• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Who is your favorite preacher?

1 member has voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite preacher?

• James Lyman
    • Larry Keffer
    • Steven Anderson
    • Wally Lanford
    • Pat Robertson
    • JJ Hunter (no, not the hokey player)

• Members

In all of the videos I have watched of these men preach, I have seen a lack of charity. I have only seen fire and brimstone and judgment. I am not saying that fire and brimstone are bad, but it must be done in love. The Bible shows how important charity is in our everyday lifes as a Christian:

1 Corinthians 13

1Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

2And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

3And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

4Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

5Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

6Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

7Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

8Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

9For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

10But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

11When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

12For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

13And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

1 Corinthians 16:14

Let all your things be done with charity.

Colossians 3:14

And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.

Titus 2:2

That the aged men be sOBer, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience.

1 Peter 4:8

And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.

All of these verses speak about charity and how important it is in a Christians life. Our words and mannerisms have great meaning when speaking. Our voice can inflect love, fear, rage, anger, and many other emotions. One thing we must remember when sharing the Gospel or truth is that charity never fails. As I said above, I am not saying fire and brimstone is bad, but if there is no charity, it profiteth nothing. I know the woman at the well was posted in a thread earlier. This is a great example of how Jesus rebuked and corrected someone but did it with great love. He did not call her a fool or tell her to shut up. There are times however when Jesus did rebuke rather sharply. He rebuked the pharisees many times, but he knew their hearts. We do not know the hearts of people, especially people we just met. We must continue to pray fervently for them and preach the Gospel to them in love.

Thank you, very much! :amen::amen: :amen:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

AMEN!
My pastor, Brian Durden, would be my first pick! Next, would be, Evangelist Larry Raynes, of Taylors, SC! Got a whole bunch more, but you really only asked for one and I've already given two!

Update... Just posted two messages from Brother Raynes, on my site! Check 'em out! Before ya ask, don't have any messages from Brother Durden on the hard drive yet!

• Members

I find Adrian Rogers to be rather modernist.

James Lyman's style on the other hand is rather wonderful. Powerful preaching, powerful rebukes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxodFBlVJ4
He may not be on TV, but he is true.

Anyone who doesn't wear suspenders is a modernist preacher.

There are so many great preachers I've heard preach. One right off the top of my head is Walter Stowe who has a church out in Roy, Washington. I believe he is retired now, though.

Charles Lawson is another preacher I love to listen to:

http://www.thelionofjudah.org/

• Members

I have never heard of any of the above preachers (except for Pat ROBertson, and I don't care for his ministry), so I'd have to say "none of the above" as well, I guess. I'd have to say that my husband and my pastor are my "favorite" preachers.

Edit: Wait a minute...Is Steven Anderson the pastor of Faithful Word Baptist Church? If so, I guess I have heard of him...but, again, I do not respect him or his ministry (judging by the little I know about him, anyway).

Edited by Annie

• Members

Yes, Steven Anderson is the pastor of Faithful Word Baptist Church. I fail to see how any Christian can not admire his Godly zeal. He reminds me of my own youth, back in the 50's and 60's. The only prOBlem with him, is the ignorant rejection of Calvinism. As true Christians, we must work to reform him off that heresy.

I suggest you peruse his youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/sanderson1611

• Members

In all of the videos I have watched of these men preach, I have seen a lack of charity. I have only seen fire and brimstone and judgment. I am not saying that fire and brimstone are bad, but it must be done in love. The Bible shows how important charity is in our everyday lifes as a Christian:

1 Corinthians 13

1Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

2And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

3And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

4Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

5Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

6Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

7Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

8Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

9For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

10But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

11When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

12For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

13And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

1 Corinthians 16:14

Let all your things be done with charity.

Colossians 3:14

And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.

Titus 2:2

That the aged men be sOBer, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience.

1 Peter 4:8

And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.

All of these verses speak about charity and how important it is in a Christians life. Our words and mannerisms have great meaning when speaking. Our voice can inflect love, fear, rage, anger, and many other emotions. One thing we must remember when sharing the Gospel or truth is that charity never fails. As I said above, I am not saying fire and brimstone is bad, but if there is no charity, it profiteth nothing. I know the woman at the well was posted in a thread earlier. This is a great example of how Jesus rebuked and corrected someone but did it with great love. He did not call her a fool or tell her to shut up. There are times however when Jesus did rebuke rather sharply. He rebuked the pharisees many times, but he knew their hearts. We do not know the hearts of people, especially people we just met. We must continue to pray fervently for them and preach the Gospel to them in love.

What about the Holy Spirit's leading, does that come into the picture here? Sometimes people need that hard-core fundamental rebuke, and others need a softer touch. No one fits into every mold.

I have to make a correction to my previous statement, I have heard of Pat ROBinson too, but would not go across the street to hear him! Edited by irishman

• Members

Yes, Steven Anderson is the pastor of Faithful Word Baptist Church. I fail to see how any Christian can not admire his Godly zeal. He reminds me of my own youth, back in the 50's and 60's. The only prOBlem with him, is the ignorant rejection of Calvinism. As true Christians, we must work to reform him off that heresy.

I suggest you peruse his youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/sanderson1611

Oh, I have perused his youtube channel, and am not impressed in the least with Steven Anderson's careless use of God's Word. I have not heard even one sermon of his in which Scripture is not horribly twisted and misused. Zeal is great, but zeal without knowledge can be seriously misleading.

• Members

Anyone who doesn't wear suspenders is a modernist preacher.

There are so many great preachers I've heard preach. One right off the top of my head is Walter Stowe who has a church out in Roy, Washington. I believe he is retired now, though.

Charles Lawson is another preacher I love to listen to:

http://www.thelionofjudah.org/

Now, there's a name I recognize, Charles Lawson; great preacher! Have ya ever heard or seen any of Brother Cape's (sp?) messages on there?

• Administrators

Oh, I have perused his youtube channel, and am not impressed in the least with Steven Anderson's careless use of God's Word. I have not heard even one sermon of his in which Scripture is not horribly twisted and misused. Zeal is great, but zeal without knowledge can be seriously misleading.

What Annie said! :thumb:

• Members

What about the Holy Spirit's leading, does that come into the picture here? Sometimes people need that hard-core fundamental rebuke, and others need a softer touch. No one fits into every mold.

I have to make a correction to my previous statement, I have heard of Pat ROBinson too, but would not go across the street to hear him!

A whole-hearted AMEN!

• Members

You're right on, Sis!

• Members

Your analysis is very strange, indeed. How exactly can preaching the Bible "twist" or "misuse" the scripture? If scripture says something, we are to believe it. No compromises. No personal opinions. Just believe it. If you don't like what it says, then you are wrong. If you refuse to admit that you are wrong, then it is your preacher's jOB to hammer that into you. That's what Pastor Anderson does, as he should do.

• Administrators

Your analysis is very strange, indeed. How exactly can preaching the Bible "twist" or "misuse" the scripture? If scripture says something, we are to believe it. No compromises. No personal opinions. Just believe it. If you don't like what it says, then you are wrong. If you refuse to admit that you are wrong, then it is your preacher's jOB to hammer that into you. That's what Pastor Anderson does, as he should do.

Preaching the Bible doesn't twist or misuse scripture. Twisting and misusing scripture is what does that. THAT's what Steven Anderson (and many others who try to mold scripture around their pet ideas) does.

Actually, if a person refuses to admit they are wrong, it's the HOLY SPIRIT's jOB to "hammer" it in - via the Word of God (which is a hammer), sometimes presented by the pastor, sometimes a fellow Christian.