• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Women SS Teachers ??

• Members

Considering I Tim 2:12 and I Cor 14:35; Should a woman teach a women SS Class?

I Tim 2:12..."But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor usurp authority over the man, but to be silence."
I Cor 14:35..."And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home; for it is a shame for women to speak in the church."

• Members

I don't believe they can to the congregation but I think the harder question might be, can they teach to other women and children? I believe the answer to be yes.

My wife teaches my two sons all the time and our Pastors wife does teach the children at Sunday school.

But, the scripture does seem clear so I don't know...it's just the way it's been done in my church and I figure my Pastor is more knowledgeable and there is a reason we do it the way we do. :puzzled3:

• Administrators

The Bible also gives injunction for older women to teach younger women. When you study out those verses, you see that the 1 Corinthians verses are speaking to the fact that women had been speaking out in church. That isn't right (and is one of the reasons that many churches don't allow women to vote at business meetings...some don't even allow women to attend the business meetings).

The idea behind the verses in Timothy is not to forbid women from ever teaching. Women teach every day - and if a woman can't teach, then God wouldn't give her children. :icon_mrgreen: Even if she doesn't school them, she's teaching them.

If the pastor of the church appoints a woman to teach a woman's Sunday School class (and her hubby agrees), there's nothing unscriptural about it - she isn't usurping the authority of the pastor nor her husband. However, if it's a mixed class, she would be. If a church has an adult woman's Sunday School class and a man were the teacher, I wouldn't attend! It would just be too uncomfortable. And in this day and age I think it could be questionable, too, to outsiders. I've attended churches that had mixed adult Sunday School classes, always taught by men, and these were great. But not a ladies class...

• Members

The Bible also gives injunction for older women to teach younger women. When you study out those verses, you see that the 1 Corinthians verses are speaking to the fact that women had been speaking out in church. That isn't right (and is one of the reasons that many churches don't allow women to vote at business meetings...some don't even allow women to attend the business meetings).

The idea behind the verses in Timothy is not to forbid women from ever teaching. Women teach every day - and if a woman can't teach, then God wouldn't give her children. :icon_mrgreen: Even if she doesn't school them, she's teaching them.

If the pastor of the church appoints a woman to teach a woman's Sunday School class (and her hubby agrees), there's nothing unscriptural about it - she isn't usurping the authority of the pastor nor her husband. However, if it's a mixed class, she would be. If a church has an adult woman's Sunday School class and a man were the teacher, I wouldn't attend! It would just be too uncomfortable. And in this day and age I think it could be questionable, too, to outsiders. I've attended churches that had mixed adult Sunday School classes, always taught by men, and these were great. But not a ladies class...

Would she be usurping the authority and/or responsibilities of the husbands whose wives are in the class? I fully support the older(wiser) woman teaching the younger women; but should these teachings be limited to everyday life issues; instead of bibical doctrines.?

• Administrators

Would she be usurping the authority and/or responsibilities of the husbands whose wives are in the class? I fully support the older(wiser) woman teaching the younger women; but should these teachings be limited to everyday life issues; instead of bibical doctrines.?

I don't see how she'd be usurping the husbands' authority - after all, if the husband is okay with his wife going to it, he's de facto giving his permission. If a husband doesn't want his wife in that kind of class, he can say no. I honestly don't know why he would, though, unless he knew the teacher was a doctrinal wacko. I think if it became a preachy kind of thing, it would prOBably be over the line - women preachers, in any venue, are wrong. Most of the women's adult SS classes I have known are about every day life issues - in light of scripture. Stop to think - not even a lot of mixed classes are completely doctrine. They are Bible, applied to life. And truly, I don't think it's wrong for a woman to teach another woman Bible doctrine - after all, salvation is a Bible doctrine, and we wouldn't say that a woman shouldn't tell another woman about the Lord, would we?

edited to add: I know of a church in TN that has several different Sunday School classes on offer. The ladies classes are grouped according to age, which puts new moms together, women in empty nests together, etc. And that can help point a teacher towards needs in a good, specific way. The men's classes vary, not so much by age though. There is also a mixed adult class so that those couples who would rather attend together may. The last time we were there, the pastor was the teacher of that class.

• Members

:goodpost:

I whole heartily agree with you LuAnne!

On a missions trip I went to a month ago, my husband and I decided to go to the Sunday School class on heaven. When the Sunday School teacher walked in and introduced herself it threw us off a little bit. After the Sunday School class, we decided it would have been better for a person more doctrinally grounded to teach the class. We had a whole discussion on soul sleeping. In the end most of the people decided that the Bible isn't clear on the matter and it really doesn't matter. This would be an example of a woman teaching men and upsurping their authority IMO. My husband who is very quiet in crowds was not very happy. I was surprised when he started jumping in the conversation to discuss why soul sleeping is not Biblical. So in a mixed class I absolutely 100% believe a woman should not be teaching. I am not saying a woman can not be doctrinally grounded, but men seem to have more authority and are listened to more in the church setting.

• Administrators

Women teaching children's classes is OK, but that is far as it should go.

With all due respect, Jerry8, if that's the way you and your church want it, that's great!

The hard truth of the matter, though, is if someone takes these verses to mean that a woman can't teach a woman's class, then it has to apply to children as well. Because children are under their father's authority and responsibility. And no women have any business, then, telling anyone about the Lord, because that is teaching.

The whole emphasis in those verses is a woman teaching and preaching to MEN in a church assembly situation. There is no ban on women teaching women (in fact, as I mentioned, older women are TOLD to teach younger women) or children....but if you ban women teaching women, you've got to ban women teaching children, in order to be consistent. (the "you," by the way, is generic, not aimed at anyone in particular)

• Members

With all due respect, Jerry8, if that's the way you and your church want it, that's great!

Quote:
The hard truth of the matter, though, is if someone takes these verses to mean that a woman can't teach a woman's class, then it has to apply to children as well. Because children are under their father's authority and responsibility. And no women have any business, then, telling anyone about the Lord, because that is teaching.

The whole emphasis in those verses is a woman teaching and preaching to MEN in a church assembly situation. There is no ban on women teaching women (in fact, as I mentioned, older women are TOLD to teach younger women) or children....but if you ban women teaching women, you've got to ban women teaching children, in order to be consistent. (the "you," by the way, is generic, not aimed at anyone in particular)

Happy, I agree and disagree with your post. You said the "whole emphasis is a woman teaching and preaching to men in a church assebly situation". Two key points:
1. It is the AUTHORITY of the pulpit that they are not usurp, and not merely men. i agree that a woman should not "preach" to even other women, she is not called preach.

2. "in a church assembly situation" which includes Sunday School, but excludes soul winning. You logic therefore is erroneous. As for elder women teaching the younger, that too applies to a non church assembly type teaching as someone has already said. Teach them to be chaste, keepers at home, etc. as the scriptures say. Edited by BroMatt

• Administrators

Happy, I agree and disagree with your post. You said the "whole emphasis is a woman teaching and preaching to men in a church assebly situation". Two key points:
1. It is the AUTHORITY of the pulpit that they are not usurp, and not merely men. i agree that a woman should not "preach" to even other women, she is not called preach.

2. "in a church assembly situation" which includes Sunday School, but excludes soul winning. You logic therefore is erroneous. As for elder women teaching the younger, that too applies to a non church assembly type teaching as someone has already said. Teach them to be chaste, keepers at home, etc. as the scriptures say.

You're right - it was illogical. Thanks for pointing it out. With the fact that the verses are talking about the authority of the pulpit (and I knew that - I guess I just assumed that the way I worded it showed it, sorry), it should show that if the pastor believes that the church ladies could profit from having a woman's Sunday School class, with a woman teacher (emphasis on teacher, not preacher), it is not unscriptural. FWIW - our church does not have a separate women's Sunday School class. The ladies of our church are doing fine. :icon_mrgreen:

• Members

OK.

What about women missionaries? Are they preaching when they evangelzie? And should they? My great great aunt emigrated to Australia and then became a Baptist missionary to India, East Bengal. There we a number of women missionaries there, and few men. She wrote a number of times asking for men to be sent for as women they could not go into the Bazaar and speak to men. There was an English missionary in Calcutta who came and baptized their converts.

I think someone said "Women should not do soul winning" Surely we are all required to share our faith?

But how far should female missionaries go?

• Members

OK.

What about women missionaries? Are they preaching when they evangelzie? And should they? My great great aunt emigrated to Australia and then became a Baptist missionary to India, East Bengal. There we a number of women missionaries there, and few men. She wrote a number of times asking for men to be sent for as women they could not go into the Bazaar and speak to men. There was an English missionary in Calcutta who came and baptized their converts.

I think someone said "Women should not do soul winning" Surely we are all required to share our faith?

But how far should female missionaries go?

Invicta, I too have a cousin who is/was a missionary too Malaysia. She is "Dutch Reformed", I believe, but look at Bible examples. I do not have all the answers, but we both know who does! The only time, as I recall, that Jesus sent a women on a "mission trip" of sorts, was the woman at the well (John 4), when she "left her waterpot" and went into the city to tell others. It is not clear if she was "sent" by Christ, but she did go. Any other time, the Lord always deals with the man as the authority.

• Members

perhaps this will help. I wrote it in devotional form, as I do most things I write, but it applies best here, I believe.

Usurping Authority

“And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.” (Genesis 3:6)

I have heard several theories on why the woman was in transgression, (1 Tim. 2:14) when Adam, apparently took willingly of the forbidden fruit, but I feel that none of them give the text due credit. My belief is that women were made to be followers, and not leaders. I think that is why Satan tempted the woman instead of the man, who was not himself above temptation. In this account, the woman had the desire to be wise, which implies leadership, and my theory is supported further by the curse that man shall have rule over her. (v. 16) Apparently Adam listened to his wife, and he also did eat (v.6); she seemed to be the dominant one. I believe that the Lord was teaching them that they had their roles reversed, and that Adam was to be the leader, and Eve the follower and supporter. We cannot say what would have happened had Satan tempted Adam first, but we do know that he was a subtle creature, and very cunning in his wiles and ways; he knew what he was doing.
Today we have many women in leadership roles, and though they may do a good jOB, they were not meant to be there! The question is not how well they perform, but to whom they are loyal and submissive; it is not a question of status, but of OBedience to the Lord. Some will no doubt remind me of Deborah, who was used of the Lord, but so was a dumb animal when Balaam went to betray the Lord in the matter of Balak! (Num. 22:21-30): The Lord can do what He wishes because our reasons are not his, and his are not ours. Please forgive my sarcasm, but the point is made, God can make exception to any rule as he sees fit, and we are not to question his motives. One example out of all the Bible does not set the precedent for the interpretation of others; nowhere else do we see a women in a rulership role, and under God’s blessing. Even the queen of Sheba was awed by the way the Lord used Solomon, and she was respectively submissive to his rule. Until we get back to the roles that God intended for us, we will not be under the umbrella of his blessing, and subject to his will in the matter of service and submission. A woman’s main OBjective ought to be to be submissive to her man; she need not be wiser than him; she need not be stronger than him; she merely needs to be submissive to him, and God will bless her for it. That, by the way, is the very best place a woman can be.

• Members

Feminism has crept into the church and has brought much chaos to the situation. It's common for women "preachers", teachers, lay leaders and Christian women in general to speak in feminist, worldly terms while trying to cover it with a varnish of Christianity.

One of the favorite themes of feminists is to speak of the strength of women; to lift up, build up and promote the idea of the "strong woman". Naturally, masculine terms are used in this as what the feminists are promoting is that women are as strong, or stronger, than men in virtually all areas. Women don't need men, women can handle everything themselves, women can and should do anything a man can, etc.

Today this same concept is promoted by Christian women. Often they will speak or write of being a "strong woman". Often they will say that Christian women were not meant to be doormats (which is true) but then they carry on to the extreme telling of all the manly things women can do. No consulation with Scripture regarding whether women should do something just because they can or not. Does Scripture proclaim women should act masculine? Should women act masculine to prove they are not doormats? A man can act feminine but should he? Does the Bible advocate or condone such?

This feminism has not only plagued our women but a good many of our men as well; including pastors. Sure, many women have pushed to have leadership roles in church but it was the men, including pastors, who allowed them such. Often is used the excuse that there are not enough men to fill all the positions. Then why don't the women use their influence to get their husbands, fathers, brothers, sons, to step up rather than proclaiming they will do it themselves? Why have pastors not encouraged the women to influence their men to step forward? Why have pastors given in and took the easy way out?

In many churches across the land today if a pastor proclaimed he were removing all women from leadership roles there would be church splits abounding.

Even where Christian women are more likely to follow the biblical model we see the disturbing trend of women speaking to men in ways they shouldn't, speaking to pastors in ways they shouldn't (this occurs both in face-to-face conversation as well as via internet, phone, texting). This is a slippery slope. If these women openly speak in unpolite, rude, crude, sarcastic, scolding, demeaning, belittling, arrogant, strong ways today, how long before this translates from words to actions? What about the example they are setting for the younger generations and others? And this is happening among IFBs.

• Members

perhaps this will help. I wrote it in devotional form, as I do most things I write, but it applies best here, I believe.

Usurping Authority

“And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.” (Genesis 3:6)

I have heard several theories on why the woman was in transgression, (1 Tim. 2:14) when Adam, apparently took willingly of the forbidden fruit, but I feel that none of them give the text due credit. My belief is that women were made to be followers, and not leaders. I think that is why Satan tempted the woman instead of the man, who was not himself above temptation. In this account, the woman had the desire to be wise, which implies leadership, and my theory is supported further by the curse that man shall have rule over her. (v. 16) Apparently Adam listened to his wife, and he also did eat (v.6); she seemed to be the dominant one. I believe that the Lord was teaching them that they had their roles reversed, and that Adam was to be the leader, and Eve the follower and supporter. We cannot say what would have happened had Satan tempted Adam first, but we do know that he was a subtle creature, and very cunning in his wiles and ways; he knew what he was doing.
Today we have many women in leadership roles, and though they may do a good jOB, they were not meant to be there! The question is not how well they perform, but to whom they are loyal and submissive; it is not a question of status, but of OBedience to the Lord. Some will no doubt remind me of Deborah, who was used of the Lord, but so was a dumb animal when Balaam went to betray the Lord in the matter of Balak! (Num. 22:21-30): The Lord can do what He wishes because our reasons are not his, and his are not ours. Please forgive my sarcasm, but the point is made, God can make exception to any rule as he sees fit, and we are not to question his motives. One example out of all the Bible does not set the precedent for the interpretation of others; nowhere else do we see a women in a rulership role, and under God’s blessing. Even the queen of Sheba was awed by the way the Lord used Solomon, and she was respectively submissive to his rule. Until we get back to the roles that God intended for us, we will not be under the umbrella of his blessing, and subject to his will in the matter of service and submission. A woman’s main OBjective ought to be to be submissive to her man; she need not be wiser than him; she need not be stronger than him; she merely needs to be submissive to him, and God will bless her for it. That, by the way, is the very best place a woman can be.

I've been told that many of the false teachings, churches, that a woman was behind it, those who said this, stated its easier to deceive a woman with false doctrine than a man, for they go by emotion, not Bible truths.

Notice, I said I've been told, this is not my statement, but I do believe the woman is easier to deceive for her emotion has so much affect on her more so that emotions affect most men. The Bible seems to back this up.

1Ti 2:14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.