• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Preachers vs Pastors

• Members

It's been said "Preaching IS NOT a gift God gives to some; but Preaching IS a commandment God gives to all his children". Therefore if one is a "Preacher" does that automatically make him qualified to be a "Pastor"?? What Think Ye ???

Edited by Bro K

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I have to agree with this statement. I have also seen great pastors who are terrible preachers and vice versa.

I agree with you, there! However, if you're talking about qualifications, they're the same whether someone be a Pastor, Evangelist, Missionary or whatever Preacher they be!

• Members

It's been said "Preaching IS NOT a gift God gives to some; but Preaching IS a commandment God gives to all his children". Therefore if one is a "Preacher" does that automatically make him qualified to be a "Pastor"?? What Think Ye ???

There are lots of good men who preach because God gives them the opportunity to, whether they are "called" to preach full time or not. There's no way that being able to preach automatically qualifies someone for the pastorate.

• Members

There are lots of good men who preach because God gives them the opportunity to, whether they are "called" to preach full time or not. There's no way that being able to preach automatically qualifies someone for the pastorate.

A call to preach, is a full-time call! If someone who's qualified to preach can just lay it down and pick it up, chances are, they weren't even called, in the first place!

• Members
However, if you're talking about qualifications, they're the same whether someone be a Pastor, Evangelist, Missionary or whatever Preacher they be!

I gotta disagree with you on this one. The only two God-ordained offices in the local church are pastors and deacons. The qualifications outlined in Scripture address those two offices. A convicted murderer who got saved in prison would be disqualified from pastoring or being a deacon in a church, but that doesn't prevent him from preaching or becoming a "missionary" to prisons. In fact, I would say he might be the best man to head up a church's prison ministry.

• Members

I gotta disagree with you on this one. The only two God-ordained offices in the local church are pastors and deacons. The qualifications outlined in Scripture address those two offices. A convicted murderer who got saved in prison would be disqualified from pastoring or being a deacon in a church, but that doesn't prevent him from preaching or becoming a "missionary" to prisons. In fact, I would say he might be the best man to head up a church's prison ministry.

I agree whole-heartedly. I have known many an evangelist who would not qualify for a pastor or deacon. However, some will argue that a divorced man would not be qualified as a missionary because he acts as the pastor of the church on the foreign field. I have heard arguments for both sides of this debate.

• Members

I agree whole-heartedly. I have known many an evangelist who would not qualify for a pastor or deacon. However, some will argue that a divorced man would not be qualified as a missionary because he acts as the pastor of the church on the foreign field. I have heard arguments for both sides of this debate.

To me it seems they are one in the same (missionary/pastor) but maybe I am wrong. If you are a missionary that is going to start a church in a foreign country, you are the Pastor of that Church and should have to abide by the qualifications set by God.

• Members

To me it seems they are one in the same (missionary/pastor) but maybe I am wrong. If you are a missionary that is going to start a church in a foreign country, you are the Pastor of that Church and should have to abide by the qualifications set by God.

While I tend to agree with you and would personally apply that definition; I do know there is no "mission" or "missionary" in the KJV Bible and thus I'm assuming the word (and various meanings given down through the ages) is subject to a few different meanings and applications as to what is a "missionary."

I know that in some places a female Christian school teacher going to serve in a 3rd world country as a teacher might be called a missionary; the word is also used by the Mormons for their young men going door to door giving out tracts; and yet in my understanding of a traditional IFB missionary it would be a called preacher going forth to win souls and help start a church. In the latter scenario, sometimes the missionary stays and becomes the pastor and sometimes he moves on to another city or area in that country to help start another church. Edited by trc123

• Members

While I tend to agree with you and would personally apply that definition; I do know there is no "mission" or "missionary" in the KJV Bible and thus I'm assuming the word (and various meanings given down through the ages) is subject to a few different meanings and applications as to what a "missionary" is.

I know that in some places a female Christian school teacher going to serve in a 3rd world country as a teacher might be called a missionary; the word is also used by the Mormons for their young men going door to door giving out tracts; and yet in my understanding of a traditional IFB missionaries it would be a called preacher going forth to win souls and help start a church. In the latter scenario sometimes the missionary stays and becomes the pastor and in sometimes he moves on to another city or area in that country to help start another church.

I had forgotten about some teachers or nurses and the like being called missionaries since they are on a foreign field.

• Members

Bro Denis, You're right! They're one in the same! There's no difference!
That being said, the qualifications still hold!