• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Veterans Assistance

• Members

Here's an ethical question. In my secular jOB, I'm the county veterans officer. In that capacity, I help veterans apply for federal VA benefits and can provide emergency funds for unexpectant bills. The emergency funds come from local taxes and is to be used to help a veteran overcome an emergency not of his/her own making. For example, a veteran gets laid off his jOB, and needs help paying his utilities, this office would assist in that. But here's a different angle to the question:

If a veteran receives a $400 fine for speeding, does that constitute an emergency that would allow county tax money to pay for that fine? Or, can county funds be used to pay his/her utility bill so the veteran can have money to pay the fine?

As taxpayers, how would you feel about your money being spent for that reason?

• Members

Here's an ethical question. In my secular jOB, I'm the county veterans officer. In that capacity, I help veterans apply for federal VA benefits and can provide emergency funds for unexpectant bills. The emergency funds come from local taxes and is to be used to help a veteran overcome an emergency not of his/her own making. For example, a veteran gets laid off his jOB, and needs help paying his utilities, this office would assist in that. But here's a different angle to the question:

If a veteran receives a $400 fine for speeding, does that constitute an emergency that would allow county tax money to pay for that fine? Or, can county funds be used to pay his/her utility bill so the veteran can have money to pay the fine?

Once you, as the decision maker, are aware that the tax payer money would go to the utility bill due to the fact the person got a speeding fine for the same amount, then in my opinion the veteran should not get the assistance. If you didn't know and the veteran misrepresented then the veteran is liable and responsible. But you do know and to do the right thing, in my opinion, you have to decline the request or be legally culpable in the fraud.

You could give the facts as you know them to your supervisor and ask him/her for their decision and direction. If they have the authority to make this decision and give you direction, then they are responsible and have made an exemption in their capacity as the director. But, make sure you document it well that you gave the facts as you knew them and XYZ supervisor made the decision to make the exemption. Edited by trc123

• Moderators

As a veteran myself (with a military lineage in both my own family and my wife's family), I would not count the financial hardship imposed by a ticket any more worthy of assistance than an individual who drank or smoked away their bill money! And I felt that way before getting saved, too.

• Members

I agree with old fashioned, it would not be ethical to pay a ticket because of a man's foolishness, but I have no doubt that they would do so if you recommended it--they seem to be Democrats!

I too am a vet, but I have little faith in the Veteran's Administration in our state, it is a big joke here, as far as I'm concerned, and a bad one! They have reneged on a few promises, and seem to occupy a seat, and that is all. When I returned from Vietnam, I tried to use some of their "benefits" and find a jOB. It was a fiasco to say the least! At that time the economy was doing great (well...compared to today!). I found my own jOB, while they were left "looking" for one for me! I found several, in fact. there were a few other, more severe incidents that end up being a "long story", so I will spare you. I have written them off, and found that the Lord will provide much more abundantly, and efficiently.

• Members

That is nice that they have such a thing to help vets. No doubt, some do need it. I know of 2 local vets that fought in Vietnam, both are affected by what went on. One can't hold down a jOB, the other one can't find a wife that he feels is worthy of him. I think he left all the other ones except for the last one. I might add, each new wife was always younger than the last one. The last one was young enough to be his granddaughter, she had just graduate from high school.

I suppose, after the fine has been paid, and his electricity has been cut off, that might be called an emergency. Surely no one would want a vet and prOBably wife and perhaps family to go without electricity. Sometimes we need to show some grace.