• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Eph 4: 7-12

• Members

Need help in understanding Eph 4: 7-12; the part which states "And he gave some, apostles;" etc

I believe that the apostles, prophets, etc were the gifts that God gave to the men. I'm having a discussion with another individual who believes that the apostles, prophets, etc are the receivers of the gifts. Any references will be helpful. This is my First post; so you may have to help me along. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Need help in understanding Eph 4: 7-12; the part which states "And he gave some, apostles;" etc

I believe that the apostles, prophets, etc were the gifts that God gave to the men. I'm having a discussion with another individual who believes that the apostles, prophets, etc are the receivers of the gifts. Any references will be helpful. This is my First post; so you may have to help me along. Thanks

It's both.

• Members

It's both.

View PostBro K, on 09 June 2010 - 03:39 PM, said:

It's both.

Let me reword it: I believe that the apostles, prophets,etc, themselves were the gifts that God gave to the men. I'm having a discussion with another individual who believes that gifts were given unto the apostles, prophets, etc to help them in their duties.

• Members

View PostBro K, on 09 June 2010 - 03:39 PM, said:

It's both.

Let me reword it: I believe that the apostles, prophets,etc, themselves were the gifts that God gave to the men. I'm having a discussion with another individual who believes that gifts were given unto the apostles, prophets, etc to help them in their duties.

Yes, it's both. The apostles and prophets were gifts to the church while spiritual gifts were given to the apostles and prophets to fulfill their callings. The calling itself is a gift of God.

• Members

Perhaps it would be helpful to look at the other references to "gifts" in Romans 12 and I Cor. 12. (ministry being one of those gifts in Romans 12, as well as "teaching") these make it clear that the gifts were given to the church for the edification and service of the children of God, all inclusive.

"But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal." 1 Cor. 12:7

Eph 4:7 But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.

though this is speaking of grace, gifts are also part of the grace of God, given to unworthy men.