• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Comment about song; When We All Get To Heaven

• Members

Are we proclaiming the whole truth if the songs give the wrong message to the lost?

Notice, I asked, but you returned with questions?

So I returned more questions!

It's my idea that we are NOT giving the wrong message to the lost. In fact, we are not giving a message to the lost. Their message comes in the sermon. In the singing, the lost are seeing the local church worshipping their God. If the lost is singing with me under false pretense.. that is their sin.. not mine. I cannot see the heart of any man. I cannot tell who is saved and lost. I cannot tell who should sing and who should not.

• Members

To be honest, on this subject, I'm undecided about this song. Do I want to think its OK because I love this old song, and heard ti as it is so many times?

I would like to hear it sang in the manner our church member did, maybe that would give me more thought on it.

I found the song with the words, 'When the saved get to heaven,' but whe it plays I hear 'when we all get to heaven.'

Edited by Jerry80871852

• Members

Are we proclaiming the whole truth if the songs give the wrong message to the lost?

Notice, I asked, but you returned with questions?

So I returned more questions!

Jerry, you ask a valid question, but let me remind you that many of the songs we all know and love are unscriptural! If you read the words carefully, it will amaze you as to the doctrine we "teach" in song. "Beaulah Land" for example speaks pf walking "On streets that are of purest gold"--there is only 1 streeet of gold in heaven according to Rev.21:21. There is anothe popular song that speaks of angels rejoicing in heaven over the soul of one sinner that was saved (my wording), but the Bible says that there is rejoicing "in the presence of the angels" which I suppose refers to our heavenly Father! (Lk. 15:10) Anyway, I am sure you get my drift...we are not singing for the teaching of others, but for the praises of our Lord. We ought not to teach doctrine necessarily in song, but to rejoice in the blessings bestowed. If an unsaved person is in our midst, we ought to make sure they know that, and if a new convert is among us, we definitely should make sure they are properly discipled. We can toss out many of the good songs because they are written by men, or we can rejoice in them and allow them to exhilarate us and carry us to realms of glory.
(By the way on "Jordan's golden shore" we are way off, and who said there was a river to cross that represents Heaven? And what about those "golden gates" of "heaven" that are in fact pearl? etc., and etc. Our songs are wrong because much of our thinking is wrong; we need to stick to the Bible.)

• Members

Lu 15:10 Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.

I take it there is a song that misrepresents this verse.

I often think of this verse when I read that one.

1Pe 1:12 Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.

Yes, when something comes to mind that brings any doubt, we need to explore that doubt, and make sure that we can do it in full faith.

Ro 14:23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

Of course when one does this, some will say such stuff at this, "it's the gnat and camel scenario," while mocking you. That can be disappointing, but there will always be such people around.

• Members

Lu 15:10 Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.

I take it there is a song that misrepresents this verse.

I often think of this verse when I read that one.

1Pe 1:12 Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.

Yes, when something comes to mind that brings any doubt, we need to explore that doubt, and make sure that we can do it in full faith.

Ro 14:23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

Of course when one does this, some will say such stuff at this, "it's the gnat and camel scenario," while mocking you. That can be disappointing, but there will always be such people around.

Yes, there is a very popular song that misrepresents that verse, as many preachers also do! A careful reading of the verse usually exposes such things.

I don't worry about the camels and gnats, but, as you say, they are definitely a nuisances. Truth is truth and accuracy is important, even in the "little things". Remember, it is the "little foxes that spoil the vine".

• Members

If one knowingly sacrifices the truths on very small matters, will they not soon sacrifice truth on greater matters? Thus one of the major attacks on those who tries to be careful and hold to all truths. both small and large, as best they know how is to say to them, 'your straining gnats.'

In fact during the last several years has not many churches throughout this nation been compromising God's truths while fellowshipping with any church or churches who will fellowship with them no matter what they teach? And is not one of the compromises with songs sang in praising our Savior and Father?

Pr 23:23 Buy the truth, and sell it not; also wisdom, and instruction, and understanding.

Would not this verse include small truths, as well as big truths? Or we could say, "all truths."