• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

I need Biblical and Practical advice.

Jeny

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

You think that if he wanted to insult someone he'd at least us insults that make sense. A faggot is a pile of sticks or metal rods. It's also a cigarette. So, I don't see how calling someone a pile of sticks is offensive but, it just makes you look idiotic TC.

Who told you 'faggot' meant cigarette? The word 'fag' in the UK does indeed mean cigarette but it's slang. Just as 'faggot' is slang for a male homosexual.

• Members

I don't know if the word is a swear word or not. I have heard a Pastor that I know and respect very much say it before. But, in his defense (if it is a swear word), he's from Texas but has lived in Germany for the last 35 years...his German is much better than his English (he forgets many words).

• Administrators

Who told you 'faggot' meant cigarette? The word 'fag' in the UK does indeed mean cigarette but it's slang. Just as 'faggot' is slang for a male homosexual.

Actually, al is correct. The term faggot has many meanings. It is a meat dish in the UK. It is also the cast-off end of a cigarette (shortened to fag). It is a stitch in sewing. It means to bundle sticks together. It is a knitted lace pattern. It is a stalk of celery tied to some spices, used to cook in soup and then discarded. And it is a term for a composer. Plus the derogatory term which TC used.

I don't think it's a swear word, but neither do I think it's a word that needs to be used. The Bible uses the term homosexual, and infers the term sodomite. Those are more appropriate, imo.

• Members

Actually, al is correct. The term faggot has many meanings. It is a meat dish in the UK. It is also the cast-off end of a cigarette (shortened to fag). It is a stitch in sewing. It means to bundle sticks together. It is a knitted lace pattern. It is a stalk of celery tied to some spices, used to cook in soup and then discarded. And it is a term for a composer. Plus the derogatory term which TC used.

I don't think it's a swear word, but neither do I think it's a word that needs to be used. The Bible uses the term homosexual, and infers the term sodomite. Those are more appropriate, imo.

I'll have to respectfully disagree but maybe we can ask Invicta. I lived in England for 3 1/2 years and it's just "fag" for a cigarette. The whole thing. I just looked it up and it says just "fag" as the slang. Never heard of the meat dish before.

Oh, back to topic...

Do we have a hijack smilie?

• Members
hijacked.gifot.gif

I don't feel faggot would be the best word to use, yet I don't believe I would put anyone down for using it. I know of several pastors that use the word sodomite & or queer, yet I usually use the word homosexual.

The word gay I very seldom use. And I surely would not say that I've been gay here lately. laugh.gif

11backtotopic.gif

• Administrators

My thread has reached 2 page but only few really encouraged and gives me practical advice. Thanks to all who prayed for my situation, a christian needs other christian also.

Jeny - I hope the situation is easing some? And you are so right - we do need each other!!!

How is your sister dealing with all of this?

• Members

My thread has reached 2 page but only few really encouraged and gives me practical advice. Thanks to all who prayed for my situation, a christian needs other christian also.

:amen: Christians are family and we were never intended to live life alone. I'm so thankful for the prayers of my brothers and sisters in Christ and I'm thankful the Lord welcomes my prayers on their behalf as well.

Always feel free to bring your questions and prayer needs to OB; there is always someone here who will take such to the Lord in prayer.