• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

'Move beyond fear': Planned Quran burning is religious stupidity

CPR

• Members

'Move beyond fear': Planned Quran burning is religious stupidity
By Leo Frade, September 08, 2010

[Episcopal News Service] How can anyone think that an act of hate and religious fanaticism -- the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001 -- can somehow be redeemed by an act of intolerance and religious stupidity?
I have been trying to decide whether Pastor Terry Jones of the Dove Center in Gainesville, who is planning to burn copies of the Quran on Sept. 11, has any idea of how much harm and persecution his action will bring upon Christians living around the world -- and specifically those living in countries with a majority Muslim population. I have traveled extensively in the Middle East, and I am quite familiar with the precarious situation of Christians in that area.

I can only appeal to him to desist from an action that will hurt his Christian brothers and sisters around the world; they are the ones who will suffer the consequences of his fanatical act.

As an American, I also appeal to his patriotism and concern for our U.S. troops. General David Petraeus, our commander in Afghanistan, has warned that this planned act of disrespect and destruction of the Muslim scriptures will both endanger our troops already in perilous situations and harm our relationship with those Muslim countries that are our sincere allies.

Every page of the Quran that burns will recruit to the ranks of Islamic extremists hundreds of irate Muslims, who will see in this action a confirmation of claims by Al Qaeda and the Taliban that Americans are engaged in our own jihad against the followers of Islam.

What would Jesus do? I am quite sure that burning the holy scriptures of another faith would never be his choice. Our Lord said from the cross where he died, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they are doing."

I would remind Pastor Jones that our Lord forgives what we find it impossible to forgive and challenges us to move beyond fear, suspicion and hatred to "love one another."

I want to assure the followers of Islam here and around the world that the planned actions of the Dove Center do not represent the true values and beliefs of the followers of Jesus Christ, who tells us that the greatest commandment is love.

-- The Rt. Rev. Leo Frade is bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Southeast Florida.

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_124380_ENG_HTM.htm

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Seems like nearly all the worldly people are coming to the aid of Islam, plus some who profess Jesus as their Savior, where are they hid when Islam's are persecuting Christians? Why do they only cry aloud where the whole world can hear them only when a book is fixing to be burned that speaks of a false god that the living God, the Father of Jesus Christ, the one and only true God, has warned us about?

Now, it they were crying aloud so that the whole world could hear them every time a Islam persecutes a Christian it would give them credibility, but only taking up for the Islam's because some one is burning a book that teaches about a false god gives them not the least bit of credibility.

PS. Islam's are persecuting Christians daily in Islam ruled countries. No, I would not do such thing.

• Members

What makes you think that non-fundamentalist Christians don't care when Christians are being persecuted? Most of us want mutual respect among all religions and abhor persecution in all its forms.

By the way, they're called Muslims not "Islam's".

• Members

Why should anyone listen to a bishop in the unbiblical Episcopal church? If this man were concerned with the things of Christ he would have long ago separated himself from the Episcopal church.

Where in Scripture are Christians commanded to tolerate false religions?

Does anyone recall that Paul so strongly confronted false religions that their followers were continually trying to kill him?

The prOBlem isn't with the burning of a wicked book of the devil, it's with the media turning this into an international news event and one might argue the pastor has ill handled the spotlight (I can't say for sure because I've heard comments from him that Christian radio news has played which I've not heard on the mainstream media so I don't know how much they are censoring him).

In any event, if this bishop of a wayward church were concerned with following Scripture he would first heed the Words of Christ and remove that beam from his own eye before launching out against the Florida pastor. Christ clear called such hypocricy.

• Members

Why should anyone listen to a bishop in the unbiblical Episcopal church? If this man were concerned with the things of Christ he would have long ago separated himself from the Episcopal church.

Where in Scripture are Christians commanded to tolerate false religions?

Does anyone recall that Paul so strongly confronted false religions that their followers were continually trying to kill him?

The prOBlem isn't with the burning of a wicked book of the devil, it's with the media turning this into an international news event and one might argue the pastor has ill handled the spotlight (I can't say for sure because I've heard comments from him that Christian radio news has played which I've not heard on the mainstream media so I don't know how much they are censoring him).

In any event, if this bishop of a wayward church were concerned with following Scripture he would first heed the Words of Christ and remove that beam from his own eye before launching out against the Florida pastor. Christ clear called such hypocricy.

That's your misguided opinion.

We all have faults and none of us are perfect. However, the posted article is filled with more reason and Christ-like attitude than I hear from the majority of people here who are quick to condemn anything they don't understand or disagree with. The bishop hasn't "launched out against" anyone, he's simply stated the facts.

By the same token, maybe the FL "pastor" should take the beam of ignorance and hatred out of his eye before continuing with this ill-conceived publicity stunt.

• Members

FWIW, CPR, I agree with you wholeheartedly on this one. There is no biblical precedent for this action, which is foolish on so many fronts. Wait, there is precedent! Something about taking a dog by the ears...in Proverbs.

Thanks, Annie.

BTW, I really liked your point on the tough call thread!

• Members

That's your misguided opinion.

We all have faults and none of us are perfect. However, the posted article is filled with more reason and Christ-like attitude than I hear from the majority of people here who are quick to condemn anything they don't understand or disagree with. The bishop hasn't "launched out against" anyone, he's simply stated the facts.

By the same token, maybe the FL "pastor" should take the beam of ignorance and hatred out of his eye before continuing with this ill-conceived publicity stunt.

No, that's not my opinion at all, that's Scripture. Why you continually think Episcopals don't have to abide by Scripture I don't know. Scripture is very clear with regards to what is sin, what we are to separate from what we are not to be yoked with, about coming out from among them, etc.

• Members

Way to many are taking the side of evil on this one, in doing so, they're supporting Islam.

One thing is for sure, if those in high places would keep their mouth shut about the issue, it just might not stay in the spotlight. Yet keeping their mouth shut they would not win points in public opinion, and that is exactly what those in high places are trying to do, win points in public opinion, and they do not care if points gained in public opinion cost, for they can easily blame it on someone else, just as they are doing.

Plus, those who walk close to the Lord Jesus, that stand up for all His ways, will never have gain many points in public opinion, they will be treated as Jesus was.

Yes, John is right, yet its both media, and politicians.

• Administrators

I'm certainly not siding with Islam when I say I think Pastor Jones is wrong to burn korans so publicly...

I agree with Annie that this is like taking a dog by the ears! If our government would do what it should do, things like this wouldn't be an issue.

• Members

Thankfully he has backed down and said it isn't happening. I just read this article on foxnews.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/09/10/pastor-imam-odds-koran-burning-deal/?test=latestnews

I wonder who is telling the truth in the whole matter. One thing I found rather disturbing was this bit of information in the article:

At least two dozen Christian churches, Jewish temples and Muslim organizations in the city had mOBilized to plan inclusive events, including Koran readings at services, as a counterpoint to Jones' protest.

Uhhhh...I guess it goes with the video bromatt posted on the progressive church.

• Members

Thankfully he has backed down and said it isn't happening. I just read this article on foxnews.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/09/10/pastor-imam-odds-koran-burning-deal/?test=latestnews

I wonder who is telling the truth in the whole matter. One thing I found rather disturbing was this bit of information in the article:

Uhhhh...I guess it goes with the video bromatt posted on the progressive church.

This touches on something I said earlier. If nothing else, this episode may at least serve to point out where some folks hearts really are.

The Christian churches and Jewish temples which are joining with the Muslims should be called to task for such wicked behavior.

Unfortunately there are many professing Christians and their churches which would rather be politically correct than biblically correct.

• Members

Think about it, how it looks in the eyes of the world. All of those who are now standing with the Muslins, they see it as supporting Islam.

But even more than that, hardly anyone takes the stand against Islam for the continued persecuting and murder of Christians in foreign lands controlled by Muslims, and it takes place every single day.

Of course the politician, those in Washington, only stands and supports that which wins them political points.

• Members

Think about it, how it looks in the eyes of the world. All of those who are now standing with the Muslins, they see it as supporting Islam.

But even more than that, hardly anyone takes the stand against Islam for the continued persecuting and murder of Christians in foreign lands controlled by Muslims, and it takes place every single day.

Of course the politician, those in Washington, only stands and supports that which wins them political points.

That's right Jerry. To Muslims this is an all around win. They know what they are doing to Christians, to Bibles, to Christian literature, to Christian pastors, churches and missionaries. They are doing all they can to destroy them; which includes burning Bibles and Christian literature, raping women who convert to Christianity, beating and murdering those who convert or attempt to bring Christ to Muslims, driving out or banning Christian churches and thier pastors...

...and as you say, this occurs daily around the world and Muslims see no one is willing to call them on it and no one is willing to stand against them, but those they view as their enemies they see are willing to stand up for their "holy book". This sends a very powerful message to Muslims around the world.

Muslims view the West and Christianity as in decline and fully believe they will control and Islamify Europe, America and all the West before this century is out.

• Members

Many of those standing with the Muslims are some of the very ones who are trying to kick God out of our country.

Its amazing, now many professing Christians are siding with them.

2Co 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?