• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Comment about song; When We All Get To Heaven

• Members

One of our church members attended a funeral service yesterday afternoon, they had the choir from our local Mennoite Chruch, they sang the song, "When We All Get To Heaven," but they sang, "When All The Saved Get To Heaven.

I never really gave it no thought, but that song is not scriptural sang as written, unless only saved people are singing it.

Had you ever given thought to this?

• Members

I think the assumption was the song was for the saved to sing. At one time this was prOBably how most would have viewed it. Today it seems most people think they will prOBably be going to heaven because they are not mass murdering dictators and would think they could rightly sing the song too.

Of course, the only "we" that will be going to heaven is the redeemed in Christ.

• Members

I think the assumption was the song was for the saved to sing. At one time this was prOBably how most would have viewed it. Today it seems most people think they will prOBably be going to heaven because they are not mass murdering dictators and would think they could rightly sing the song too.

Of course, the only "we" that will be going to heaven is the redeemed in Christ.

yes, that's how I interpreted the song too. It's a joyful song for the believers to sing together.

• Members

I have no idea what the writer had in mind when he wrote it, perhaps his thought was only to have a song that would sell and be accepted by anyone and or everyone. But we all know in most church services there be lost people present, when that song is sang, the implication is, 'when we all get to heaven.'

I'll have to say the Mennonites are quite smart for using the words, "When All The Saved Get To Heaven."

• Members

Hummm.. if we get so technical we'll have to start re-wording almost every song ever written.

How about all the songs about "King" Jesus
Are we going to take out "King" and put in "When Christ comes back the second time, defeats his foes, and rules and reigns going into the millennial kingdom to be the King"....

Edited by holster

• Members

Jesus is King now - but He is not reigning physically yet.

We should analyze all our music. If it cannot bear up under Scriptural scrutiny, then it shouldn't be sung by God's people.

• Members

Analyze yes...I've not allowed many songs to be sung because of doctrinal issues. But... Hymns were written for Christians to sing... not for the world to sing. (Yes, I realize that many lost sit there and sing them. But that is not the design/intent of the Hymn.) Therefore, I think is appropriate for the church to sing When we all get to heaven. Honestly, I think the bigger issue is the SAVED singing hymns that they don't "live"... you know.. lines like "I'll follow Him anywhere," "I'll go where He leads" but then they go out the doors and go their own way.

• Members

Yes, but really there is nothing we can do about the person who sings "I Will Follow Him Where he Leads," them leaves the church and doesn't."

We surely would not want to sing, "I Will Not Follow Him Where he Leads," because we fear someone will leave the building and not follow Him."

That said, I'm thinking of this verse.

Ro 14:23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

We would have to do, or ought to do that which we can do in full faith. That is if we can sing a certain song in full faith, do so, if we can't, don't.

That said, we need to be sure everything is accurate as humanly possible, including the songs we sing.

• Members

I once heard a male voice praise choir sing "When We All Get To Heaven," and I wondered about it then as I am sure they were not all believers.

I still maintain that it is not the responsibility of the hymn writer to account for every person who will possibly be singing the song. Again, the hymn writer is writing the hymn specifically for the saved. If a non-believer sings it they are in effect "stealing " the song and the intent of the writer. Put the blame where it belongs.. the one falsely singing the song.. not the hymn writer who wrote words for a specific people....

Bro. Greg
Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer; - Romans 12:12

• Members

Your right, but it is the responsibility of the local church to keep everything in line with the Bible, isn't it?

1Ti 3:15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

If the local church does not, them is it the pillar and ground of the truth?

The song I brought up, "When We All Get To Heaven," is one of our favorites, I just had never thought about it in that light.

Perhaps there is lost people now who have set in church services singing along with that old hymn who has the false hope of going to heaven thinking surely that church and those wonderful people at that church would never do anything to mislead a soul.

Something to think on and discuss.

• Members

Your right, but it is the responsibility of the local church to keep everything in line with the Bible, isn't it?

1Ti 3:15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

If the local church does not, them is it the pillar and ground of the truth?

The song I brought up, "When We All Get To Heaven," is one of our favorites, I just had never thought about it in that light.

Perhaps there is lost people now who have set in church services singing along with that old hymn who has the false hope of going to heaven thinking surely that church and those wonderful people at that church would never do anything to mislead a soul.

Something to think on and discuss.

Yes, I stand for church responsibility, correction, and discipline. But I wonder... are you suggesting we don't sing the song because someone in the church may be lost? Am I never to have the lost in the church? Do I now need a "hymn list"..... A list of hymns we can sing if there may a lost person in attendance and another list if there are saved people only?

When Israel sang the Psalms to God all were in perfect OBedience to Him? When the Song of Moses was sang who was in attendance? Did they check individuals to make sure the were redeemed?

just thoughts...... You make good points. I don't want anyone to get a false impression that they are OK with the Lord either. But I'm not prepared to change my song service determined who may or may not walk in. The song service is to give praise to God and edify the saints of God.

Bro. Greg
Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer; - Romans 12:12

• Members

Yes, I stand for church responsibility, correction, and discipline. But I wonder... are you suggesting we don't sing the song because someone in the church may be lost? Am I never to have the lost in the church? Do I now need a "hymn list"..... A list of hymns we can sing if there may a lost person in attendance and another list if there are saved people only?

When Israel sang the Psalms to God all were in perfect OBedience to Him? When the Song of Moses was sang who was in attendance? Did they check individuals to make sure the were redeemed?

just thoughts...... You make good points. I don't want anyone to get a false impression that they are OK with the Lord either. But I'm not prepared to change my song service determined who may or may not walk in. The song service is to give praise to God and edify the saints of God.

Bro. Greg

Greg,

Save your breath, it's the gnat and camel scenario!