• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Some advice

• Members

Ok, let me start this off by saying that I was divorced and have since remarried. That is NOT what this discussion is about, so please keep those comments to yourself. Anyway, my ex-wife and I have 2 kids together (11 and 9). My wife and I have 3 kids together (5, 3 and 2). We are members of a local IFB church and absolutely love it. However, let me give you the backstory to all this. My ex and I graduated from Bible college and served on staff of a church where we felt God had called us into missions. Therefore, we have the same biblical foundation and beliefs. Now, to the present. My ex has since remarried and he DEMANDS they attend a Presbyterian church. He has become a religious dictator in their house. Our 2 oldest kids want to go to our church and serve God. However, we have shared parenting and they attend both churches. They have told my ex and her husband that they do not like their church and don't feel they are growing spiritually. He went off on them and told them that it was not about them and that they will go to that church and like it. My wife and I are raising them under the Baptist doctrine and KJV. However, he has them watching videos about how the KJV is not the true Bible and is making them write a paper on why the KJV isn't correct. They still tell him that the KJV is the most accurate translation and therefore the correct Bible. This, again, only sets him off. They are stuck in the middle of this and it's a no win situation for them. My wife and I plan on filing for full custody and the kids have told us, as well many others, that this is what they want to, but that's another story. Anyway, I said all that to ask this question, what resources are out there geared for younger kids to stand up against false translations? I can show them where things are omitted and changed and I think they get some of that, but I didn't know if there was something out there aimed at that age group. Thanks. If this doesn't make sense, I apologize. It's 03:45 and I'm at work and haven't slept in about 40 hours. My brain is turning to goo.

Edited by asysin2leads

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

This sounds like a power play on the new husband's part. I would suggest that the children not fight him on it, do as he says, believe what they have been taught and know is right. When he sees no resistance there will be no need to continue the fight and he will find something else. As long as the children continue to get fed when they are with you. God is able to protect them in this situation. Just my $.02 worth

• Members

What a tough situation. The enemy will attack us and our families through our families as often as possible.

I would suggest much continual prayer for your children, for wisdom, discernment and understanding. Prayer with fasting would certainly be appropriate in this as well.

When your children are with you be consistent in teaching them truth but do so for the glory of God and their benefit and do so in a manner that doesn't seem like a "your way vs. his way" sort of thing.

It would seem this guy either isn't a follower of Christ or he's very carnal. Either way, much prayer for him to get right with God and for the enemy to be prevented from using him to harm your children in any way would be a good idea.

Praying for you, your children and this situation right now :icon_pray:

• Administrators

What a hard situation for your kids to be in! Divorce always hurts everyone involved and remarriage can cause prOBlems for kids that adults don't even realize (I know this from experience as a child from a broken marriage).

The sticky wicket in this situation is that there are two homes, led by two different men. You are the head of your home, and your children's step-dad is the head of his. While they are in his home, they are to OBey him - and honor him as well. I know that's hard to think, but he is married to their mother and thus they owe him honor as they do you.

While your children are at their mother's house, they have no choice but to attend the church their step-dad has chosen. I believe it would be in their best interests for you and your wife to teach them that they need to OBey and be less vocal. They are, after all, only 9 and 11. I think it's great that they want to stick with the KJB (no matter what weber says about it...I honestly don't know why he bothers being on a KJB board!). But, as has been mentioned, their disagreement with their step-dad is very likely making things worse.

I don't particularly think that the step-dad is manifesting a control freak attitude. But he is most likely trying to assert his authority in the face of trying to lead his home (whether any of us agree with how he chooses to do so). Your children need stability and while this continues, there won't be any. Teach them the KJB while at your home, but let them know that they need to drop the subject with their step=dad.

I don't know of any resources that help kids that age stand up against false translations, but encourage them to continue to memorize the KJB. Plan a memorization schedule and work with them on it while at your home. Encourage them to just do what their step-dad says about writing the paper - without comment or argument about the right or wrong of it.

Respect for authority is vital for children, and yours need to understand that, though you disagree much with their step-dad, you stand behind him AND their mother as authorities in their lives. That is a major prOBlem with divorce and remarriage: the authority has been split. As the father, it would be wise to encourage their OBedience in order to help them realize the need for OBedience to authority.

I realize that there may be some that disagree with what I've written, but it is Biblical: your children do not have the Biblical mandate to harden their necks against their step-dad...it will only result in hardening their necks against authority in general, even though it's right now about church attendance and the Bible.

I'm so sorry for the heartache that is taking place.

• Administrators
Do you speak King James English around your house? PrOBably not.

I love that line. It show the intelligence level of the person stating the question.
Do you speak like the NIV English? How about NAS English? What about NASV English?
Modern versions have hundreds of archaic words that people do not speak anymore. So do you speak NIV English around your house? Truth is nOBody speaks like any of the modern versions.

I'm done hijacking this thread. Back on topic.

asysin2leads, I'm praying for you.

• Members

One thing for sure, if you fight for custody because they're going to a different church you will get no where. There is no easy answer for this situation, no matter what you do the children suffer.

And its true, the children get caught in the middle and suffer the worse when divorce is in the picture.

Hope and pray all works out well.

• Members

Ok, I've had a little bit of sleep and my brain is starting to un-goo. Let me clarify a couple of things. First, we are not seeking full custody solely based on church preference. There are several other, more determining, factors. Second, I don't have an issue with the kids speaking their mind, providing they do it respectfully and they do. When we all sat down to discuss this, the kids were calm and cool and laid out their concerns. Her new husband is the one who showed a lack of respect. I think the main reason that it really upsets us is the fact that this did not happen until the VERY day they got married. My ex-wife and us have always been understanding and accommodating to each other. When they got married, that all stopped.

Thanks for the prayers.

• Members

This may be none of my business but I assume the reason you divorced your ex was because one of you was unfaithful? I ask because that is the only grounds for divorce that the Lord permits. So then, if you two "Christians" divorced for any other reason, then I have to say that you're dead in the water as is and it really makes no difference whatsoever which of the English translations you prefer to brainwash your kids with.
/

Actually, you're right. It isn't any of your business and you're wrong. Christians get divorced all the time if they are out of the perfect will of God. Second, I am not trying to brain wash our kids. I am trying to teach them correctly. Why are you on a KJV forum if all you do is bad mouth it? If I have 15 people giving me their personal viewpoints on the same topic, how do I know which one to believe? Maybe you should give up reading 10 different perversions and stick with one Bible. If you don't choose the KJV, that is your personal decision, but maybe you should stop taking 10 different viewpoints at the same time. Just a thought.

• Members

I don't know about custody...we have a case in our church and because of the mom's beliefs the judge hasn't even listened to her side of the story (and she's in the right in every way, her ex is being a jerk along with his new wife) and she is really getting a bad end of the stick as the judge hates Christians (and isn't ashamed to admit that.) I assume that's a rising occurance.

And I'm sorry I'm not help about the KJV thing as far as on a kids' level, but your two older kids definitely sound old enough to understand what you are teaching them about it.

Its sad that kids get caught so often in custody fights (etc)....usually the fighting is so petty...its just adults getting back at each other at the expense of the kids (referring to your ex's new spouse).

• Members

Actually, you're right. It isn't any of your business and you're wrong. Christians get divorced all the time if they are out of the perfect will of God. Second, I am not trying to brain wash our kids. I am trying to teach them correctly. Why are you on a KJV forum if all you do is bad mouth it? If I have 15 people giving me their personal viewpoints on the same topic, how do I know which one to believe? Maybe you should give up reading 10 different perversions and stick with one Bible. If you don't choose the KJV, that is your personal decision, but maybe you should stop taking 10 different viewpoints at the same time. Just a thought.

Pay no attention to that guy as He has no true understanding of Scripture and teaches certain sins to be acceptable; and as you prOBably noticed, doesn't even believe we have the true Word of God to learn from.

• Administrators

Yea, don't mind him. He seems to make it his goal to bad mouth the KJV any chance he gets. The only way he could support his wacky doctrine is to use 10 different versions.

• Members

and you're wrong. Christians get divorced all the time if they are out of the perfect will of God.

The sole excuse that the Bible's Christ will accept for divorce is unfaithfulness.

†. Mtt 5:31-32 . . It hath been said: Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement. But I say unto you, that whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

According to the Bible's Christ; you've caused your ex to live in sin and your current spouse to live in sin; not to mention that you too are living in sin and also fathered three children in sin. In my estimation, your prOBlems with the various English translations are insignificant in comparison to that.

Actually, you're right. It isn't any of your business

May I share a story with you?

†. Mtt 14:3-11 . . Herod had laid hold on John, and bound him, and put him in prison for Herodias' sake, his brother Philip's wife. For John said unto him: It is not lawful for thee to have her. And when he would have put him to death, he feared the multitude, because they counted him as a prophet.

. . . But when Herod's birthday was kept, the daughter of Herodias danced before them, and pleased Herod. Whereupon he promised with an oath to give her whatsoever she would ask. And she, being before instructed of her mother, said, Give me here John Baptist's head in a charger.

. . . And the king was sorry: nevertheless for the oath's sake, and them which sat with him at meat, he commanded it to be given her. And he sent, and beheaded John in the prison. And his head was brought in a charger, and given to the damsel: and she brought it to her mother.

Herod's unholy relationship with Herodias cost the life of an innocent man. And just look at the quandary your own kids are in now because of YOUR unholy relationships. They're just kids; but YOU are a Christian adult, educated in a Christian Bible college. Shame on you!

C.L.I.F.F.
/ Edited by Webers_Home

• Members

The sole excuse that the Bible's Christ will accept for divorce is unfaithfulness.

†. Mtt 5:31-32 . . It hath been said: Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement. But I say unto you, that whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

According to the Bible's Christ; you've caused your ex to live in sin and your current spouse to live in sin; not to mention that you too are living in sin and also fathered three children in sin. In my estimation, your prOBlems with the various English translations are insignificant in comparison to that.

May I share a story with you?

†. Mtt 14:3-11 . . Herod had laid hold on John, and bound him, and put him in prison for Herodias' sake, his brother Philip's wife. For John said unto him: It is not lawful for thee to have her. And when he would have put him to death, he feared the multitude, because they counted him as a prophet.

. . . But when Herod's birthday was kept, the daughter of Herodias danced before them, and pleased Herod. Whereupon he promised with an oath to give her whatsoever she would ask. And she, being before instructed of her mother, said, Give me here John Baptist's head in a charger.

. . . And the king was sorry: nevertheless for the oath's sake, and them which sat with him at meat, he commanded it to be given her. And he sent, and beheaded John in the prison. And his head was brought in a charger, and given to the damsel: and she brought it to her mother.

Herod's indiscretion cost the life of an innocent man. And just look at the quandary your own kids are in now because of YOUR indiscretion. They're just kids; but YOU are a Christian adult, educated in a Christian Bible college. Shame on you!

C.L.I.F.F.
/

The Bible's Christ also says that feeding the lust of the eyes and the lust of the flesh is a sin. Undressing another mans wife with your eyes and having erotic fantasies is, according to the Bible's Christ, a sin, it's unfaithful adultery of the heart.

If such is not repented of then one is walking out of fellowship with the Bible's Christ. They should remove the beam from their own eye before trying to pick at specks in another.