• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Unscriptural music

trc123

• Members

Wow. That is some real talent!!!!

I love acoustic guitars. I think the video is very cool and he is extremely talented. Although I did detect a bit of "rock" chords and beat in the song that is not in the original fiddle song, played by fiddles. Which I don't really agree with.

I'm not labelling the song "good" or "bad" simply pointing out what I heard.

• Members

Thank you for your feed back. I love acoustic guitar and do appreciate the person's talent. I found the particular piece to be a bit "bluegrassy," which I love that style of music...especially the Gospel bluegrass music. I listen to Landmark Baptist Church out of Haines City Florida over the internet and they play a lot of bluegrass Gospel music. My parents live in that area and my dad listens to them over the radio. They've been a wonderful source of getting the Gospel out to my dad via bluegrass music. He even then listens to Lester Roloff preach and gets a kick out of his "old timie" singing.

[quote="trc123"]They've been a wonderful source of getting the Gospel out to my dad via bluegrass music. He even then listens to Lester Roloff preach and gets a kick out of his "old timie" singing.[/quote]

Lester Roloff was an awesome preacher! I love listening to his tapes and reading his books. :-)

Also, if your dad loves bluegrass music...you might want to do a search on the Gospel/bluegrass band, "Witness." Your dad might like them. Just a thought.

• Moderators

[quote="matie-k"]I got a guitar for Christmas! :clap: :clap: :clap: It's a classical though just because apparently that's easier to start out on.[/quote]

hahahahahahahahahahaha.

oops, sorry - I just happen to know what you don't know.

Your bass strings are still wound, the nylon strings take a little longer to settle (quit stretching and needing retuned), the fingerboard is wider (slightly harder for a ladies finger to stretch across unless you are already a pianist or similar musician), classical styling is more difficult to learn to play.

However, don't despair --- your time will be WELL worth it.
I just couldn't help being amused @ the assesment.

Like anything else - stay w/ it and enjoy.

• Members

The nylon strings on a classical are easier on your fingers than the metal ones.

I have a regular acoustic....we bought a new one and then I have not had time to practice on it. Wahhhh! I actually signed up for guitar lessons from a really GOOD classical/jazz guitarist who hardly has any spaces available...and then I am not sure what happened, but something did to where we either were short time or money (or both haha) and I had to retract that.

I've taught myself basic chords and stuff and I got that eMedia Guitar method too....now just need the time to really practice every day. And the memory to tell myself to do it. haha.

[quote="Kitagrl"]
I have a regular acoustic....we bought a new one and then I have not had time to practice on it. Wahhhh![/quote]

Sorry, to intervene. I found this so funny! :lol :lol: Why not? :lol:

[quote="Kitagrl"]I've taught myself basic chords and stuff and I got that eMedia Guitar method too....now just need the time to really practice every day. And the memory to tell myself to do it. haha.[/quote]

Also, anyone can teach themselves how to play any instrument. It really isn't that hard, except the "practice" part would be challenging, IMO...with your situation, Kita. Maybe, you can go to your church (where it is quiet) and get someone to watch the kiddos? Just my :2cents

• Members

[quote="OLD fashioned"][quote="matie-k"]I got a guitar for Christmas! :clap: :clap: :clap: It's a classical though just because apparently that's easier to start out on.[/quote]

hahahahahahahahahahaha.

oops, sorry - I just happen to know what you don't know.

Your bass strings are still wound, the nylon strings take a little longer to settle (quit stretching and needing retuned), the fingerboard is wider (slightly harder for a ladies finger to stretch across unless you are already a pianist or similar musician), classical styling is more difficult to learn to play.

However, don't despair --- your time will be WELL worth it.
I just couldn't help being amused @ the assesment.

Like anything else - stay w/ it and enjoy.[/quote]

I realize the bass strings are wound....and I am a pianist and have long fingers...and I don't plan to learn classical styling although it is a classical guitar. :frog :lol I'm not totally new to fiddling around on a guitar - it's just been a while. I guess I spoke wrong in my first post.

• Members

Katie you are right, you'll be able to practice longer on the nylon strings than on the metal ones. Of course once you build your callouses up, it is easier either way.

I always got so mad at myself, I'd build up nice callouses and then end up putting the guitar away for too long and I'd lose them again!