• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can't Quit What You've Never Started

• Members
Anne Rice: 'I Quit Being A Christian'

I John 2:19 'They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.'

Anne Rice, famous for Interview with the Vampire and the Vampire Chronicles, announced on Wednesday of last week (July 28, 2010) that she was quitting Christianity and being a Christian. She stated that it was impossible for her to belong to a "quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group." She had tried for the last ten years to fit it but had failed to do so. In listing her reasons for quitting she said, "I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life." In other words, she is saying that she is most assuredly anti-Bible and anti-God. She claims to still be committed to Christ, but you can not turn your back on the Bible and on God and remain a follower of Christ. It does not work like that.

Anne Rice grew up in a Catholic home where she even attended a Catholic school. At the age of 18 she turned her back on the Catholic religion and chose to be an atheist. For the next 40 years she denied the existence of God, Christ, or the veracity of the Word of God. About 10 years ago she made a very public announcement that she was returning to the Catholic church from which she had strayed. It is OBvious through her own testimony and especially through her literary works that she has never once experienced a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. She has never repented of her sins and asked the Lord Jesus Christ to forgive her and save her from those sins.

My friends, the "Church" can not save you. I do not care what name they put on the building whether it be Baptist, Methodist, Anglican, Lutheran, Catholic, etc... Anne Rice grew up in the Catholic church which is a false religion teaching works for salvation among other heresies. She then spent over half her life denying the very existence of God only to return to a false religion that does not teach the truth of salvation. She can not quit being a Christian because she has never truly been one at any point in her life. It takes more then being a member of a church to be a Christian. It has been said many times before:

Sitting in a church makes you as much a Christian as standing in a garage makes you a car.

If you are putting your trust in anything other than the Lord Jesus Christ for your salvation then you will be in for a rude awakening one day. One must be born again if they are ever going to see Heaven. I pray that Anne Rice may realize that truth before it is eternally too late. I also hope that if you are reading this that you have put your faith and trust in the Lord Jesus Christ as your personal Saviour. If you have not then He stands ready to save you today if you will trust in Him.

In Christ,
PreacherE

• Members

Sentiments such as those expressed by Ms. Rice make me weep. This seems to be Christianity on their own terms quite outside the commandments of our Creator. She says she refuses to be anti-gay, anti-feminist and so forth, and wishes to decide for herself what she will believe and what seems right to her.

Woe u
nt
o him that striveth with his Maker! Let the p
ot
sherd strive with the p
ot
sherds of the earth. Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, What makest thou? or thy work, He hath no hands?
(Isaiah 45:9)

I should not be so surprised, however. What influences creep in when we encourage daliances with evils such as vampires and whatever else her books promote. It is a caution to everyone to avoid any familiarity with evil no matter how innocuously it may appear, including being presented in the form of "harmless entertainment".

This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
For men shall be lovers of their own selves
, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, dis
OB
edie
nt
to pare
nt
s, u
nt
hankful, unholy, without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, inco
nt
ine
nt
, fierce, despisers of those that are good, traitors, heady, highminded,
lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
For of this sort are they which creep i
nt
o houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
(2 Tim
ot
hy 3:1-7)

• Members

You are exactly right! Most "Christians" today treat the Bible like a buffet table. They come up to it and pick through it taking what they want and leaving behind what they do not like.

II Timothy 4:3-4 'For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ear; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.'

You are right about the influences as well. What we take in through our eyes and ears will affect and mold the way we think and act.

• Members

I'm surprised that those who are part of a church, RCC & others, that does not teach its members how to be saved do as well as they do, for everything they do is under their very own power, not of the power of God.

2Co 4:7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

Of course this only applies to those who have been saved, those who have the Holy Spirit abiding within them, they walk under the power of God.

I've read about Anne Rice before, seems she has major spiritual troubles.

• Members

Anne Rice: 'I Quit Being A Christian'

I John 2:19 'They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.'

Anne Rice, famous for Interview with the Vampire and the Vampire Chronicles, announced on Wednesday of last week (July 28, 2010) that she was quitting Christianity and being a Christian. She stated that it was impossible for her to belong to a "quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group." She had tried for the last ten years to fit it but had failed to do so. In listing her reasons for quitting she said, "I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life." In other words, she is saying that she is most assuredly anti-Bible and anti-God. She claims to still be committed to Christ, but you can not turn your back on the Bible and on God and remain a follower of Christ. It does not work like that.

Anne Rice grew up in a Catholic home where she even attended a Catholic school. At the age of 18 she turned her back on the Catholic religion and chose to be an atheist. For the next 40 years she denied the existence of God, Christ, or the veracity of the Word of God. About 10 years ago she made a very public announcement that she was returning to the Catholic church from which she had strayed. It is OBvious through her own testimony and especially through her literary works that she has never once experienced a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. She has never repented of her sins and asked the Lord Jesus Christ to forgive her and save her from those sins.

My friends, the "Church" can not save you. I do not care what name they put on the building whether it be Baptist, Methodist, Anglican, Lutheran, Catholic, etc... Anne Rice grew up in the Catholic church which is a false religion teaching works for salvation among other heresies. She then spent over half her life denying the very existence of God only to return to a false religion that does not teach the truth of salvation. She can not quit being a Christian because she has never truly been one at any point in her life. It takes more then being a member of a church to be a Christian. It has been said many times before:

Sitting in a church makes you as much a Christian as standing in a garage makes you a car.

If you are putting your trust in anything other than the Lord Jesus Christ for your salvation then you will be in for a rude awakening one day. One must be born again if they are ever going to see Heaven. I pray that Anne Rice may realize that truth before it is eternally too late. I also hope that if you are reading this that you have put your faith and trust in the Lord Jesus Christ as your personal Saviour. If you have not then He stands ready to save you today if you will trust in Him.

In Christ,
PreacherE

AMEN, PreacherE!
That's right!

• Members

Sentiments such as those expressed by Ms. Rice make me weep. This seems to be Christianity on their own terms quite outside the commandments of our Creator. She says she refuses to be anti-gay, anti-feminist and so forth, and wishes to decide for herself what she will believe and what seems right to her.

Woe u
nt
o him that striveth with his Maker! Let the p
ot
sherd strive with the p
ot
sherds of the earth. Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, What makest thou? or thy work, He hath no hands?
(Isaiah 45:9)

I should not be so surprised, however. What influences creep in when we encourage daliances with evils such as vampires and whatever else her books promote. It is a caution to everyone to avoid any familiarity with evil no matter how innocuously it may appear, including being presented in the form of "harmless entertainment".

This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
For men shall be lovers of their own selves
, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, dis
OB
edie
nt
to pare
nt
s, u
nt
hankful, unholy, without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, inco
nt
ine
nt
, fierce, despisers of those that are good, traitors, heady, highminded,
lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
For of this sort are they which creep i
nt
o houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
(2 Tim
ot
hy 3:1-7)

AMEN, "Miss Linda!"

• Members

You are exactly right! Most "Christians" today treat the Bible like a buffet table. They come up to it and pick through it taking what they want and leaving behind what they do not like.

II Timothy 4:3-4 'For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ear; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.'

You are right about the influences as well. What we take in through our eyes and ears will affect and mold the way we think and act.

AMEN, again, Brother!
The folk of which you speak aren't Christians! They may be saved, but they surely aren't Christians!

• Members

I'm surprised that those who are part of a church, RCC & others, that does not teach its members how to be saved do as well as they do, for everything they do is under their very own power, not of the power of God.

2Co 4:7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

Of course this only applies to those who have been saved, those who have the Holy Spirit abiding within them, they walk under the power of God.

I've read about Anne Rice before, seems she has major spiritual troubles.

Brother Jerry, I know of some "IFB's" who have the power of personality and not the power of God! They look like they're growing, but, if you really look close, (and in some cases, you don't have to look that close,) you'll see, they're dead and just swelling!
BTW, something I haven't seen yet in this thread, a Catholic, isn't a Christian!

• Members

Our pastor mentioned this today and pointed out that we shouldn't allow our enemies to frame our beliefs. Such as we shouldn't accept their negative interpretation that we are "anti-abortion", rather we are Pro-Life. It's our positive belief that all life comes from God and is therefore precious and no one should be murdered no matter their age or stage of development.

Some folks do indeed view Christians as being very negative and always "against or anti" and while we must take stands against the forces of evil, we should do so in as positive and loving manner as we can.

We want to free homosexuals from their sin and see them born again in Christ so they don't spend an eternity in hell.

Ours is the positive message and we should convey it as such.

• Members

Our pastor mentioned this today and pointed out that we shouldn't allow our enemies to frame our beliefs. Such as we shouldn't accept their negative interpretation that we are "anti-abortion", rather we are Pro-Life. It's our positive belief that all life comes from God and is therefore precious and no one should be murdered no matter their age or stage of development.

Some folks do indeed view Christians as being very negative and always "against or anti" and while we must take stands against the forces of evil, we should do so in as positive and loving manner as we can.

We want to free homosexuals from their sin and see them born again in Christ so they don't spend an eternity in hell.

Ours is the positive message and we should convey it as such.

Of course, we are against sin, they hate us because we are against the things they love to do. Furthermore, if like John the Baptist, you point out someones sins, they may muder you as was the case with John the Baptist. I might add, if we take a stand against sin as John the Baptist did, it may cost us dearly.

• Members

Brother Jerry, I know of some "IFB's" who have the power of personality and not the power of God! They look like they're growing, but, if you really look close, (and in some cases, you don't have to look that close,) you'll see, they're dead and just swelling!
BTW, something I haven't seen yet in this thread, a Catholic, isn't a Christian!

Your right, many of them are sliver tongued devils. And these sliver tongued devils get into many churches. Most people will not stand against them, for generally they are well though of in their communities, and if you spake against them, most people will claim your the devil.

• Members

Of course, we are against sin, they hate us because we are against the things they love to do. Furthermore, if like John the Baptist, you point out someones sins, they may muder you as was the case with John the Baptist. I might add, if we take a stand against sin as John the Baptist did, it may cost us dearly.

It seems American Christians especially don't want to face any kind of negative consequences for taking a stand for Christ. Typically when a Christian says they don't want to offend someone by taking a stand, what they really mean is they don't want to face the consequences of doing so.

Christ said if we truly follow Him we WILL face persecution, not that we might face persecution.

Not denying Christ before men means much more than never saying you don't believe in Christ but also we are not to deny Christ in our daily lives...what we say, what we stand for, what we accept, who we pal around with, in all things. If we fail to stand for Christ in all things we are denying Him.

• Members

In a Sword of the Lord booklet entitled, The New Modernism, by Dr, Hugh Pyle, published in 1995, he states this about the positive thought people that are flooding our churches. "The New Modernism would have us believe that if you take this Bible literally about coming world judgment and Armageddon, you are just a 'profit of gloom.' You can't dwell on things like that and be 'positive,' so preaching on sin or judgment must go!"

I might add.
Even in our Baptist Churches we have many members that wants everything positive, an upbeat worship time, no negatives at all coming from the pastors mouth. A pastor cannot stand behind a pulpit of a true New Testament Church and preach positives, that is if he is going to preach and hold to Bible truths. There is lots of what I call doom and gloom in the bible. For instants, this world, its going to be destroyed by fire, and all the works of it, which means many people are going to lose everything they love and have. And of course, all of those who stand before Jesus at the great white throne, doom and gloom is the only thing they have ahead of them. The Modernism people in our Baptist Churches don't want to hear it, they want everything positive. Oh, something positive, those who have that wonderful 'gift,' in that day they will have no doom and gloom before them throughout all eternity.

• Members

The positive message of the Bible is that all the negatives can be rightly dealt with by being born again in Christ. Christ will get us through the negative things in this life and He will keep us with Himself in the next so the fire and brimstone will not pertain to us.

As our pastor often points out, too many today want to talk only about God's grace and mercy. Very important, but equally important is that God is a God of justice and judgement and this must be preached in balance along with the message of grace and mercy.

Hell awaits those who are not in Christ, this is God's justice and judgement, but God extends His grace and mercy to us so that if we are in Christ we will not face hell.

• Members

The positive message of the Bible is that all the negatives can be rightly dealt with by being born again in Christ. Christ will get us through the negative things in this life and He will keep us with Himself in the next so the fire and brimstone will not pertain to us.

As our pastor often points out, too many today want to talk only about God's grace and mercy. Very important, but equally important is that God is a God of justice and judgement and this must be preached in balance along with the message of grace and mercy.

Hell awaits those who are not in Christ, this is God's justice and judgement, but God extends His grace and mercy to us so that if we are in Christ we will not face hell.

:amen: