• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can one lose one's salvation?

• Members

Jhn 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

My question is:

If one has everlasting life, can we then lose and it becomes not everlasting?

• Members

No. It wouldn't be everlasting if it could be lost.

Jesus said none could remove us from His Father's hand. Paul says nothing can separate us from God. We are told we can be sure of our salvation. How could we be sure of our salvation if we could do something to lose it? If our salvation could be lost how would we know for certain at any given moment if we were saved or unsaved?

Everlasting means everlasting and we can trust this is true.

• Members

II Tim. 2:13, "If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself."

Rom. 8:17, "And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together."

Rom. 8:38-39, "For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
[39] Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Heb 13:5, "Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee."

John 10:28-29, "And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
[29] My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand."

I John 3:9, "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God."

I Cor. 1:8, "Who shall also confirm you unto the end, that ye may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ."

Eph. 4:30, "And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption."

I Peter 1:5, "Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time."

• Members

Good verses, Rick.
Here's another

John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

On May the 13th, 1986 I heard Jesus' Word and believed on Him. The verse says......
#1. I HAVE everlasting life, present tense
#2. I SHALL NOT come into condemnation
#3 I passed from death unto life.

And how certain is all that?
"Verily, verily"

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

You quote verses but don't answer the question

So in case I didn't put it clearly enough (I usually don't)
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

If everlasting life begins when we believe, how can we lose it if it is everlasting?

• Members

You quote verses but don't answer the question

So in case I didn't put it clearly enough (I usually don't)
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

If everlasting life begins when we believe, how can we lose it if it is everlasting?

Invicta, We can't lose it if it is everlasting, that was the point those verses were making. Please read my article on "Why I believe in eternal security" on the home page. Hopefully that will provide a sufficient answer to your dilemma. That article looks at it from several different views.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Matt 7:21-23

21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity

• Members

They were never saved as Christ never knew them.

True, but they thought they were saved (right with God and heavenbound).

Once saved, always saved, the Bible seems perfectly clear on this to me. The Bible seems equally clear that some will think they are saved when they aren't.

• Members

True, but they thought they were saved (right with God and heavenbound).

Once saved, always saved, the Bible seems perfectly clear on this to me. The Bible seems equally clear that some will think they are saved when they aren't.

Yes, but the only reason those in Matt 7:21-23 thought they were saved was because they were trusting in the wrong thing. In their minds it was all about what they had done for God rather than the other way around. Not one of them said "Lord didn't I trust in your shed blood and finished work and ask you to save me?" Edited by Revelation3:20

• Members

Yes, but the only reason those in Matt 7:21-23 thought they were saved was because they were trusting in the wrong thing. In their minds it was all about what they had done for God rather than the other way around. Not one of them said "Lord didn't I trust in your shed blood and finished work and ask you to save me?"

I agree. Someone questioned whether there would be those who thought they were saved but will find out otherwise.