• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Green Police--literally

• Members

This is absolutely crazy, I can't believe that it isn't just some mere suggestion by a liberal group, but is actually already taking place.....one of the cities is within my own state, no less! http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/09/07/trash-police-invade-thanks-government-stimulus/

• Members

Remember, liberals believe they can create a perfect world if everyone will just do as they say. They believe forcing folks to follow them is in everyones best interest and therefor the ends justify the means.

I realize what their goal is, but what about PRIVACY? I can't believe they are getting away with not only the ability to monitor your trash, recycling habits etc, but they can go through it bit by bit and then fine you as well..........for a service that YOU still have to pay for each month, no less. Then there's that little matter of stimulus money--that's your money, too. We already pay according to how much trash we produce--and it is not cheap as it is! What kind of increase will communities see with this type of regulation??

• Administrators

I realize what their goal is, but what about PRIVACY? I can't believe they are getting away with not only the ability to monitor your trash, recycling habits etc, but they can go through it bit by bit and then fine you as well..........for a service that YOU still have to pay for each month, no less. Then there's that little matter of stimulus money--that's your money, too. We already pay according to how much trash we produce--and it is not cheap as it is! What kind of increase will communities see with this type of regulation??

It's called involuntary servitude...yet another way to make Americans believe that government has the right of control.

• Members

Remember, liberals believe they can create a perfect world if everyone will just do as they say. They believe forcing folks to follow them is in everyones best interest and therefor the ends justify the means.

You know, you could substitute conservatives and also have a correct sentence. Different issues, but the same thing.

I agree that this is a bit much. In NYC we are required to recycle and we can be fined if we don't, but I've never heard of anything quite this extreme. I think recycling is good and everyone should recycle - honestly why wouldn't you - but there is also privacy. I think the best way to go about this is to tout the benefits of recycling, make recycling easier (more collection sites, etc), and maybe even incentives for those who do. In order for us to have a long-term culture of caring about the environment we have to make people want to recycle not do it because of the potential penalties.

• Members

Such as?

I know of no conservatives (the few who are left) that believe they can create a perfect world.

We've had discussions like this on other threads, but any of the moral issues that conservatives try to legislate (ie gay marriage). I would classify that as "they believe forcing folks to follow them is in everyone's best interest and therefore the ends justify the means."

• Members

We've had discussions like this on other threads, but any of the moral issues that conservatives try to legislate (ie gay marriage). I would classify that as "they believe forcing folks to follow them is in everyone's best interest and therefore the ends justify the means."

I don't recall having any discussions about conservatives.

What isn't a moral issue? Murder and rape are moral issues.

Homosexuality is a biblical issue that any Christian should be quick to stand upon what Scripture says.

Marriage, for about 6,000 years has always been heterosexual. It's homosexuals who are now trying to force change upon others so their sinful abomination can be openly accepted under cover of law.

• Members

I don't recall having any discussions about conservatives.

What isn't a moral issue? Murder and rape are moral issues.

Homosexuality is a biblical issue that any Christian should be quick to stand upon what Scripture says.

Marriage, for about 6,000 years has always been heterosexual. It's homosexuals who are now trying to force change upon others so their sinful abomination can be openly accepted under cover of law.

We've had discussions about legislating morality and the government's role in that.

Regardless, this thread is about mandated recycling and the government's infringement on privacy. On that issue I stand by what I originally said.

• Members

We've had discussions about legislating morality and the government's role in that.

Regardless, this thread is about mandated recycling and the government's infringement on privacy. On that issue I stand by what I originally said.

Yes, you asserted that conservatives think they can create a perfect world by force just like liberals do.

Murder and rape are as much moral issues as is homosexuality and garbage privacy.

• Members

It dawned on me yesterday how they are going to get away with this type of legislation. In a big city we used to live in, the garbage collection was indeed done by the city gov't. Not a big deal, no regulation except that you separate yard waste from regular refuse, but because of it, IF they chose to regulate matters in the way the article stated, it would be easy for them. What they could say is that "Once your trash goes into the city provided canister and you put it to the road at pick-up time, it is basically being 'sold' and no longer belongs to you, and therefore you have no right to claim 'privacy'." I'm glad I now live in the "sticks"......we can still burn our garbage if we want to.