact that in the specialization of the various sects the work of theological literature and science has been distinctively the lot of the Congregationalists and the Presbyterians, and pre

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
I would recommend "What God Hath Wrought: A Biblical Interpretation of American History" by William P Grady if you are looking for a good Christian history of America.

Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0962880 ... eader-link

Bill

I read as much as they had available at the Amazon site and I'm going to get this book soon. Thanks!