• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"Who will have all men to be saved"

• Members

*sigh* Since no one read this the first time, I guess I will make my letters big. Heart Strings started this topic a month ago. It just got bumped up my webers_home. This was not one of his recent posts against Calvinism. If you look above at his original post, it says it was started July 31.

Edited by amblivion

• Members

Well, I had no idea it was a refutation of Calvanism because you didn't include a statement to that effect. In point of fact, because of your strong emphasis on verse 4; I assumed you were a universalist.
It was not my intention to refute any of the so-called five points of Calvanism but rather to refute universalism's philosophy that (1) everybody is God's kin, and (2) nOBody goes to a Hell.

1Tim 2:4-6 is one of their favorite "proof" texts. Ironically, though the universalists with whom I've dialogued believe their proof texts to be Spirit-fathered, they insist that the remainder of the Bible is not, and therefore cannot be trusted. One of their ilk even insisted that the only portion of the entire Bible that's Spirit-fathered are the four Gospels!

(chuckle) He really painted himself into a corner with that position since the gospel of John states quite clearly, and without ambiguity, that it's necessary to undergo a second birth as per John 1:12-13 and John 3:3-8 in order to OBtain the right to a place around the table in God's home as His lawful kin.

C.L.I.F.F.
/

Verse 4 does not mean that God is going to save everyone; it means that He WANTS everyone to be saved. Unfortunately, not every person will be saved, because not everyone is willing trust in Jesus. But those who are born of the Spirit, are saved forvever. I am not a universalist, calvinist, or even an arminian.