• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand

• Members

Matthew 3:1,2
1 In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea,
2 And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Matthew 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

How many of us professing Christians life could be examined by a unbeliever, with the unbeliever coming to the concussion that we expected Christ's return to me imminent, in our life time? That is the message Jesus & both John the Baptist came proclaiming. Be honest with your self, do you live as it you truly believe the kingdom of Heaven is as hand?

That is, is your live a living testimony that you truly believe the message both Jesus & John proclaimed?

• Members

I'm not sure if unbelievers can tell what I believe about Christ's return; likely most have litte understanding of such things and don't think along those lines.

I live my life so those who look can see my life is different from the worlds and it's no secret I'm a Christian.

• Members

My thought was, we are to live and reflect our beliefs in our God and Savior. If an examations was made of our life by and investigator, would he come to the conclusion that we are living for the world, or actually living as if Jesus might come for us tomorrow.

Surely if we are living as if Jesus is coming for us tomorrow, we would be living like this, wouldn't we?

30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?
31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matt 6:30-34 (KJV)

It seems many in the early church believe this so much that they gave all to be parted to all men as every man had need.

45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.
Acts 2:45 (KJV)

Do Christians do that today, or do they store them up for their tomorrows becasue they do not have the faith that Jesus is coming back soon and they will need it for self.

• Members

Yes, if investigated it would be clear I'm living for Christ with eternity in mind rather than this world.

I've given up many things I used to do, things I used to save or collect, as I see they would have no eternal value. Monies that would have been wasted on such are now available for spreading the Gospel and helping those in need. I'm laying up no treasure for myself in this life. My extended family, who are yet lost, view my life as strange and think I'm wasting my money because I'm not gathering things to myself but giving to others.

When the Lord calls me home I won't have much to leave my children, but I pray they may all be in the Lord by then and what I do have to leave them will be a small library of fine Christian books and my Bibles.

• Members

That's odd me and the missus were discussing this today. To be fair she has also been reading an auto biography of George Mueller.

I stated that I believed we already live a pretty "Spartan" lifestyle. I still maintain my hunting/fishing stuff and my library and Bibles. But, other than that there ain't much too it.

I am not so sure that un believers would or wouldn't. I do have a 401K. But, we try to give above and beyond the gross. We help others when the opportunity presents itself.

But, living by faith? I am not sure, I'd like to say by instinct "yes, sure". But, I am not sure my decisions necessarily reflect that response sometimes although.

Wow, what a question......

R/S

Br MMD

Gal. 2.20

• Members

I try to live life in light of Christ's immentant return. It's tough sometimes to make it an ever present thought on my mind while being a father of three and working two jOBs out of necessity.

I have a good testimony, my wife and I are good parents, we're active soul winners, and I'm in charge of our church's rescue mission ministry. We do a few other things, so we're pretty active for the Lord as much as we can be.

I think living life in light of Christ's return involves two basic principles:

1) Live life in anticipation and eagerness of His return.
2) Live life in light of the judgement seat of Christ.

If the fig tree in Matthew 24 is Israel in 1948, and a generation is no more than 100 years, then we've got 'till 2048 at the latest.

• Members

As for me, I'm not going to say I have a good testimony, if God were to examine my testimony comparing it to Jesus', there is no way He could say "Well done."

And I don't feel that someone who examined my life would say that I'm trusting God fully for tomorrow, nor that I'm living my life as I really believe Jesus will return for His own at any moment.

Oh how we need to be more like the publican and say, "O Lord forgive me, I such a wicked sinner and fall short of your glory every moment of my life."

• Members

I try to live life in light of Christ's immentant return. It's tough sometimes to make it an ever present thought on my mind while being a father of three and working two jOBs out of necessity.

I have a good testimony, my wife and I are good parents, we're active soul winners, and I'm in charge of our church's rescue mission ministry. We do a few other things, so we're pretty active for the Lord as much as we can be.

I think living life in light of Christ's return involves two basic principles:

1) Live life in anticipation and eagerness of His return.
2) Live life in light of the judgement seat of Christ.

If the fig tree in Matthew 24 is Israel in 1948, and a generation is no more than 100 years, then we've got 'till 2048 at the latest.

Until rather recent times a biblical generation was always seen as and taught as being 40 years. It wasn't until 1988 came and went without Christ's return that all those pastors, teachers, writers and others who had been proclaiming that Christ had to return by 1988 because of Israel's return in 1948 that many felt the need to cover their error.

The first attempt to cover their error was to proclaim that the generation from Matthew 24 didn't begin in 1948 but rather in 1967 when Israel captured Jerusalem. Then after 2007 came and went without the return of Christ all these folks were without a means of trying to make the biblical 40 years generation fit with this. Thus they began changing how long a generation is, even though the biblical definition hadn't (can't) change. Some settled on 60, some on 80 and others on 100 years.

Never mind the fact Scripture says we can't know when Christ will come back, what about the idea that we might need to consider that verse in Matthew 24 isn't referring to what we thought.

• Members

Mt 24:44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.
Lu 12:40 Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not.

Yes, some just can't stand it, that Jesus will come at a time ye think not!