• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Justices to hear case over protests at military funerals

• Members

I see this cult is still going strong. Phelps and his bunch will do just about anything to get their names in the news, protesting military funerals because of homosexuality makes NO sense at all, but then that may be the point. I've wondered before how they'd think if Fred Phelp's funeral was protested - it's tasteless and tacky to do what they do, even if it's constitutional.

• Members

I agree, its so sad what they do, and it does not edify anyone. Plus its a bad mark on us even though we are not of them, and it brings bad thoughts towards our God and His Son.

Such people as that makes it much harder on everyone else, and we may all get rights taken away from us because of their actions.

• Members

Anyone using their right of Freedom of Speech in such a disrespectful and frankly in such a cruel way toward's this young man's parent's need to learn of the other right's we have as American Citizen's. Aren't these all soildier funeral's? We aren't able to maintain one right without the other so let's enforce them both! Wait, perhaps we don't have those right's actually?? Can anyone show me chapter and verse in His Word where people had those right's then? That must settle it. We've been mistaken all this time! Actually, I'm persuaded this has more to do with the lack of not being taught American History properly but I must just be a angry liberal.

• Members

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me people use to have a right not to have such trash gather at a funeral service, and if it did they could call the law and they would come run them off.

That is we all have lost many personal rights in the name of free speech. As a young child my mother taught me my rights ended where the next persons right begin, and I did have no right to invade someone else's space if they did not want me there.

For instants, if someone set up at my driveway for whatever reason, and they bothered me and I complained to the law, I think the law ought to make them move simply because they're disturbing my rights. Of course if they set up at my driveway they would be on the right of way of the highway and make it dangerous for the cars and trucks that use this highway. But now day we see news media and or protesters set up most anywhere they want to and the law says they have the right to free speech and it cannot be suppressed for any reason.

• Members

That's the whole sticky prOBlem with this case. Freedom of speech must be protected but freedom from harrassment must be protected too.

If the court rules against Phelps in anything other than a very narrow ruling, such a court ruling could eventually be used against Christians in a variety of areas.

Either way the court rules, it could be a ruling that works against Christians.