• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Biblical Giving

• Members

This thread was prompted by much of what I've been hearing others say and by some things I've heard on Christian radio.

What determines your regular church giving (whatever you choose to call it; tithe, offering, giving, etc.)?

Do you determine your giving based upon Scripture or something else?

It seems for awhile now many Christians have been saying they just can't give or can't give as much as they'd like because of the economy. Many of these saying this have not had their jOBs or incomes effected by the economy.

Along these lines I've also heard it said that government taxes are going for causes the church is supposed to tend to so less needs to be given to the church.

As well with regard to taxes, some are saying if taxes go up under OBama they won't be able to give to the church because there won't be anything left over to give.

This thread isn't about how much we give, but about how we determine what we give and how we go about our giving. This thread also isn't about the tithe debate either even though ones view on that could effect how they determine what they give and how they go about their giving.

What say you?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

This thread was prompted by much of what I've been hearing others say and by some things I've heard on Christian radio.

What determines your regular church giving (whatever you choose to call it; tithe, offering, giving, etc.)?

It seems for awhile now many Christians have been saying they just can't give or can't give as much as they'd like because of the economy. Many of these saying this have not had their jOBs or incomes effected by the economy.

Along these lines I've also heard it said that government taxes are going for causes the church is supposed to tend to so less needs to be given to the church.

As well with regard to taxes, some are saying if taxes go up under OBama they won't be able to give to the church because there won't be anything left over to give.

This thread isn't about how much we give, but about how we determine what we give and how we go about our giving. This thread also isn't about the tithe debate either even though ones view on that could effect how they determine what they give and how they go about their giving.

What say you?

I give the same as what my health club membership costs.

• Members

The Biblical standard is still the same, "first fruits" are tithes, offerings, missions and giving are over and above tithes. We Christians need to get this right. Praise God for a church and Pastor who gently teach proper attitude toward that which God allows us to manage.

Is this then how you determine your giving? How do you go about giving in this manner?

• Members

Okay, how did you determine to give that amount and how do you go about giving it?

I figured that I spend that much on health I could at least give that amount to my Church. I use on-line bill pay, which sends a check every two weeks (payday) to the Church's mailing address. I never miss a payment, it's always on time.

• Members

I figured that I spend that much on health I could at least give that amount to my Church. I use on-line bill pay, which sends a check every two weeks (payday) to the Church's mailing address. I never miss a payment, it's always on time.

An interesting approach I've not heard of before.

I have noticed in some areas online and automatic giving are used by several folks.

• Members

I've know many through the years that claim they can hardly give any, that after they pay their bills, that they have barely enough left over to buy food. They seem to say I'm going to get caught up one of these days, but it seems something else always comes along that they think they've just got to have, so they charge it creating another bill to pay each month, thus it seem they will never get out of the hole. They just keep digging deeper.

Seems those wants keeps getting in the way of giving to God for many.

Just for the record.

2Co 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

I just don't believe the person who tithes can be a cheerful giver.

• Members

What say you?
I base my giving on this verse

2 Corinthians 9:7 (KJV) Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

and on what I have available to give.

I do not base it on the tithe for two reasons:

1. God's tithe was never required of those who lived outside the Holy Land.
2. I am neither a agriculturist, nor do I raise livestock.

When I give, I give what I am able to give. Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members

What about everybody else on OB?...Surely more folks here give to their church.

When giving, does your giving come first or do you determine your giving after allocating money for other things?

What place, if any, does prayer hold in regards to your giving?

• Members

A little off subject but I have a friend who has a small church, around 65 members, in Pennsylvania. He never passes an offering plate around the church and seldom mentions about giving unless a missionary or guest preacher is in church. He keeps a small box in the back of the church and if you want give than you drop it in there. His church is still going strong after 15 years and they even support a few missionaries as well as have a little bible institute during the week. That's what you call depending on God.

• Members

A little off subject but I have a friend who has a small church, around 65 members, in Pennsylvania. He never passes an offering plate around the church and seldom mentions about giving unless a missionary or guest preacher is in church. He keeps a small box in the back of the church and if you want give than you drop it in there. His church is still going strong after 15 years and they even support a few missionaries as well as have a little bible institute during the week. That's what you call depending on God.

:amen: A Christian should not need to be badgered into giving and pastors should not spend valuable time trying to get people to give or give more.

What a wonderful testimony George Mueller (and others) have left for us, in how they never put out a call for money but rather took all their needs to God in prayer and God provided.

Our church passes the plate during services and we pray before and after but there is no prodding of folks to give. When our church holds special events there is no call for offerings and no plate is passed around lest visitors and those who may only attend church once or twice a year get the idea such events are about "making money" for the church.