• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

That old black Book

• Members

Exactly, they've tried that several times, them the final product left a lot to be desires, for they changed the meaning of many things within the pages of the bible to further support their own agenda.

My humble opinion only, most of those who come along and want to come up with a new version do so for 2 main reason, dollar marks in their eyes and or to make changes to support their beliefs.

I would honestly like to know, not intending to start a fight or anything, where a doctrine is changed when going from the KJV to a mainstream MV. Are there any examples you could give?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I would honestly like to know, not intending to start a fight or anything, where a doctrine is changed when going from the KJV to a mainstream MV. Are there any examples you could give?

Sure... take out Acts 8:37 as the NIV does and you have baptism without salvation first.

Not only that.... if God came to my house and gave a word for word message to the readers of Online Baptist, then I sat down and posted it with this note attaced: "Here's God's message directly to you at OB.... oh, by the way... I left out some words and sentences and changed some others so that in, my opinion, you can understand his message better." Well.... would that be accpectable?

• Members

All one has to do is take a close look at what the liberal church who are using the MV's are teaching, along with looking at how they are following Jesus.

But what about the churches that use the KJV--like the Seventh Day Adventists, Mormons and Pentacostals?

Sure... take out Acts 8:37 as the NIV does and you have baptism without salvation first.

A doctrine cannot be built around one single verse. When looking at the whole counsel of the Word of God, the NIV teaches that salvation is by grace through faith. :)

(I hope it is okay to post these for illustrative purposes. If not, I sincerely apologize!)

Eph 2:8, 9: For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast.

Also, with v 37 taken out (still being included in the footnotes), we still see Phillip has shared the Gospel with the eunuch and can ascertain that he believed on Christ before being baptized once we look at all of what the Bible says. After all, looking at Acts 16, we see faith preceeded baptism.

Ac 16:31-34: They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household." Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all the others in his house. At that hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds; then immediately he and all his family were baptized. The jailer brought them into his house and set a meal before them; he was filled with joy because he had come to believe in God—he and his whole family.

We have a few good reads in the article section.
http://www.onlinebaptist.com/home/page/articles?category=1

Thank you for the link! I will try to find some time to read it.

And thanks all of you for your responses so far! It's great to get into the Word and discuss our beliefs, all in a civilized, Christ-like way. :) Edited by Live4Him

• Members

But what about the churches that use the KJV--like the Seventh Day Adventists, Mormons and Pentacostals?

A doctrine cannot be built around one single verse. When looking at the whole counsel of the Word of God, the NIV teaches that salvation is by grace through faith. :)

(I hope it is okay to post these for illustrative purposes. If not, I sincerely apologize!)

Eph 2:8, 9: For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast.

Also, with v 37 taken out (still being included in the footnotes), we still see Phillip has shared the Gospel with the eunuch and can ascertain that he believed on Christ before being baptized once we look at all of what the Bible says. After all, looking at Acts 16, we see faith preceeded baptism.

Ac 16:31-34: They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household." Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all the others in his house. At that hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds; then immediately he and all his family were baptized. The jailer brought them into his house and set a meal before them; he was filled with joy because he had come to believe in God—he and his whole family.

Thank you for the link! I will try to find some time to read it.

And thanks all of you for your responses so far! It's great to get into the Word and discuss our beliefs, all in a civilized, Christ-like way. :)

It doesn't bother you that verse is removed? A tract can also contain the doctrine of salvation and grace through faith. So do you maintain that a tract is just as "good" as the Bible, since it does not remove the doctrine?

• Members

It doesn't bother you that verse is removed? A tract can also contain the doctrine of salvation and grace through faith. So do you maintain that a tract is just as "good" as the Bible, since it does not remove the doctrine?

A tract can be just as good when sharing the Gospel with someone, but it isn't the whole Bible and doesn't claim to be.

• Members

A tract can be just as good when sharing the Gospel with someone, but it isn't the whole Bible and doesn't claim to be.

Ahhhh... exactly my point! How much of your Bible do you remove before it's not The Word of God? I say "One Word." Remove on word and you have corrupted the Word of God!

• Members

Ahhhh... exactly my point! How much of your Bible do you remove before it's not The Word of God? I say "One Word." Remove on word and you have corrupted the Word of God!

So true, but those who think they have to go to all the different versions and pick out what they deem, decide, to be God's Word does not feel that way.

• Members

Have you ever heard of textual criticism?

Back to my original question, which doctrines do the MVs change?

• Members

If you do not consider removing Scripture "change", then you are right, this conversation will be fruitless.

Fallacious arguementation.

I think they were searching for what specific doctrines are changed in MVs.

This is true. But I don't think there's any point in discussing it.