• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Ordained to Eternal Life

• Members

You have to keep in mind that when Jesus came the first time, He put His glory and majesty aside to live the life of a perfect Man and to die in order to save mankind. When He comes back the second time, He will not come meek on a donkey, but He will come in full glory as a conqueror on a white horse and slay His adversaries with the sword of His mouth (Revelation 19:11-21). We could also get into a long discussion on the Trinity on this matter, but I'd rather not at the moment.

The reason why many so-called Christians don't have their eyes on Christ is because they do not see His supreme worth. In order to see His supreme worth, they must read the Biblical description of God and believe it. People do not see God as majestic and infinitely supreme, they see Him as someone to go to in trouble, a ticket to heaven, a crutch in hard times.. in other words, a servant and not Lord. They see Him as a small god who can help them fulfill their desires; an idol, not God.

Unfortunately, this is the sort of Jesus many churches preach. It's little wonder that many in America have a view of Jesus like unto a 60s hippy flower child; all about love and being mellow.

There has been a great overfocus upon God being a God of love and far too little on God being a God of justice. Both are in perfect balance in the true biblical God.

Too many view God/Jesus as being so much into love he surely wouldn't send anybody to hell, He wouldn't really expect anyone to deny themselves, He would understand all forms of human "love" (adultries, premarital sex, homosexual relations, etc.), and when really needed He's there to call out to.

How often do preachers and professing Christians talk about God like some long lost buddy from high school or college. They proclaim that when they see Jesus face-to-face they will slap Him on the back and ask Him about this or that and they'll chat for awhile. Meanwhile, the Jesus of the Bible is so holy, so majestic, that His very best earthly friend, the Apostle John, upon seeing Him when receiving the Revelation, fell at His feet as dead (Rev. 1:17).

Jesus is King of kings and Lord of lords. Every knee shall bow before Him.

Professing Christians don't follow Jesus because they don't truly see Him as their majestic King, their Lord. As Christ Himself asked, why call me Lord when you don't do as I say?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Some preachers say "Accept Christ so you will go to heaven." Or "Accept Christ so you won't go to Hell."

"Come to Jesus and have your sins forgiven" "Say 'Yes to Jesus' tonight and you will be saved."

That is not Christianity, that is humanism which says the chief aim of man is happiness. Christianity says the chief aim of man is to glorify God and his Christ.

• Members

Some preachers say "Accept Christ so you will go to heaven." Or "Accept Christ so you won't go to Hell."

"Come to Jesus and have your sins forgiven" "Say 'Yes to Jesus' tonight and you will be saved."

That is not Christianity, that is humanism which says the chief aim of man is happiness. Christianity says the chief aim of man is to glorify God and his Christ.

Are the statements " " above not true. Is it not Christianity to present the plan of salvation to the world.

• Members

Are the statements " " above not true. Is it not Christianity to present the plan of salvation to the world.

That's not the plan of salvation. Man, when will you guys stop using man's silly phrases and get your words from the Bible? Look at how the apostles preached and compare it to today's "If you say this prayer you will be saved" evangelism. It's not the magic words! It's not a prayer! It's a state of heart! You can say all the right words and never repent and you will go straight to hell! The preaching of the gospel should break the hearts of men! Then will they only ever truly repent - when they see their miserable plight and the mercy of God! This simple believeism and magic prayers disgusts me! It is a major disservice to unbelievers and those who preach it will receive the greater damnation lest they repent!

Invicta,
What is the chief aim of God?
And what would make man WANT to glorify God?

The chief aim of God is His glory and His pleasure. What can make a man want to join God in that cause? Only God Himself. Think about it. How many people want heaven? How many people think they are going to heaven? Now tell me, how many of them want God's glory above all else? Suddenly, the number shrinks perhaps tenfold or more. Why? How can one be saved and not want the glory of God? God is God-centered, not man-centered, and that is why those who are truly saved are God-centered as well. That is the message of the Bible. It is not that God wants to make things great for people, it's that He wants people to join Him in His glory!

I know the first time I thought about those thoughts, they seemed extremely strange to me. But please, read your Bible and meditate on the word; this is what you will find. Edited by anime4christ

• Members

That's not the plan of salvation. Man, when will you guys stop using man's silly phrases and get your words from the Bible? Look at how the apostles preached and compare it to today's "If you say this prayer you will be saved" evangelism. It's not the magic words! It's not a prayer! It's a state of heart! You can say all the right words and never repent and you will go straight to hell! The preaching of the gospel should break the hearts of men! Then will they only ever truly repent - when they see their miserable plight and the mercy of God! This simple believeism and magic prayers disgusts me! It is a major disservice to unbelievers and those who preach it will receive the greater damnation lest they repent!

The chief aim of God is His glory and His pleasure. What can make a man want to join God in that cause? Only God Himself. Think about it. How many people want heaven? How many people think they are going to heaven? Now tell me, how many of them want God's glory above all else? Suddenly, the number shrinks perhaps tenfold or more. Why? How can one be saved and not want the glory of God? God is God-centered, not man-centered, and that is why those who are truly saved are God-centered as well. That is the message of the Bible. It is not that God wants to make things great for people, it's that He wants people to join Him in His glory!

I know the first time I thought about those thoughts, they seemed extremely strange to me. But please, read your Bible and meditate on the word; this is what you will find.

1 John 4:19 We love him, because he first loved us.

Luke 12:32 32Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.
Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

Corinthians 13:4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, 5Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; 6Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; 7Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. 8Charity never faileth:

Matthew 22:36Master, which is the great commandment in the law? 37Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38This is the first and great commandment. 39And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

How does one glorify God?
By putting God and your brother before yourself. Just a simple word of kindness to another person will glorify God. That's what iGod is all about brother....loving and giving. John 3:16
Psalm 50:20 Thou sittest and speakest against thy brother; thou slanderest thine own mother's son.I'm not acusing anyone here just trying to show you something.
21These things hast thou done, and I kept silence; thou thoughtest that I was altogether such an one as thyself: but I will reprove thee, and set them in order before thine eyes.
22Now consider this, ye that forget God, lest I tear you in pieces, and there be none to deliver.
23Whoso offereth praise glorifieth me: and to him that ordereth his conversation aright will I shew the salvation of God. Even when you just lift up a brother with kind words, it glorifies God.

The morning I got saved, Mother's Day 1986, the congregation sang "Love Lifted Me" then the preacher(full of the Holy Ghost) preached a gospel message on "The Lord is my Shepherd" from the 23rd Psalm. My prayer was one word: "JESUS"...as I screamed it out loud before I could get out of the pew. No, I don't agree with the "repeat after me" stuff either.
But I will tell you this; the very nature of God is that He loves others: not Himself. I can promise you that. And when you are loving others, you are glorifying Him. And you can only do that from the heart...when He lives in your heart. Edited by heartstrings

• Members

I know the first time I thought about those thoughts, they seemed extremely strange to me. But please, read your Bible and meditate on the word; this is what you will find.

Romans 9:22-23
22What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:

23And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,

Amen, Anime! Our view of salvation is so humanistic that we try to include it in our theology. It is for HIS glory that we are saved as per the attached verse in Romans 9. He has made known the riches of HIS Glory upon us, vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory. I'm not sure if you can reword afore prepared anymore than that. How merciful HE was to afore prepare us, his chosen vessels. Praise Jesus!!

• Members

The morning I got saved, Mother's Day 1986, the congregation sang "Love Lifted Me" then the preacher(full of the Holy Ghost) preached a gospel message on "The Lord is my Shepherd" from the 23rd Psalm. My prayer was one word: "JESUS"...as I screamed it out loud before I could get out of the pew. No, I don't agree with the "repeat after me" stuff either.
But I will tell you this; the very nature of God is that He loves others: not Himself. I can promise you that. And when you are loving others, you are glorifying Him. And you can only do that from the heart...when He lives in your heart.

Thanks for your testimony.

When I was about 15 or 16 I went to an evening service and the preacher was an ex burglar, a giant of a man and on the way out I was expecting to shake his hand, but he stood in the doorway and said "How are you with the Lord." I had no answer. I went into the back room with him and prayed with him and thought I was a christian. But I got worse and worse. Then some years later I thought of what my life had become, and I remebered those words, "How are you with the Lord." and I remembered Peter when he was sinking and he cried "Lord save me." I did the same and I know that he saved me then. I thought at the time that it was me coming to the Lord, but now I know he said "You didn't choose me, I chose you."

• Members

1 John 4:19 We love him, because he first loved us.

Luke 12:32 32Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.
Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

Corinthians 13:4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, 5Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; 6Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; 7Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. 8Charity never faileth:

Matthew 22:36Master, which is the great commandment in the law? 37Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38This is the first and great commandment. 39And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

How does one glorify God?
By putting God and your brother before yourself. Just a simple word of kindness to another person will glorify God. That's what iGod is all about brother....loving and giving. John 3:16
Psalm 50:20 Thou sittest and speakest against thy brother; thou slanderest thine own mother's son.I'm not acusing anyone here just trying to show you something.
21These things hast thou done, and I kept silence; thou thoughtest that I was altogether such an one as thyself: but I will reprove thee, and set them in order before thine eyes.
22Now consider this, ye that forget God, lest I tear you in pieces, and there be none to deliver.
23Whoso offereth praise glorifieth me: and to him that ordereth his conversation aright will I shew the salvation of God. Even when you just lift up a brother with kind words, it glorifies God.

But I will tell you this; the very nature of God is that He loves others: not Himself. I can promise you that. And when you are loving others, you are glorifying Him. And you can only do that from the heart...when He lives in your heart.

Thank you for your testimony. I have to ask though: you did understand God's wrath and judgment for sin before the sermon on Psalm 23 touched you the way it did, right? God must be understood in His severeness and His goodness in order to produce repentance. I agree with you on His great love, but I am emphasizing His jealousy and wrath because that is vital for true repentance and Christian life as well. Otherwise it would not have been included in the Bible.

As for God not being God-centered, how can that be? The Father glorifies the Son and the Son gives His glory to the Father. The Father sends the Holy Spirit to testify of the Son's glory which He gives to the Father. It sure seems to me that God is all about God.

• Members

I'm ordained to drink another Mountain Dew before the day is over.

Brother you would have to mention Mountain Dew when I'm sitting here in this heat and humidity without any! I would very much love an ice cold Mountain Dew right now *thinking cool thoughts and pretending I can taste the cold Dew on my tongue" :coolsmiley:

• Members

Brother you would have to mention Mountain Dew when I'm sitting here in this heat and humidity without any! I would very much love an ice cold Mountain Dew right now *thinking cool thoughts and pretending I can taste the cold Dew on my tongue" :coolsmiley:

I am grateful to God for central air conditioning..........