• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Jealousy vs Envy

• Members

I hear frequently, even from the pulpit, "jealousy" being confused with "envy". Dictionaries get it wrong.

jeal·ous·y   /ˈdʒɛləsi/ Show Spelled[jel-uh-see] Show IPA
–noun, plural -ous·ies for 4.
1. jealous resentment against a rival, a person enjoying success or advantage, etc., or against another's success or advantage itself.

But that is the definition of "envy"; not jealousy.
I don't find where true jealousy, though "cruel as the grave", is ever spoken of as sin in the Word of God.
But I do find that "Envy" is always a wicked sin.
Jealousy seems to always refer to being hurt over something which is already rightfully yours,(such as your wife) Proverbs 6:34
while envy always involves desiring something which already belongs to someone else. Mark 15:10

Can you explain the difference? Use plenty of scripture please.

• Members

I hear frequently, even from the pulpit, "jealousy" being confused with "envy". Dictionaries get it wrong.

I don't find where true jealousy, though "cruel as the grave", is ever spoken of as sin in the Word of God.
Jealousy seems to always refer to being hurt over something which is already rightfully yours,(such as your wife) Proverbs 6:34
while envy always involves desiring something which already belongs to someone else. Mark 15:10

isn't covet the same as envy?

• Members

I have a "Concise King James Bible Dictionary" edited by David Cloud (I bought this from him) and I decided to see if it said anything (not really thinking it would).

Here's what it says:

Envy. To be jealous; to grudge.

Then it lists a lot of verses where this term can be found.

According to this definition, envy and jealousy mean basically the same thing. However, I've never considered the two to have the same meaning and am likely looking at it similar to how you are.

• Members

btw, I agree with you. I think jealousy get very posessive of something that's theirs. guys get jealous of other guys (or girls get jealous of other girls) over a girl though. They compare themselves how better they are with other guy if the girl like the other guy. So jealousy also compare something they have with something they don't have.

Edited by Psalms18_28

• Members

So, is the guy who is all upset because the girl he really likes is dating some other guy really jealous or is he envious...or perhaps both? I would say he's certainly covetous since he's wanting what's not his.

The way I see is, because the other guy got the girl, He can't understand why she even like him. He thinks he is so much better. What's his is his character. And he thinks the girl should like him because his character. So he is possessive of his character, and doesn't like it when the girl like the other guy's character

• Members

The Bible says that God is jealous, and that He can be provoked to jealousy; but it never once says that He is envious.
If we can look at 'jealousy', from the perspective of a married man, I believe it becomes clear. A married man has a God given RIGHT to his own wife. She already belongs to him. If someone committs adultery with your wife, or even flirts with her, you have the right to be jealous.

So, to be jealous, refers to something which is ALREADY yours. such as Israel belonging to God. Envy, however, involves something which is NOT yours.

• Moderators

As you stated, jealousy is never said (in Scripture) to be sin --- God said that He is jealous.

You can covet what another has (or something you don't have even if you don't know someone else with it).

You can envy someone by wishing you were in his shoes without actually desiring any one particular item he (or she) possesses ---- "it seems like everything goes right for them".

The same situation exists with the word 'pride', pride is always called sin in the Bible.

People speak of "the right kind of pride" but the Bible doesn't call that pride (folks just misuse our language, which is actually quite precise when properly utilized). You can glory in the cross, your kids, the church even as Paul had things he gloried in --- the common inappropriate moniker is "proud of". Edited by OLD fashioned

• Members

The Bible says that God is jealous, and that He can be provoked to jealousy; but it never once says that He is envious.
If we can look at 'jealousy', from the perspective of a married man, I believe it becomes clear. A married man has a God given RIGHT to his own wife. She already belongs to him. If someone committs adultery with your wife, or even flirts with her, you have the right to be jealous.

So, to be jealous, refers to something which is ALREADY yours. such as Israel belonging to God. Envy, however, involves something which is NOT yours.

I would be inclined to view it that way myself but I don't think that's how most of the world views this.

• Members

As you stated, jealousy is never said (in Scripture) to be sin --- God said that He is jealous.

You can covet what another has (or something you don't have even if you don't know someone else with it).

You can envy someone by wishing you were in his shoes without actually desiring any one particular item he (or she) possesses ---- "it seems like everything goes right for them".

The same situation exists with the word 'pride', pride is always called sin in the Bible.

People speak of "the right kind of pride" but the Bible doesn't call that pride (folks just misuse our language, which is actually quite precise when properly utilized). You can glory in the cross, your kids, the church even as Paul had things he gloried in --- the common inappropriate moniker is "proud of".

Good Post!