• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Prayer for our churches

• Members

I'm posting this in this members only forum so it's not so public... I'm feeling a little "private."

My heart is extremely burdened for the churches of this country. I just received a letter from our missionaries to the Philippines (Ed and Joyce Butler) and a picture was enclosed. It shows the 10th Anniversary Service of the Bajada Bible Baptist Church in Davao City.

There was a total attendance of 293. The picture shows about 120 people.

What strikes me is this: As I look at the picture I see very well dressed people. Almost all ladies look like ladies. Men look like men, most have shirt and ties. The church is clean and neat and bright. More importantly... I see HAPPY PEOPLE!

It struck me that it looks like this church should be the "home" church.. the one supporting missions (And they do, there is a sign on the church wall that says "Help hold the ropes... support missions." But by that I mean.. it looks like THEY are the mature, well grounded Christians.

Compare this to the average IFB church in America. Small crowds, casual (if not shameful) dress, a lake of concern for the building, expressionless faces.....

I'm not sure what I'm feeling.... But as I sit and look at this picture I'm envious! (I pray it's a Godly envy and not sin!)

We need to pray for a spiritual revival in America. I'm praying that it starts with me and my church! Please pray for my ministry and this hurting church here in SW Colorado. We sorely need the touch of God!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yes, America is in the process of rejecting God, it was once the opposite. Many changes have took place in America, its leaders call it progress, that America is getting better.

No doubt, most Americans have it better than ever, but there is an amazing fast trend, of leaving God out.

• Members

It saddens me a little when people dress better for work than they do for church. "Well, I have to wear a tie all week; I don't want to wear one to church!" If we were invited to a dinner at the White House, we certainly wouldn't go in flip-flops and blue jeans with holes in them. We respect the president of the United States more than the Creator of the universe. Go figure ...

• Administrators

It saddens me a little when people dress better for work than they do for church. "Well, I have to wear a tie all week; I don't want to wear one to church!" If we were invited to a dinner at the White House, we certainly wouldn't go in flip-flops and blue jeans with holes in them. We respect the president of the United States more than the Creator of the universe. Go figure ...

You and I must think alike. I used the exact same illustration in my sermon yesterday.

• Members

Agreed! How do we hammer that into the heads of people? I know that is a foolish question and all of us would love to have an answer.

• Members

You and I must think alike. I used the exact same illustration in my sermon yesterday.

I was gonna say! Must be going around!

I agree though....people are just getting so "blah" about church anymore. Its like "Oh okay if I feel perfectly healthy and I'm not TOO tired and nothing else needs to be done, I'll go so I can say I went." I think church leaders are even becoming guilty of letting the attitude rub off on them. Its like nOBody understands why we are even here "doing this" ya know?

Sometimes I think all of us need to take time out and really think about what we are here doing, and WHY.

(Good msg btw! It was a pity I missed the morning services due to helping with the kids...)

• Members

Honestly a Hawaiian shirt is the least of the church's prOBlems....but I know what you mean.

The prOBlem goes deep and has been around for a long time...kind of like America's prOBlems really. Slow chips here and there until now there is a gaping hole in our country that is crumbling down.

The church has weakened slowly over time and now nOBody can even remember or understand why we are even here.

• Members

Well, you have preachers nowadays standing in the pulpit with Hawaiian shirts on ... whaddaya expect?

chev1958... You are correct! Preachers are not leading and setting the example.

BUT.... how do you explain these "sick" symptoms in churches where the paster is setting the example, preaching the truth, and doing God's will? I've seen (and been a) preacher who has knelt bended knee at the alter, praying and weeping for conviction and revival..... alas... the people come away saying... "the preacher must not feel well today."

• Members

Its so discouraging because everyone wants to have an "alive exciting active church" but nOBody wants to put forth the effort to actually show up...and showing up is what makes things "alive and active"!

I'm getting concerned about a ladies thing I'm planning...if I didn't do anything for Mother's Day, surely someone would complain that the pastors wife didn't plan anything. But now that we are having something..people are dragging their feet to sign up.

I know that in the long run, a mothers day tea doesn't matter and isn't really even the point of this thread...just using it to demonstrate the fact that there is just an apathy. Only a few of our members are truly sacrificing time and effort for our church. Most of them just show up...if and when they can. I think "going to church" is only the beginning of serving God...that passage where it says "I am an unprofitable servant...I have done that which was my duty to do" basically saying God doesn't owe us any thanks just because we go to church, read our Bible, and win souls.

Whats been frustrating to me too and for awhile is that even when we do DO those things...it seems like its so easy to go through the motions. I don't feel that people are often really living "for God" anymore these days, in general.

Sometimes I think we are worshipping ourselves..."Look at us, how good we are in church" and mistaking it for worshipping God.

• Members

-edit-
I'm getting concerned about a ladies thing I'm planning...if I didn't do anything for Mother's Day, surely someone would complain that the pastors wife didn't plan anything. But now that we are having something..people are dragging their feet to sign up.
-edit-

I'm laughing... I've GOT to show this to my wife. She's going thru the exact same thing! We usually end up having a good turnout but no one signs up... so you never know how many to plan for!

• Members

I'm laughing... I've GOT to show this to my wife. She's going thru the exact same thing! We usually end up having a good turnout but no one signs up... so you never know how many to plan for!

Yeah, people never know til the last minute do they? And duh, how are we sposed to plan? My hub did announce something like that, kinda got on the church people asking them to sign up and try to attend things that are planned for them. Its not like we plan stuff every week, we really do have a fairly low pressure church...so sometimes its like "We don't ask much, so could you please do what we DO ask????"

• Members

Yeah, people never know til the last minute do they? And duh, how are we sposed to plan? My hub did announce something like that, kinda got on the church people asking them to sign up and try to attend things that are planned for them. Its not like we plan stuff every week, we really do have a fairly low pressure church...so sometimes its like "We don't ask much, so could you please do what we DO ask????"

Amen and Amen! I am amazed that something can be announced from the pulpit for 5 weeks in a row and then someone will say "I didn't know we were having xyz event!" Humm.. .you didn't notice the signup sheets and signs? I sometimes think when people walk into church they close their eyes and cover their ears. :lol:

• Members

Amazing, people will not commit to attending church services until the last minute for something better just might come along. Honestly, I've never had any thing better to come along than attending church services in any given Sunday. Of course like others, I have had to miss a few times because I and or wife was sick, yet I had planned on being at church.

The Lord has been real good to me, its been way over a year since I've missed church services.

• Members

Holster I had a lady (slightly odd) upset with me that she didn't know we were having someone's baby shower. I said "Well its been announced for three weeks now." She said "I wasn't here! You should have called!!!" I was like "Well I'm very sorry, I usually don't call around with that sort of thing if its been announced all month." :-)

Good grief! I figure if people are too busy or sick to be at church they prOBably can't make it to a baby shower, eh?