• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Biblical Giving

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I've know many through the years that claim they can hardly give any, that after they pay their bills, that they have barely enough left over to buy food. They seem to say I'm going to get caught up one of these days, but it seems something else always comes along that they think they've just got to have, so they charge it creating another bill to pay each month, thus it seem they will never get out of the hole. They just keep digging deeper.

Seems those wants keeps getting in the way of giving to God for many.

Just for the record.

2Co 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

I just don't believe the person who tithes can be a cheerful giver.

That's an interesting approach and I can definitely see the thinking. I can say without thinking twice I'm very happy and cheerful to give my 10% and faith promise and any other love offerings I feel God lays on my heart.

The reason I feel this way is because God has put me through many financial trials and recently I had my most grueling of trials yet. I was not getting paid from Feb to May...no income at all and with a family of 5 it's no small task to keep them fed. But, this is prOBably the first time where I knew God would take care of us and I put my complete faith in Him...we were taken care of. I cheerfully gave my 10% of normal pay during that period anyway. Sure, it came out of savings but I figured it was only right to do that and have faith then try to hoard my money.

Anyway, like I said, came out of it unscathed and strengthened. In mid-May my pay started back up and the security deposit from my previous apartment came in. We were truly blessed with a trial that strengthened us and we got our money back in the end.

• Members

That's an interesting approach and I can definitely see the thinking. I can say without thinking twice I'm very happy and cheerful to give my 10% and faith promise and any other love offerings I feel God lays on my heart.

The reason I feel this way is because God has put me through many financial trials and recently I had my most grueling of trials yet. I was not getting paid from Feb to May...no income at all and with a family of 5 it's no small task to keep them fed. But, this is prOBably the first time where I knew God would take care of us and I put my complete faith in Him...we were taken care of. I cheerfully gave my 10% of normal pay during that period anyway. Sure, it came out of savings but I figured it was only right to do that and have faith then try to hoard my money.

Anyway, like I said, came out of it unscathed and strengthened. In mid-May my pay started back up and the security deposit from my previous apartment came in. We were truly blessed with a trial that strengthened us and we got our money back in the end.

Praise God! :thumb:

• Members

I try to give 10% of what I make. So, in the summer when I did not make any money I did not give a regular tythe, but did give offerings at various times.
At a church I went to in college they had a credit card machine in the lOBby for giving. You could go to it and swipe you card, type in how much to give and it would go on your card. It made sense, with a lot of people using direct deposit and debit/credit cards for most things.

• Administrators

Interesting timing for this thread, John. August is our church's stewardship month. We enjoy a good number of messages on giving, and then it culminates in a banquet at which we turn in our giving plans for the year. But...

The messages that are preached are not messages that prod or browbeat. They are simply messages from the Bible on giving. It's amazing how much scripture actually talks about giving! Through it all, our pastor constantly reminds us that we need to pray about what God would have us give - not for pride's sake.

Our baseline is 10%. That is an automatic. I know that some people don't believe tithing is scriptural. But we do. And so that is where we begin our giving. Each year, as we consider what God would have us give over and above our tithe, we pray. We want to give what God places on our hearts. Nothing more, nothing less. Why not more? Because God will lay on the heart that which He wants us to give, and giving above it tends to pride. There are times when we take an other's offering and the Lord prompts me what He wants me to give(interestingly, it's usually on payday... :icon_mrgreen: ). Why not less? Because God wants OBedience.

I have to disagree with the idea that someone who tithes is not a cheerful giver. My hubby is. And the greater majority of the members of our church are. I do think there are people who tithe and grit their teeth, resenting "having" to tithe. But those same people wouldn't be cheerful about giving anything!!

As to when we give: it is the first consideration. All bills come secondary to our giving. After all, God is the one who has provided the income, placed on our hearts what we are to give ~ and we can trust Him to take care of things (as long as we are doing right!).
~~~~~
Each year we have a preaching conference. Many people come from all over. Before it starts, our preacher always asks us to give early so he doesn't have to mention it. And when offerings are taken during the conference, he always tells visitors that they aren't expected to give - and he usually comments on how they've spent money to get there...

• Members

Interesting timing for this thread, John. August is our church's stewardship month. We enjoy a good number of messages on giving, and then it culminates in a banquet at which we turn in our giving plans for the year. But...

The messages that are preached are not messages that prod or browbeat. They are simply messages from the Bible on giving. It's amazing how much scripture actually talks about giving! Through it all, our pastor constantly reminds us that we need to pray about what God would have us give - not for pride's sake.

Our baseline is 10%. That is an automatic. I know that some people don't believe tithing is scriptural. But we do. And so that is where we begin our giving. Each year, as we consider what God would have us give over and above our tithe, we pray. We want to give what God places on our hearts. Nothing more, nothing less. Why not more? Because God will lay on the heart that which He wants us to give, and giving above it tends to pride. There are times when we take an other's offering and the Lord prompts me what He wants me to give(interestingly, it's usually on payday... :icon_mrgreen: ). Why not less? Because God wants OBedience.

I have to disagree with the idea that someone who tithes is not a cheerful giver. My hubby is. And the greater majority of the members of our church are. I do think there are people who tithe and grit their teeth, resenting "having" to tithe. But those same people wouldn't be cheerful about giving anything!!

As to when we give: it is the first consideration. All bills come secondary to our giving. After all, God is the one who has provided the income, placed on our hearts what we are to give ~ and we can trust Him to take care of things (as long as we are doing right!).
~~~~~
Each year we have a preaching conference. Many people come from all over. Before it starts, our preacher always asks us to give early so he doesn't have to mention it. And when offerings are taken during the conference, he always tells visitors that they aren't expected to give - and he usually comments on how they've spent money to get there...

What do you mean by "turn in your giving plans for the year"?

I absolutely agree with you regarding giving no less and no more than God leads. Following the first part, giving no less than the Lord tells me, has been the easy part. I had to learn to pay attention to God and not give more. God knows how much He wants us to give, to whom and when.

We also follow the idea of giving to God first. When the check is cashed the money which goes in the plate is set aside for that purpose before anything else is considered and dealt with. I've noticed there have been times when the Lord would lead me to set aside two or three weeks worth of offerings out of one check. When this has happened, each time this has happened, something unexpected comes up which either makes the next check or two much smaller or an unexpected expense comes up that we couldn't have covered had we took our offering for that week out of that check. God always provides the means for us to give according to His will if we simply listen to Him.

• Administrators

What do you mean by "turn in your giving plans for the year"? It's kind of along the same principle as mission promise giving. After we spend time in prayer (the whole month of August) about how God would have us give for the next year, we fill out a card showing our increase (or leave it blank if there is none). That way the budget can be planned better. It's pretty exciting, because there have been years we've been able to give more to missions.

I absolutely agree with you regarding giving no less and no more than God leads. Following the first part, giving no less than the Lord tells me, has been the easy part. I had to learn to pay attention to God and not give more. God knows how much He wants us to give, to whom and when. So did we - I remember a time when we cut our giving because my hubby was convicted of giving out of a matter of pride...

We also follow the idea of giving to God first. When the check is cashed the money which goes in the plate is set aside for that purpose before anything else is considered and dealt with. I've noticed there have been times when the Lord would lead me to set aside two or three weeks worth of offerings out of one check. When this has happened, each time this has happened, something unexpected comes up which either makes the next check or two much smaller or an unexpected expense comes up that we couldn't have covered had we took our offering for that week out of that check. God always provides the means for us to give according to His will if we simply listen to Him.AMEN!

• Members
He keeps a small box in the back of the church and if you want give than you drop it in there.

This appears to be somewhat common in the upper Plains states. Several Baptist churches I've visited have done it this way.

• Members

2Co 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

I just don't believe the person who tithes can be a cheerful giver.

I agree. I may seem a little un- pastors, but not really, I respect real elders.

I want to add something though. A lot of times I have started to *try* to tithe, and I think everytime I did, God did the exact
opposite and *did not bless*. I love giving, but my recollection is, it wasn't blessed every time. Every time I did, God shortly
exposed some great apostasy in that church that would cause me to leave. It happened the times I mentioned before, now that I
think of it, it happened with a methodist church which ended up believing some apostasy regarding modern tongues speaking, and now
I look back on it, also a Korean missionary from my freshmen days who ended up being on the news for not beleiving the OT God was the
same as the new, etc etc. Its been a pretty consistent pattern - they convince me their nice (I suppose it worked that way), I
like to give, decide to give a tithe, and God reveals them. I think God is a jealeous God.

Converesly, I can remember a lot of times that God has blessed my giving, and it didn't even have anything to do with the church. I'd
give something to someone, and they'd tell me it got them their first jOB years later, helped them get a computer jOB etc etc. Just normal
love giving and a lot more blessing happening than I expected. Thats happened a lot. I prefer that type of giving. I think it may
be what the bible means by helps. Praise God. Edited by MaxKennedy

• Members

First let me say that giving is a personal thing, especially the giving of alms (to the poor). Matthew 6 says that we should do it secretly, and God will bless us openly. There is an attitude involved in giving, and that will make a huge difference. One poster "tried" giving, and waited for the Lord to bless it--was He trying giving, or trying God? (Not wishing to criticize anyone, I use this for an example, each man must live with his own attitude toward giving and toward God.)

I believe in the tithe as a base-rate, but I realize that the Lord does not need our money, no, not at all--He wants us to give for us, and for others. Not everyone falls under the umbrella of God's blessing in tat area, and we can be a blessing to them in his name.

Secondly, let me say (again, not out of criticism) that no one has considered that the church exists on our giving. What about the preacher? He may not make much either, although many of them do, he too has to tithe or give; he is not exempt because he is a preacher, but it may not be any easier for him than it is for us. He too has bills; he too has a family to support; where is he going to get extra money (overtime pay?) for the "extra's" that he wants to give his children and wife? The real question, I suppose, is do we believe God? Luke 6:38 promise an abundance of blessings for those who give, we MUST believe that or throw out all scripture altogether. Let me add that some principles transcend the borders that we set for them; God deals with "His people" and too often we separate the O.T. from the New, often to justify our opinions and attitudes. I realize that we are not compelled to tithe under the law, but why do we resist it? Not because of "law" but because of worry! We worry that there will not be enough at the end of the month to meet our own needs, and forget about the needs of others.

I posted sometime back a few principles for giving, and I was surprised that it got little response. None of those principles included "forced" giving, but giving to a need. God does not need our money, but the church does! Here is where we make the distinction. The Temple building needed materials-not paid workers, but it took many materials to re-build the walls and the temple. it took money, not crops; not good intentions; not the "waiting on God" type of attitude that usually does not seem to come. Why analyze our giving--just give, and let the Lord worry about your needs. he has already promised to do so. (Now, someone will criticize this and say "Do you give your house payment to God?" or something silly like that; don't try too hard to support your theories lest you deny the scriptures and the promises of our Lord.)

BTW, I do not try to "make" anyone tithe, that is up to them. The Lord does not "make" us do it either, but I am sure that it pleases Him when we do.

Happy giving.

Edited by irishman

• Members

First let me say that giving is a personal thing, especially the giving of alms (to the poor). Matthew 6 says that we should do it secretly, and God will bless us openly. There is an attitude involved in giving, and that will make a huge difference. One poster "tried" giving, and waited for the Lord to bless it--was He trying giving, or trying God? (Not wishing to criticize anyone, I use this for an example, each man must live with his own attitude toward giving and toward God.)

I believe in the tithe as a base-rate, but I realize that the Lord does not need our money, no, not at all--He wants us to give for us, and for others. Not everyone falls under the umbrella of God's blessing in tat area, and we can be a blessing to them in his name.

Secondly, let me say (again, not out of criticism) that no one has considered that the church exists on our giving. What about the preacher? He may not make much either, although many of them do, he too has to tithe or give; he is not exempt because he is a preacher, but it may not be any easier for him than it is for us. He too has bills; he too has a family to support; where is he going to get extra money (overtime pay?) for the "extra's" that he wants to give his children and wife? The real question, I suppose, is do we believe God? Luke 6:38 promise an abundance of blessings for those who give, we MUST believe that or throw out all scripture altogether. Let me add that some principles transcend the borders that we set for them; God deals with "His people" and too often we separate the O.T. from the New, often to justify our opinions and attitudes. I realize that we are not compelled to tithe under the law, but why do we resist it? Not because of "law" but because of worry! We worry that there will not be enough at the end of the month to meet our own needs, and forget about the needs of others.

I posted sometime back a few principles for giving, and I was surprised that it got little response. None of those principles included "forced" giving, but giving to a need. God does not need our money, but the church does! Here is where we make the distinction. The Temple building needed materials-not paid workers, but it took many materials to re-build the walls and the temple. it took money, not crops; not good intentions; not the "waiting on God" type of attitude that usually does not seem to come. Why analyze our giving--just give, and let the Lord worry about your needs. he has already promised to do so. (Now, someone will criticize this and say "Do you give your house payment to God?" or something silly like that; don't try too hard to support your theories lest you deny the scriptures and the promises of our Lord.)

BTW, I do not try to "make" anyone tithe, that is up to them. The Lord does not "make" us do it either, but I am sure that it pleases Him when we do.

Happy giving.
Luke 6:38 certainly didn't work for the woman who 'tithed' for more than 5 decades that broke her back while attempting to go to Church in the winter to 'tithe'.

• Members

We can't base our giving decisions upon anecdotal evidence. There are many people who tithe that appear blessed just as there are many people who give according to New Testament teaching who appear blessed. At the other end are the many who tithe which show no appearance of being blessed and those who give according to the New Testament teaching who show no signs of being blessed. In between both are all those who give in both manners and don't appear to be much blessed but don't appear to be much without blessing either.

The tithe was an OT command for Jews which was used to help support the large preisthood and the temple by bringing in crops and livestock.

In the NT we don't have to feed a large preisthood nor do we have to support a sacrificial system at a temple. We are told in the NT to give as God lays it upon our hearts to give. A true follower of Christ will give abundantly out of whatever their abundance may be whether they make 15 thousand or 2 million a year here in America or they make merely 300 dollars a year in some third world country.

Followers of Christ are also called upon not only to support their pastor and local church, but also their fellow brothers and sisters in Christ, as well as giving to help the poor and needy.

The fact we have so many Christians in America living at the povertly level or who are among the "working poor" while we also have so many Christians in America with wealth beyond imagination, is a very sad testimony against us.

I'm by no means suggesting every Christian with some extra money should give it to poorer Chrisitans. Yet those Christians God has blessed exceedingly abundantly should desire to help lift their poorer brothers and sisters up a notch or two.

We are to be known for our love for one another yet can that be seen when the wealthy Christians go one way living excessively while the poorer Christians go another scraping to get by?

• Members

Luke 6:38 certainly didn't work for the woman who 'tithed' for more than 5 decades that broke her back while attempting to go to Church in the winter to 'tithe'.

She should have mailed it in! The same could have happened on her way to church, regardless of the tithe anyway!

It must have worked for five decades, or ahe prOBably would not have continued!

• Members

We can't base our giving decisions upon anecdotal evidence. There are many people who tithe that appear blessed just as there are many people who give according to New Testament teaching who appear blessed. At the other end are the many who tithe which show no appearance of being blessed and those who give according to the New Testament teaching who show no signs of being blessed. In between both are all those who give in both manners and don't appear to be much blessed but don't appear to be much without blessing either.

The tithe was an OT command for Jews which was used to help support the large preisthood and the temple by bringing in crops and livestock.

In the NT we don't have to feed a large preisthood nor do we have to support a sacrificial system at a temple. We are told in the NT to give as God lays it upon our hearts to give. A true follower of Christ will give abundantly out of whatever their abundance may be whether they make 15 thousand or 2 million a year here in America or they make merely 300 dollars a year in some third world country.

Followers of Christ are also called upon not only to support their pastor and local church, but also their fellow brothers and sisters in Christ, as well as giving to help the poor and needy.

The fact we have so many Christians in America living at the povertly level or who are among the "working poor" while we also have so many Christians in America with wealth beyond imagination, is a very sad testimony against us.

I'm by no means suggesting every Christian with some extra money should give it to poorer Chrisitans. Yet those Christians God has blessed exceedingly abundantly should desire to help lift their poorer brothers and sisters up a notch or two.

We are to be known for our love for one another yet can that be seen when the wealthy Christians go one way living excessively while the poorer Christians go another scraping to get by?

There ought not to be such a thing as a "poor Christian", otherwise Prov 3:9,10 is not true, as well as Psa. 1:1-3; Joshua 1:7,8 and 2 Chronicles 26:5, the last part, and many others. God wants his children to prosper in all ways as well as monetarily. It is our fault if we do not, not God's fault, and the greatest Christians we know can have prOBlems in that area. It doesn't really matter, I suppose, what you call it, but "tithe" was a well-known term in the New Testament age; every one knew what it meant. It preceded the law, by the way, and therefore, though incorporated into the law, was not a part of it per se. The principle was carried over into the New Testament by proxy and precedent. There were other things that "carried over" and we don't doubt them--parts of the Ten Commandments for example. is it still wrong to have a graven image today? What about bowing down to it? How about coveting that which is our neighbors, we don't hear much of that today, but it is still wrong, even though it was under the law! And where do we read in the New Testament not to take the Lord's name in vain? Anyway, though that changes the direction of the thread, the point is the same. Edited by irishman

• Members

She should have mailed it in! The same could have happened on her way to church, regardless of the tithe anyway!

It must have worked for five decades, or ahe prOBably would not have continued!
No, she continued because she was put under the fear of being under a curse if she didn't tithe. I know this woman personally. She struggled all her life to make ends meet.