• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Volcanic ash grounds aircraft across Europe

• Members

LONDON - An enormous ash cloud from an Icelandic volcano caused the biggest flight disruption since 9/11 as it drifted over northern Europe and stranded travelers on six continents Thursday.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36543312/ns/travel-news

I've been reading about this. I see that it haven't got better yet. Hope it doesn't get too bad.

• Members

I've noticed the main factor being discussed in all this is regarding how much money is being lost.

I also noticed this morning that the Dutch have sent a plane up testing the skies and they say their test came back good and they want the skies opened again now.

• Members

European airlines send up test flights despite ash (AP)

AP - Several major airlines safely flew test flights without passengers over Europe on Sunday despite official warnings about the dangers of a volcanic ash plume, fueling a corporate push to end an economically devastating ban on commercial air traffic.

• Members

It's not all about money for everybody. Some missionary friends of ours were supposed to fly back to their field on Thursday, and then Sunday. Haven't been able to leave yet...

No doubt tens of thousands of travellers are caught between the arguments between the politicians and the airline businesses. I saw where the British nave was sending some ships to transport some folks back to England.

• Members

Airlines are losing out, losing millions. Passengers are unable to get away, or get back. One school group is stuck in china after a field trip studying volcanoes. Some travel insurance firms are refusing to pay out. Some passengers have paid thousands hiring cars or taxis to get to Calais. And of course the French are helping out by their train workers holding a strike. Not everyone is losing though. Eurostar trains are full and running extra services. Eurotunnel also. The ferry companies are happy, a month ago we took our car on a day return on the ferry, which would have allowed us to take up to nine passengers at a cost of £19. Passengers have been complaining that this week they have been charged £50 for single fare as a foot passenger. Today the Govt. has announced that safety rules have been relaxed to allow the ferries to carry 10% more passengers until the end of the week. The nay are sending three ships to help carry stranded passengers back from France. During the Falklands war they commandeered cruise ships. Why not now?

• Members

The volcano has affected our food supply.

I went into Tesco last night and noticed that there were certain gaps on the shelves of fresh produce which is flown in from abroad.

There were no green beans (Kenya) no stringless beans (Kenya) no Runner beans (Kenya) no mange tout (Zambia) no baby corn (Thailand) there was even some Asparagus from Ross on Wye, Herefordshire, which usually comes from Peru but no asparagus tips which usually come from Thailand.

I did find tomatoes from Spain and baby plum tomatoes from senegal, but they were reduced for quick sale as were oranges from -Spain.

I suppose they were trying to fly the stranded passengers home rather than our food.

• Members

No doubt tens of thousands of travellers are caught between the arguments between the politicians and the airline businesses. I saw where the British nave was sending some ships to transport some folks back to England.

Is that what you think of our PM, Gordon Brown :lol:

• Members

From a local Pastor, ROBin, visiting his wife's family in Kenya.

I am sending you this e-mail from Kenya as we unable to travel back to UK because of the ash and travel chaos. We had to pay three times more to Virgin just to assure our booking and still not sure when we are going to fly.
I was told that there is a pastors conference [in NairOBi] starting today Monday and Geoff Thomas [a well known Welsh Baptist Pastor, was booked] suppose to speak to more than 60 pastors. I met two of them who came from Northern Kenya, a very poor and needy part of Kenya. I thought that's great Geoff Thomas ministry would lift our spirits up but then I got to know that he can't travel to Kenya because of all that prOBlem. Keith has asked me to take few sessions which I agreed OBviously I cant replace Geoff Thomas. May the Lord be with you all and we would value your prayers for us.

Must be quite a shock to find you've become a conference speaker ...