• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Losing the Battle with Culture

• Members

Losing the Battle with Culture

I was listening to a conference discussion and one of the speakers made an acute OBservation. He was asked why there was so little concern for holiness in the church and in our culture. He pointed out that the one led to the other.

The jOB of the church is to have a sanctifying effect on the community. We are supposed to rub off on those around us. Unfortunately, said the speaker, it is working the other way around.

He gave one example: our OBservance of the Sabbath (one of God's big Ten). 30 years ago businesses were closed on the Sabbath. It was understood that this was the day God's people went to church to sit under the teaching of the Scriptures. Even some major sports didn't play on Sunday (some golf tournaments ended on Saturday instead of Sunday). That of course is no longer the case.

As I thought about what the speaker said I knew he was right. When any group of Pastors gets together there is a common complaint . . . the worship and service of God is too low on the priority list of most parishoners. We are to have no other God's before Him yet we put: sleep, sports, yard work, shopping, day trips, family reunions all before the Lord when it comes to Sunday.

Understand the clear message that is being sent to the world: "Christians don't take God's Word seriously . . . . so there is no reason for us to do so either."

I can't imagine anyone concluding that we are better off now than we were 30 years ago. We are more profane, more selfish, and more self-absorbed. We are running more fervently after the material things of the world than ever. We are more distant from God even though mega-churches continue to flourish.

When you look around and wonder: "What happened?" Remind yourself that these things come as a result of Christians feeling they can negotiate with Scripture. God's standards haven't changed. Our response to those standards has changed. It is time for "Christians" to once again actually follow Christ.

Pastor Bruce

• Members

Is this not a prOBlem in your area?

Our pastor and associate pastor have been battling this growing prOBlem here for years. It's become even worse since our local high school consolidated with a couple other high schools. Where the local school board was more inclined to listen to our pastor, the new combined school district school board isn't interested in such.

What a shame that Christians will say no to church, will say no to what for many would be their one day with God and His people, and say yes to sports, sports banquets, etc.

Where are the strong, devout Christians who are willing to take a stand for Christ and say no to the schools, the sports, the clubs and other things which determine to schedule events on Sunday? I know at least one used to post here who trained their children well and put Chirst ahead of sports.

What impact might Christians have on their community if they were more devoted to Christ than sports? Imagine a third of players (or half, one-fourth, three-fourths, whatever) boldly proclaimed they would not participate in any sporting related activity on Sundays.

• Members

Some in each generation says that, yet its been the same with each generation. In each generation you've got those who are on fire for our Lord, them there's the skaters & slackers.

I might add, some with say that, be on fire for the Lord, for a little while, trying to build a fire under others, wondering why the fire will not light, yet them fall away, while the skaters and slackers hang on doing as they've always done, seemly never facing burn out.

• Members

The Lord's Day is indeed not respected by supposed Christians today. Holiness is gone from the people of God. But, that's not surprising, since most who claim to be His are not His at all.

I say it's time for all-out war.
God bless,
Joel ><>.
2 Chronicles 7:14.

• Members

I had dinner with a couple of dear sisters in Christ this evening and this was the very topic of discussion that engaged most of our attention. It is frightening to see the apathy with which matters of spiritual importance are held. How can Christians witness to the world if they behave, think, dress and act just as the world does? We are to be separate "Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you" (2 Cor. 6:17).

We are completely inundated every moment of the day with the false religions of materialism. It is constantly presented to us through every possible media avenue. Just driving down the street we pass billboards promising a better life if one purchases this car or this house or this whatever. Sometimes I think we are once again living in the age of Noah, and even the Christians fill their minds and lives only with a desire to please themselves and give God whatever is left over.

And yet, I have hope. God will not leave us utterly alone. Perhaps we can continue to encourage each other to be strong in our faith. To my mind, this fellowship with other faithful Christians brings a bit of Heaven here to Earth.

Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints, to execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him. These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts; and their mouth speaketh great swelling words, having men’s persons in admiration because of advantage. But, beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ; how that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts. These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit. But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. (Jude 14–21)

• Members

I remember as a child when virtually nothing was open on Sunday. Today, virtually nothing is closed on Sunday.

Today Christians who believe Sunday should be a day for gathering with the saints in church and not for sports and other worldly endeavors are considered radicals.

• Members

I remember as a child when virtually nothing was open on Sunday. Today, virtually nothing is closed on Sunday.

Today Christians who believe Sunday should be a day for gathering with the saints in church and not for sports and other worldly endeavors are considered radicals.

We had Blue Laws in Texas until they were repealed in 1985, which restricted the purchase of certain types of goods and compelled some merchants to remain closed on the Lord's Day. I was still in high school when it was repealed but I still remember the Blue Laws. Around here, it was viewed favorably.

Somewhere along the way, we have decided that the universe revolves around us and God has little place in it. It seems to me that Christians have lost an intentional disctinctiveness. They participate in the same leisure activities--even going to worldly movies, owning televisions and watching worldly television shows, reading books about witches and wizards (or allowing their children to do so).

I know every time I have ever applied for a jOB I have had to state clearly in the jOB interview that I am available for overtime but not available to work on Sunday. I feel compelled to say that during the interview process, so there will be no surprises later if I am actually asked to work on Sunday and have to politely decline. I often think of how much, as a Christian nation, we have taken advantage of the many advantages and blessings He has poured out upon us, and how ungrateful we are. But not all have fallen away. There are many who still love Him earnestly and seek to please Him with every aspect of their lives. I have met many such people on this very forum, and it encourages me so very much!

• Members

Definitely one of the great things of Europe (not sure if it's every country but prOBably most) is that just about everything is closed on Sunday. And you know, maybe people have lost sight of why things are closed but I think at the very least maybe it pushes a few to Church.

• Members

II Thess 2:1-3 tells us that there "will come a falling away" before the return of Christ. Many believe this can be seen thru the deterioration of society; which is understandable. However, I believe it is more applicable to the Christian Family; since we are the only ones who possess anything to fall away from. As we see these things occur we should surely not like it; HOWEVER, look up our Redeemer draweth nigh(LK 21:28) !!!!!!!!

• Members

II Thess 2:1-3 tells us that there "will come a falling away" before the return of Christ. Many believe this can be seen thru the deterioration of society; which is understandable. However, I believe it is more applicable to the Christian Family; since we are the only ones who possess anything to fall away from. As we see these things occur we should surely not like it; HOWEVER, look up our Redeemer draweth nigh(LK 21:28) !!!!!!!!

:amen: