• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Power of Words

• Members

I cut my teeth on a message board where several of its posters were always posting sarcastic saying. Sad to say I slowly got to doing the same. Making such post seems to be the way of life for many on the internet, I suppose its partially due to the thinking that we are truly anonymous. Maybe to it gives us satiation that we have put them in their proper place.

Since leaving that message board several years back I've been trying to rid myself of such a habit. After leaving there I realized dong such a thing was not the least bit Christ like, doing this only provokes others, and it does not provoke them in a good way.

Recently I came across this, and it brought my thoughts to my having posted snide remarks to others, and recall how smart I felt having put them in their proper place with much a remark.

The Power of Words

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. Psalm 19:14

A careless word may kindle strife,
A cruel word may wreck a life;
A bitter word man hate instill.,
A brutal word may smite and kill;
A gracious word may smooth the way;
A joyous word may light the day;
A timely word may lessen the stress,
A loving word may heal and bless.

One thing we can do, we can express our self, our belief, without making any type of sarcastic remarks towards our brother's and sister's in Christ while provoking them to wrath. I would think, that many of you, like me, in our life away from the computer that we do not get so sarcastic with our friends nor our fellow Church members.

Which brings me to another thought. Those we hang out with, even on a Christian type message board can have so much influence on us. I let people on a Christian message board influence me in a bad way, following their example, and provoking people in a bad way many times. Even worse than that I recall cheering on others when they did this towards someone I disagreed with. I've even done that here, and seen other posters here do the same thing.

I'm trying hard to leave doing this in the past, yet sometimes the old self creeps in. I think we all who post on this message board can help each other by leaving all such witty remarks off. As I previous said, I feel we can leave them off yet hold to our beliefs, without compromising God's Word. And I feel that not one of us can give a good excuse for doing such a thing.

Finally, anyone I've made such a remark to, I apologize to you. I want you to know I'm trying hard to bury the way I learned to post on message boards, that I'm not trying to provoke no one to wrath, I'm not trying to get even with one one. I'm just trying to post truths, with hopes it may help some. I hope we all can remember, "The Power of Words," "The Power of Words" can be used in a good way, yet they can be used in a bad way. My prayer is that all of us will strive to use "The Power of Words" in a very good Christ like way.

• Members

Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be. James 3:9-10

I was thinking of this recently when listening to professing Christians talking among themselves and with some unsaved folks.

While curse words were once commonly believed to be unchristlike language, it became acceptable among many to use substitute curse words. Is it any more righteous to use a substitute curse word when everyone knows the word you are meaning? Not only do professing Christians use substitute curse words for "tame" curse words anymore, but even for the most vile and vulgar ones. How is this honouring Christ with our speech? In fact, it seems among a growing number of professing Christians that it's becoming acceptable to actually outright use some of the "tame" curse words.

All I can think is, "these things ought not so to be"!

• Administrators

Very good, Jerry8! And so true. One of the prOBlems with a forum is that (as has been noted in the past) many times a comment is made that is not intended to be biting, but since the face cannot be seen and the tone of voice heard, it comes off as sarcastice or snarky. That can cause offense that was never meant.

And then there are times when offense is intended....

Col. 4:6

Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
Salt is a preservative ~ our words are to be seasoned with that which helps others, not hurts them.

Good thoughts, Jerry8. Thanks for the reminder.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I missed this post when it came out, but I sure am Glad that the Lord directed me to it now! Thanks Jerry, I needed that. I use sarcasm to make a point for too many times. I too ask the Lord to forgive me, and help me to do better, and that anyone on this board would also forgive me for offenses whether deliberate or not. I am afraid that many were deliberate. I WILL do better with the Lord's help, and ask that you all help me by doing the same with me. yes, many times my sarcasm is retaliation for an offense that I received, and it all is a matter of pride.

This post came to me at the right time, maybe that's why I didn't see it before! :smilie_loco:4