• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Primary meaning of "to be conformed to the image of his Son"

• Members

This verse was mentioned (not by me) a few times in the thread on predestination, and it seemed to me that most of the time, people were talking about ultimately being conformed to His image in the resurrection. That got me thinking a little, because I know it's talking about both, but primarily, I think it's talking about the process of sanctification, while we are still here on Earth. That we who are saved are slowly becoming more and more like Jesus in character. What do you guys think?

• Members

anime... I think you're right! What good is Scripture if it is not practical for us today? Too many times we heap knowledge upon knowledge, and none of it is of any practical value to us, except "bragging rights". It becomes a trophy that we put on a shelf, to show off to others, and to hono0r our accomplishments. If we spend our time studying the future events, especially when we will not be here for them, we miss out on a lot of good, practical "daily living" exercise, which is what we need most.

• Members

Absolutely we are to be conforming to His image here and now. Scripture tells us time and again we are to be holy for He is holy. How can we be holy, or even work towards that goal without conforming to Christlikeness? We are ever to be becoming more like Christ and less like our old sinful selves.

Too often we reach a place in our Christian walk where we become content. Either we think to ourselves that "we've arrived", basically, we are as good as it gets; or we simply become satisfied with how far we've come and either decide we can't go any further or we begin excusing the remaining sins in our life.

In the Christian life there are two gears, forward and backward. There is no neutral. There is no point where we are to stop pursuing holiness; Christlikeness. If we decide to coast, rest assured we will in reality be going backward.

How sad to see Christians who began with a fervent heart to grow in Christ but for some reason along the way they lost their zeal and determined that several of their sins were "just the way I am" and gave up the fight to subject them to the Lordship of Christ in their lives.

As for myself, I KNOW I'm not as holy as I can be in Christ. I'm not content to see no further growth in Christ in my life. I'm not willing to give up the fight and allow my flesh to reign rather than Christ.

Sure it's a fight, which is why Paul stated he had fought the good fight. It's also a long distance race rather than a quick sprint to perfection. While it's true we will never achieve perfect holiness, perfect Christlikeness in this life, Scripture calls us to pursue that goal with all we are. As Scripture tells us we are to love God with all our heart, soul, strength and mind.

I pray I will pursue holiness as long as I live and never stop fighting to subject my flesh to Christ.

• Members

:amen: John

Predestination refers to a group...
For instance, Uncle Sam has it all planned, organized and setup.....and all recruits are "predestined" to become soldiers. As soon as you join the army, before you even make it to bootcamp, your destiny is to become a soldier. But you cannot be made into a soldier, until you join the army.

The man who "had his father's wife", in 1 Corinthians 5, would have been turned over to Satan to be destroyed and his spirit would have been saved. And though, OBviously, never having been conformed during his lifetime, that man, the minute he was saved, was predestined to be conformed to the image of Christ one way or the other; he could walk after the Spirit and go through the sanctification process here or be turned over to be killed by Satan. He would be changed at the resurrection. But he would then be ashamed at the Bema Seat, and he would have no rewards...... Edited by heartstrings

• Members

The man who "had his father's wife", in 1 Corinthians 5, would have been turned over to Satan to be destroyed and his spirit would have been saved. And though, OBviously, never having been conformed during his lifetime, that man, the minute he was saved, was predestined to be conformed to the image of Christ one way or the other; he could walk after the Spirit and go through the sanctification process here or be turned over to be killed by Satan. He would be changed at the resurrection. But he would then be ashamed at the Bema Seat, and he would have no rewards......

OK, I agree with part of that, but can we keep predestination in the other topic please? You bring up a good point though, and that is why I said that I believe it refers to both, but primarily to sanctification.

• Members

Predestination refers to a group...
For instance, Uncle Sam has it all planned, organized and setup.....and all recruits are "predestined" to become soldiers. As soon as you join the army, before you even make it to bootcamp, your destiny is to become a soldier. But you cannot be made into a soldier, until you join the army.

The man who "had his father's wife", in 1 Corinthians 5, would have been turned over to Satan to be destroyed and his spirit would have been saved. And though, OBviously, never having been conformed during his lifetime, that man, the minute he was saved, was predestined to be conformed to the image of Christ one way or the other; he could walk after the Spirit and go through the sanctification process here or be turned over to be killed by Satan. He would be changed at the resurrection. But he would then be ashamed at the Bema Seat, and he would have no rewards......

Yes, many will be ashamed come that day.

1Jo 2:28 And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming.

1Co 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Many will be saved as by fire, and have no rewards at all. Edited by Jerry80871852

• Members

OK, I agree with part of that, but can we keep predestination in the other topic please? You bring up a good point though, and that is why I said that I believe it refers to both, but primarily to sanctification.

Predestination is part of the explanation of being conformed in the passage and is necessary or the word of God would not have included it..
And what part don't you agree with?

• Members

Predestination is part of the explanation of being conformed in the passage and is necessary or the word of God would not have included it..
And what part don't you agree with?

Besides differing views on predestination, the first steps of faith and repentance already including some conforming, IMHO. Would you agree?

• Members

Besides differing views on predestination, the first steps of faith and repentance already including some conforming, IMHO. Would you agree?

Predestined to become a "man"..."destination">>>>> manhood
Child is born and a conformation process begins...bottle feeding, crawling, walking, talking, 2 feet, 3 feet, 4 feet, 5 feet, puberty, 6'....manhood
At conception, a "destination" was set for "manhood", but the child was not fully conformed into a man until the process was completed. AND there was no "destination" set for manhood until conception happened. Does that make any sense?

God has "predestined", He has Set, fixed, established, that "them", "they" who get saved (born) will fully mature into "sons of God", in the image of Christ when the conforming process has been completed. By "predestination" it means that this is their absolute "destiny" because what God has "Predestinated" cannot be changed. This is a confirmation of eternal security too because also means that when a person is "born again" his absolute destiny has just become "conformity to the image of Christ" and because God himself has established that destiny, there can be no changing it. Does that make sense? Edited by heartstrings