• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Curious

• Members

I was reading in Acts and it seems like rather than having a service where one person preached (I realize at times they did do this) many of the "services" were actually alot of different men getting up and testifying about something they learned from God, or whatever. I saw that this was the context of the "tongues" chapter, and women keeping silence...because instead of one preacher preaching, many men were getting up and taking turns speaking...which is why God had to specify not to just get up and speak in an unknown tongue, and that women were not to stand up and testify or anything like that, but talk to their husbands at home.

Did I interpret this correctly...?

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I recall when I was yet a small boy it seems I remember that in church services sometime there would be one, two, or more stand up and give a testimony of sorts before preaching services. I have not seen this happen in recent years.

Lu 4:16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

And we have here where Jesus, and it was His custom, went to the synagogue on the Sabbath and stood up and read from the holy Scriptures.

On the day of Pentecost, it seem that Peter did the preaching.

Ac 20:7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

And of course it seems only Paul did the preaching here, and even to midnight. Can you imagine a preacher now days preaching that long? Would most everyone get up and walk out way before midnight?

I don't see that there is a custom set that more than one preached the Word in normal church services.

• Members

I recall when I was yet a small boy it seems I remember that in church services sometime there would be one, two, or more stand up and give a testimony of sorts before preaching services. I have not seen this happen in recent years.

Lu 4:16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

And we have here where Jesus, and it was His custom, went to the synagogue on the Sabbath and stood up and read from the holy Scriptures.

On the day of Pentecost, it seem that Peter did the preaching.

Ac 20:7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

And of course it seems only Paul did the preaching here, and even to midnight. Can you imagine a preacher now days preaching that long? Would most everyone get up and walk out way before midnight?

I don't see that there is a custom set that more than one preached the Word in normal church services.

It's been years ago, but I have been to a couple of churches where there was a testimony time prior to the preaching.

I agree, there is no precedent set for more than one preacher. The examples seem to be of the very early church when things were first taking off and was prOBably akin to the testimony time idea.

• Members

We have testimonies given almost every week from our church members. About three weeks ago we had a Sunday morning service where it was nothing but one testimony right after another. All got started because one man stood up and asked the church to pray for him because his prayer life was not where it should be.

I agree though that you do not see people giving testimonies in my churches. Before I and my family started going to this church I don't think I had ever seen someone stand up and give a testimony of any kind.

• Members

"I recall when I was yet a small boy it seems I remember that in church services sometime there would be one, two, or more stand up and give a testimony of sorts before preaching services. I have not seen this happen in recent years."

Same here. The prOBlem I've seen today is that the testimonies; like singing, is begining to take over the entire service. A testimony should be 'Christ centered' and not 'Me centered'. My personal opinion is that NOTHING should be placed ahead of preaching the Word.

• Members

Where I've seen testimony time in churches in the past they were limited to no more than three sharing a brief testimony.

The only exception, and I had forgotten about this until just now, was when I visited some black churches in and around Chicago years ago. A few of them had testimonies and they dominated much of the service and while the words seemed directed to the Lord, the atmosphere and mannerisms of the people were clearly self-centered.

Biblical preaching shold be the center, the bedrock foundation of a service.

• Administrators

We have testimony services twice a year. On Thanksgiving morning, we have a church breakfast (prepared by the men :icon_mrgreen: ) and then a time of testimony. It is really wonderful. Men, ladies and children all give testimony as God leads. The other time is our New Year's Eve service. The last Sunday evening of the year, we have two college seniors preach. In between their messages, we have a meal of sandwiches and then a time of testimonies. Again, wonderful time.

Just recently, we had a service where people gave testimony as to how the church has impacted their lives (it's our 40th year). It wasn't a time of lifting up the church, but a time of lifting up God and His miracle working power through the years our church has been here. Again, a wonderful time.

I've been in churches where they have a time of testimony for 15 minutes, or limited to 2-3 people each Sunday morning. I do love to hear how God has worked in people's lives.

As to the OP, I don't believe, as has been mentioned, that a precedent was set in scripture that many men would get up and preach. There are churches that do this, and I think it tends toward confusion. I've been in a few...The command for women to be silent in the church and learn at home from their husbands is not a ban on giving testimony - after all, saved women are just as much chidren of God as saved men are. And the Bible does say "let the redeemed of the LORD say so." Not just the redeemed men. :icon_mrgreen:

The passage in 1 Corinthians is speaking to the structure of the church. At the time, services were chaotic with people just speaking out whenever and whatever they wanted. And this included women taking the lead in areas like prophesying and speaking in tongues. Hence, the instruction needed to bring order out of chaos and calm things down. A woman giving testimony is not taking the lead in the service. Usually the pastor is the one "moderating" testimonies.

• Members

I've been told, so part of this information is 2nd hand information.

Not long back a man who has not been to church in years is standing behind the pulpit of a local Baptist Church on a Sunday morning giving a testimony, laying it on very thick of what God, Jesus, and church means to him now, and the life he is going to dedicate to Jesus, yet, 2nd hand information tells me he has not been back to church since that morning.

Their service is delayed broadcast on local TV and I saw and heard it, that is why I said, "He laid it on think of what God, Jesus, and church means to him.

I once preached a sermon called 'My Testimony,' in my introduction I laid it out clear, what I say I have done, what I say I am living, and what I will live in the future, means nothing if it does no match up to what I've lived and will live in the future.

Speaking ones testimony is great, that is if your living it and will live it in the future, yet if you do not live it. its a very useful tool for old Satan.

So sad, many seem to think if they will speak it and speak it well convincing everyone they believe every word they say, the life they live matters not the least bit.