• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How do explain homeschool to friends and family who don't understand?

• Members

I plan on homeschooling my child, but it's something I've never mentioned to anyone other than my mother and one of my brothers. Not that I'm ashamed or embarassed, but rather the subject never comes up. My sister (who is not saved) sends her two boys to public school, and my oldest brother (who is saved) has three children who are and will be going to public schools too. Anyway, once my son is old enough, I will begin homeschooling him (Lord willing!!), and I know the questions will start bombarding me from every corner. Not only from immediate family, but extended family too (my cousins, my aunts and uncles, etc.). No one in my family has ever homeschooled, so I guess I am a little nervous as to when the confrontation does arrive, since my son and I will OBviously stick out like a sore thumb.

I've never thought out what I would say exactly, but I suppose it would be along the lines of "Being Christian, I want to raise my son for the Lord, and to not put him in the path of the world and its sinful influences."

How does that sound? Too simple? Too "legalistic" sounding? :)

What do you tell others when you are asked?

• Administrators

Usually what I say is, "Have you seen the kids coming out of the public school?"

Of course, this does depend on how good or bad the schools in your area are. In my area many graduate high school and still can't read or do basic math.

Just tell the truth. Let them know that you prayed about it and feel that this is the way the Lord is directing you in raising your child. Let them know that homeschooling is not the right choice for every child, but you feel best that this is right for you.

• Members

I plan on homeschooling my child, but it's something I've never mentioned to anyone other than my mother and one of my brothers. Not that I'm ashamed or embarassed, but rather the subject never comes up. My sister (who is not saved) sends her two boys to public school, and my oldest brother (who is saved) has three children who are and will be going to public schools too. Anyway, once my son is old enough, I will begin homeschooling him (Lord willing!!), and I know the questions will start bombarding me from every corner. Not only from immediate family, but extended family too (my cousins, my aunts and uncles, etc.). No one in my family has ever homeschooled, so I guess I am a little nervous as to when the confrontation does arrive, since my son and I will OBviously stick out like a sore thumb.

I've never thought out what I would say exactly, but I suppose it would be along the lines of "Being Christian, I want to raise my son for the Lord, and to not put him in the path of the world and its sinful influences."

How does that sound? Too simple? Too "legalistic" sounding? :)

What do you tell others when you are asked?

Homeschooling is an alternative to traditional schooling.

• Members

Usually what I say is, "Have you seen the kids coming out of the public school?"

Of course, this does depend on how good or bad the schools in your area are. In my area many graduate high school and still can't read or do basic math.

Just tell the truth. Let them know that you prayed about it and feel that this is the way the Lord is directing you in raising your child. Let them know that homeschooling is not the right choice for every child, but you feel best that this is right for you.

Well, where I live the school system is pretty bad (my county is right next to the LAUSD). If my friends and family don't unsertand my spiritual reasons, they should understand this one! (in regards to our school district)

• Members

The sad thing is, even where there be real good public schools for learning, they are still a very bad influence for children from a Christians family. There is just to much ungodly stuff taught in all public schools, plus on top of that you've got the bad influence of lost teachers and lost children.

Leave me say this, I've had no experience with private Christian schools, but may I say this while we are on this topic. A high school football board I post on, its quite amazing at the hate that is given towards private Christian schools. Those who are lost cannot understand the Christians family sending their children to a Christian school, seems most of them feel that they think their children are to good to associate with theirs. Lost people just cannot discern Christians principles.

So if you have lost family members they will prOBably never understand why you choose to home school.

I graduate in 1965, many of my friends where Christians and grew up in church. Today few of them are in church. Personally I think its mostly because of public school, its influence, and what they were taught. I really think in our churches for many years we have been losing our children because of the influence of secular education in both schools and colleges.

Our children are priceless, and fragile in many ways, we need to protect them as much as we can, for as long as we can. If we do this I feel that we will lose fewer of them to the world.

Best wishes for you and your children, I hope and pray all will go well and you can do as your planning.

• Members

Hi, just thought I'd add something. I am in similar circumstances except I have none saved in my family. You can offer biblical reasons but I can pretty much guarantee they wont understand. I told my parents that this is something that I really want to give a try, I've been researching it for a year which I had been, and that at the end of the boys schooling, I didn't want to look back and wish I had of given homeschooling a try. We started this year, I think my parents are expecting me to give in, but we are loving it, and I have no regrets doing it. It is hard and has it's moments but over all it is the best decision we made.

Always keep in your mind why you have chosen this path and don't get into debates over it. Some will love the idea and others will hang around just to see if you can do it or not? Always remember that the decision is between you, your husband and the Lord.

I thought my parents reaction would be a lot more severe than what is was. You never know they might just suprise you. I waited until close to the time to tell them. They didn't have time to argue with me about it.

Hoped this helped some.

Blossom