• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Northeast IFB'ers

• Members

To all those independent, fundamental Baptists in the northeastern United States:

You are invited to the Spring Conference of the GlOBal Independent Baptist Fellowship scheduled for April 15-16 at Lighthouse Baptist Church in Holbrook, Mass. The theme of the meeting will be a question from Luke 18:8,

• Members

Well, I was never a part of the BBF, so I can't say anything about the quality of their business meetings. However, I do know Bruce Turner, and he's a great preacher. I go for the preaching, not the business meetings anyway.

From what I understand of the history of BBF, the GIBF are made up of the "old" BBF members who remained true to their independent, fundamental upbringings. When the BBF went liberal, these folks left to create the GIBF.

• Members

That is true. They are the conservative side of the old BBF.

However, the fellowship acts like a church, at least in New England. They run camps, support missionaries, have a unified questionairre for all churches to use for missionaries. I used to attend this particular group when I was pastoring in CT and I like the preachers that attend, but the last meeting I attended I told the then director I could not return unless these things changed.

I too though would go hear the Bruce Turner preach. He is an excellent preacher.

• Members

Thanks. I appreciate the info. I've only been to a couple of these conferences in the Midwest as a church planter. I didn't really participate in the business meetings -- I let the senior pastors do that.

• Members

They are a great group of pastors. They just have gotten this idea that fellowships are also churches. When I go to a fellowship, I just want to hear preaching and fellowship.

Not that I am trying to push isolationism either. I believe churches ought to work together in the confine of the local church. I see nothing wrong with a fellowship taking a love offering and giving it to a church planter. But to take offerings that go into the "fellowship account" for the purpose of actually supporting missionaries is totally different.

• Members

I would have to say they were once a great group of pastors, when they started joining in fellowship with the liberal crowd, they stopped being great.

And we can clearly see the temptations are great to join together with them.

We are in a day when a church has to be extremely careful who they fellowship with, that is they have to be checked out very closely, regularly.

• 2 months later...