• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is the IFB the only true church?

• Members

And they won't address it, because they can't. It's time to let this one go Annie. The truth is obvious and they know it -- you can see it in how their posts have turned from rational (somewhat) discussion to questioning your ability/right to question them. There is only one church and it is made up of the universal brotherhood of all faithful believers. And even if there was only one denomination that occupied this position, I have a hard time believing that Christ would wait until the 17th century to make it apparent.

You're probably right, mattd. They can't seem to understand that even those whose "secondary" doctrines we would disagree with can get their soteriology right...and that we should view such people as Christian brethren. We do not have a corner on truth. We are just as fallible as anyone else. But we serve an infallible Savior...PTL.

EDITED TO ADD: I don't know that I'd express it the same way you have, mattd (that "there is only one church...made up of the universal brotherhood of all faithful believers). Although I do agree with that as you've stated, I would add something about "church" also being used specifically in Scripture to mean local bodies as well. (You'd probably agree.) Edited by Annie

• Members

Jerry, this is laughable...Your accusation of arrogance was based upon the "fact" that I have not used Scripture to "prove Marty wrong," when in fact I have used Scripture, in this thread, no less, which, I might add, has gone completely unaddressed by either you or Marty. Do you realize what you and Marty are arguing for? You are adding requirements to "by grace/faith in Christ alone," insisting that the mode of baptism affects whether or not a person has been saved or can earn rewards in heaven. Baptism, although an important, even immediate, expression of faith, does not save a person, or make him fit to enter heaven, or give him a ticket to the marriage feast, or allow him the privilege of being called the bride of Christ. Such ideas are found nowhere in Scripture. As you said yourself, Jerry, in post #7 of this thread, "We know that water baptism does not remit sin and give a person salvation. For salvation is a free gift, not of oneself, not by works, only thanks to God's mercy thru faith in Jesus Christ." Scripture says that "the church" is the bride of Christ. And it uses this term in a general sense, as I have demonstrated, as well as in a specific sense (local churches).

"Baptists" do not have a "corner on truth" any more than any other orthodox denomination or independent church. And, although they do practice baptism by immersion, Nazarenes and other churches are certainly not "Baptists" by any other definition than (perhaps?) yours.

Laughable, you call Marty out, saying to him, "But your Baptist elitism is arrogance in the extreme."

No, that's not laughable, and its not Christ like, not the least bit.

This post, and every post since you stated that statement to Marty has been completely out of line beyond the limits.

If you can't state you beliefs with out making such remarks, you should stay off of such sties at this.

Its so sad to see a God fearing woman with that kind of attitude, every post that Marty has made to you has been polite, yet you returned it by calling him arrogant.

Your tactic is quite clear, when someone presents something you do not accept, you resort to the tacit of saying such things as this, "But your Baptist elitism is arrogance in the extreme," them acting like you've done nothing wrong, I can only suppose you hope by making such a statement it will bait them into saying something worse than you with them getting banned. I've seen others one message boards use the same tactic.

• Members

"secondary doctrines"? I don't understand your reasoning; as Jerry said (in effect), it makes no sense, but since you align yourself with those who hold to "secondary doctrines" i would suppose you believe them also, and I can't expect too much from you. I only hope that you do not shame yourself with the signature that you are a pastors wife, or him either; i would like to give you more credit than that!

• Members

"secondary doctrines"? I don't understand your reasoning; as Jerry said (in effect), it makes no sense, but since you align yourself with those who hold to "secondary doctrines" i would suppose you believe them also, and I can't expect too much from you. I only hope that you do not shame yourself with the signature that you are a pastors wife, or him either; i would like to give you more credit than that!

Perhaps "secondary doctrines" isn't the best way to put it...What I'm talking about are doctrines that are not soteriological...such as doctrines about eschatology, sanctification, baptism, version preference, and any other doctrine that we can "agree to disagree on" and still be brothers and sisters in Christ. The point is that not all Christians are Baptists, and that Baptists cannot claim to have the only corner on truth regarding doctrines that all Christians agree upon (soteriological doctrines)...Those doctrines aren't "Baptist"; they're biblical. If Baptists hold to the clear biblical doctrines of soteriology, that's great. If certain Presbyterians hold to clear Bible doctrines of soteriology, that's great...but they're not "Baptists." Same with any other person/denomination/local church/assembly. Baptists are not some elite group that has all the answers and are the "closest" to God. It is proud and arrogant to think otherwise.

• Members

Baptists are not some elite group that has all the answers and are the "closest" to God. It is proud and arrogant to think otherwise.

So what doctrines do the Baptists have wrong? Maybe we should Baptize babies? Maybe we should speak in tongues? Maybe we should accept evolution as fact? Maybe we should follow the pope? Maybe we should have several levels of Bishops? Maybe we should say that Baptism is required for salvation? Maybe we should teach that we can become gods? Your statement sounds very ecumenical to me.

• Members

So what doctrines do the Baptists have wrong? Maybe we should Baptize babies? Maybe we should speak in tongues? Maybe we should accept evolution as fact? Maybe we should follow the pope? Maybe we should have several levels of Bishops? Maybe we should say that Baptism is required for salvation? Maybe we should teach that we can become gods? Your statement sounds very ecumenical to me.

Not at all ecumenical...Certainly, somebody is right and somebody is wrong when it comes to eschatology, baptism, version preference, sanctification, etc. And, until we all come to complete unity in heaven, disagreements about these topics will keep us separated into denominations. I'm not talking about any of these doctrines, but soteriological ones. (Do you know what "soteriology" is?) I'm simply talking about Christians (Baptists as well as other denominations) who agree on how a person is saved...by grace through faith in Christ alone, not by works of righteousness, etc. Baptists are not the only people who have soteriology right. They don't have "special status" with God. That's all I'm saying. Don't you agree, Matthew, that there are people outside the Baptist denomination who are saved...who will be in heaven...who will get rewards in heaven...who will be at the marriage supper...etc.? The idea that only "Baptists" will be able to participate in these "special" heavenly events finds no support in Scripture. Baptists are not the sole proprietors of correct soteriological doctrine...It is ridiculous to force a "trademark" like that on correct soterioloy when correct soteriology can be found outside Baptist circles.

I'm not advocating ecumenism at all. I understand why there are divisions between denominations, and do not advocate "bringing those walls down" and forgetting what we believe in the name of ooshy-gooshy-touchy-feely-LUUV. All doctrine is important...but there is just one category of doctrines (soteriology) which affects our eternal destiny. Those who have those doctrines right (faith, grace, not by works, Christ's work on the cross, etc.) are "the church" who will be gathered together in heaven for all eternity..."the church" who is the bride of Christ...washed in the blood of the Lamb...presented as glorious, "without spot or wrinkle," since it's all about Christ, and not about who was right about every single doctrine on earth (which is nobody, anyway).

I sense that some of us are at an impasse here...If so, it's a waste of time for us to discuss this matter. So, I think I'll be hanging it up, unless somehow new territory (interacting with ideas) is covered. Edited by Annie

• Members

Jerry, you accuse Annie of not using Scripture (which she has), but you and Irishman haven't used a shred to prove your elitist view that Baptists hold a special place in Heaven.
I've also used Scripture to prove that the body of Christ is the church, but you guys just don't get it. Don't go after Annie just because you don't have any Scripture to back up your view. Also, you never answered the four specific questions I asked you; instead you bravely took pot shots at a lady in forum that is very thorough at explaining her views.

Have a conversation, don't take pot shots. You can start by answering these questions as opposed to dodging them:

What if a church teaches everything most everything right but doesn’t go by the title Baptist? Are they still part of the club or are they out?

What if a church teaches 95% of everything right, but say they use a NKJV, or the pastor or a deacon has been divorced - are they out?

What if they teach all the Baptist fundamentals, but are moderate (or even hyper) Calvinists – are they out?

Where exactly in Scripture do we see the requirements of a local church to remain a member of the Bride of Christ?

Here's what it really comes down to, and if you and Irishman are intellectually honest and really willing to examine what you believe in light of the Scripture you'll answer these questions:

1. According to following Scriptures, is the Bride the church? If yes, then proceed to the next point. If no, then explain why not.

Rev. 21:9, “And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife.”

Eph. 5:23-32, “For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. [24] Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing. [25] Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; [27] That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish. [29] For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church: [32] This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.”

2. According to the following Scriptures, is the church the body of Christ? If yes, then proceed to the next point. If no, then explain why not.

Col. 1:18, “And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.”

Col. 1:24, “Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:”

3. According to the following Scriptures, does the body contain anything but saved Christians who are labeled as being "in Christ?" If yes, then proceed to the next point. If no, then explain why not.

Eph. 2:16-18, “And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby: [17] And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh. [18] For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.”

Eph. 3:6, “That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:”

Rom. 12:5, “So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.”

4. According to the following verses, are those "in Christ" there because of the church they attend or because they are saved? If yes, then why can't you understand that being "in Christ" means being saved and in the body of Christ - not being part of a denomination??? If no, then explain why not.

I Cor. 12:12-13, “For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. [13] For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.”

Rom. 6:3, “Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?”

Gal. 3:26-27, “For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.”

II Cor. 5:17, “Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.”

These are the verses that describe what it means to be in the Bride of Christ. To be in the Bride, you must be part of the church. The church is the body of Christ. The body consists of people who are saved, no more - NO LESS.

Where in the above verses do you see anything that suggests a difference between a saved Baptist and a saved Nazarene, or any other denomination? Where in the above verses IS THERE ANY REQUIREMENT UPON THE BELIEVER to do anything but have faith in Christ to be part of the body of Christ???????

When you start teaching the Briderism garbage you have no idea just how close you are getting to espousing Roman Catholic works salvation.

Edited by Rick Schworer

• Members

Not at all ecumenical...Certainly, somebody is right and somebody is wrong when it comes to eschatology, baptism, version preference, sanctification, etc. And, until we all come to complete unity in heaven, disagreements about these topics will keep us separated into denominations. I'm not talking about any of these doctrines, but soteriological ones. (Do you know what "soteriology" is?) I'm simply talking about Christians (Baptists as well as other denominations) who agree on how a person is saved...by grace through faith in Christ alone, not by works of righteousness, etc. Baptists are not the only people who have soteriology right. They don't have "special status" with God. That's all I'm saying. Don't you agree, Matthew, that there are people outside the Baptist denomination who are saved...who will be in heaven...who will get rewards in heaven...who will be at the marriage supper...etc.? The idea that only "Baptists" will be able to participate in these "special" heavenly events finds no support in Scripture. Baptists are not the sole proprietors of correct soteriological doctrine...It is ridiculous to force a "trademark" like that on correct soterioloy when correct soteriology can be found outside Baptist circles.

I'm not advocating ecumenism at all. I understand why there are divisions between denominations, and do not advocate "bringing those walls down" and forgetting what we believe in the name of ooshy-gooshy-touchy-feely-LUUV. All doctrine is important...but there is just one category of doctrines (soteriology) which affects our eternal destiny. Those who have those doctrines right (faith, grace, not by works, Christ's work on the cross, etc.) are "the church" who will be gathered together in heaven for all eternity..."the church" who is the bride of Christ...washed in the blood of the Lamb...presented as glorious, "without spot or wrinkle," since it's all about Christ, and not about who was right about every single doctrine on earth (which is nobody, anyway).

I sense that some of us are at an impasse here...If so, it's a waste of time for us to discuss this matter. So, I think I'll be hanging it up, unless somehow new territory (interacting with ideas) is covered.

Annie, There is more than soteriology that is required. If that was all that is required then we could do anything we wished once we were saved and not worry about it since God would not care. We could organize the church (even have a pope) in any way we wanted to.

As far as taking down the walls we must do so. I am not suggesting that compromise of the truth be given but we must take down those walls. We are to be unified in the truth (1 Cor 1:10ff, Eph 4:1ff).

• Members

Annie, There is more than soteriology that is required. If that was all that is required then we could do anything we wished once we were saved and not worry about it since God would not care. We could organize the church (even have a pope) in any way we wanted to.

Required for what? Attendance at the marriage supper of the Lamb? Eternity in heaven? I agree (and have already said) that all doctrine is important (that's why the denominational walls are going to stay up...we all think what we believe is important enough not to "give in" in those ares), but the only doctrine that we have to get right in order to enter heaven (and attend the marriage supper, etc.) is that salvation is by faith in Christ and through His grace.

• Members

Jerry, you accuse Annie of not using Scripture (which she has), but you and Irishman haven't used a shred to prove your elitist view that Baptists hold a special place in Heaven.
I've also used Scripture to prove that the body of Christ is the church, but you guys just don't get it. Don't go after Annie just because you don't have any Scripture to back up your view. Also, you never answered the four specific questions I asked you; instead you bravely took pot shots at a lady in forum that is very thorough at explaining her views.

Have a conversation, don't take pot shots. You can start by answering these questions as opposed to dodging them:

What if a church teaches everything most everything right but doesn’t go by the title Baptist? Are they still part of the club or are they out?

What if a church teaches 95% of everything right, but say they use a NKJV, or the pastor or a deacon has been divorced - are they out?

What if they teach all the Baptist fundamentals, but are moderate (or even hyper) Calvinists – are they out?

Where exactly in Scripture do we see the requirements of a local church to remain a member of the Bride of Christ?

Here's what it really comes down to, and if you and Irishman are intellectually honest and really willing to examine what you believe in light of the Scripture you'll answer these questions:

1. According to following Scriptures, is the Bride the church? If yes, then proceed to the next point. If no, then explain why not.

Rev. 21:9, “And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife.”

Eph. 5:23-32, “For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. [24] Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing. [25] Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; [27] That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish. [29] For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church: [32] This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.”

2. According to the following Scriptures, is the church the body of Christ? If yes, then proceed to the next point. If no, then explain why not.

Col. 1:18, “And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.”

Col. 1:24, “Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:”

3. According to the following Scriptures, does the body contain anything but saved Christians who are labeled as being "in Christ?" If yes, then proceed to the next point. If no, then explain why not.

Eph. 2:16-18, “And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby: [17] And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh. [18] For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.”

Eph. 3:6, “That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:”

Rom. 12:5, “So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.”

4. According to the following verses, are those "in Christ" there because of the church they attend or because they are saved? If yes, then why can't you understand that being "in Christ" means being saved and in the body of Christ - not being part of a denomination??? If no, then explain why not.

I Cor. 12:12-13, “For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. [13] For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.”

Rom. 6:3, “Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?”

Gal. 3:26-27, “For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.”

II Cor. 5:17, “Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.”

These are the verses that describe what it means to be in the Bride of Christ. To be in the Bride, you must be part of the church. The church is the body of Christ. The body consists of people who are saved, no more - NO LESS.

Where in the above verses do you see anything that suggests a difference between a saved Baptist and a saved Nazarene, or any other denomination? Where in the above verses IS THERE ANY REQUIREMENT UPON THE BELIEVER to do anything but have faith in Christ to be part of the body of Christ???????

When you start teaching the Briderism garbage you have no idea just how close you are getting to espousing Roman Catholic works salvation.

No, your universal church doctrine is the doctrine and teaching of the RCC, its not of the Bible. I've told you this many time, go check it out, it comes form them, they be the ones that bought it into this world.

Annie can keep the flame out, and not make statements such as, your arrogance is showing.

By the way, the meaning of Arrogance: haughtiness, high-handedness, lordliness, contemptuousness, disdainfulness, pride, imperiousness. And up to the point Annie made that statement Marty had made no reply to her that had any of that within them.

I might add because of a statement made by another poster, churches do not save, Jesus does. so what Marty proclaims is not about being saved.

Yet I might add, I suppose there be saved people in many churches, yet those that are saved, are saved in spite of the teachings of the churches, for in all actuallity, there be few churches that teach one is saved by grace though faith. The majority of churches, as I have before stated, teaches salvation by works, church membership.

I might add, go back and study the Bible starting out with John the Baptist and baptizing. You will find that Jesus' Churches are made up of baptized believers. That is people who have been both saved and baptized.

Its not made up of both baptized and un-baptized believers, the un-baptized believers have chosen not to follow Christ and are not members of none of His Churches.

Plus, Jesus did not seek just anyone to baptize Him, He sought a person that had authority from God, and the same holds true today.
Here is some helps on the subject.

• Members

. Don't you agree, Matthew, that there are people outside the Baptist denomination who are saved...who will be in heaven...who will get rewards in heaven...who will be at the marriage supper...etc.? The idea that only "Baptists" will be able to participate in these "special" heavenly events finds no support in Scripture. Baptists are not the sole proprietors of correct soteriological doctrine...It is ridiculous to force a "trademark" like that on correct soterioloy when correct soteriology can be found outside Baptist circles.

I have not seen anyone in this thread say that non Baptists can't be saved. This would include myself. I don't know about the marriage supper and the rewards since I'm still researching those issues. I do believe that Jesus started the first church since calling out his apostles. I also believe that there has always been individual churches that hold Baptist like doctrine. I don't believe Baptists are protestants but I also would not say your Baptist church is not legit unless you can trace it to Jesus' church that he started.

• Members

I have not seen anyone in this thread say that non Baptists can't be saved. This would include myself. I don't know about the marriage supper and the rewards since I'm still researching those issues. I do believe that Jesus started the first church since calling out his apostles. I also believe that there has always been individual churches that hold Baptist like doctrine. I don't believe Baptists are protestants but I also would not say your Baptist church is not legit unless you can trace it to Jesus' church that he started.

Then we agree, Matthew! And...I can trace my church back to the true church....because it subscribes to true doctrine. That has nothing at all to do with the denominational label. Edited by Annie

• Members

Bro. Rick,
I will not answer your questions since I believe they are asked in mockery ("in the club"); I am growing rather weary of this thread, and may abandon it for now. Too many people are getting fired up about the true church; besides, I am having a problem posting again.

• Members

I am not going to get into this very deep, as I agree with the statement that a lot of this is border lining on mockery!! Club, Garbage, arrogance. Not statements that seem open for discussion, but rather "I am going to hammer the truth into you until you see the light." I agree one side is right and one is wrong, but we need to be willing to try to see where the other side is coming from or else it is a lecture, not a discussion!!

Now I am going to answer your second verse as I think it gives a little light to the "Brider" side. I do not believe I would fit your definniton of brider, as I believe there are saved people within most any "christian" faith despite the teachings of their "church."

Now note verse 24. He says the church is subject to Christ. Subject, now you can look up the definition of that word, but the sixth definition in websters 1828 is Obedient. Now how does this fit? How obedient is the part of your definition of church when they fall down before the pope and kiss his ring in worship? How obedient is that part of your church when they get out their idol (Exod 20 3-6) and bow down before it and pray unto it??? Are they being obedient?? The verse continues by telling the earthly wives to be so toward their husbands. Now looking at scripture it seems that idoliotry is looked upon by God the same as we would look at adultry! So my question would be how many of us guys would be excited about our up coming wedding as we set and watch our bride flirting and/or worse with all the other guys she meets? Or even if it is only one other guy, the guy she loved before we met. For that is exactly what you are discribing when you put the RC in as part of the bride.

You said "These are the verses that describe what it means to be in the Bride of Christ." I believe you left at least one out. Rev 19:7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.
I for one am saved by the blood of the lamb. The only thing I had to do with that is I accepted the gift put before me. I did not make myself saved in any way whatsoever. I am to sinful to have done so. But the bride has made herself ready. Did she save herself? NO!! She has been obedient in such a way as to be an example to earthly wives as how to be toward their husbands. She has been pure. She has made herself ready!!! But she has done so AFTER salvation!!

Now for a side point, before you say I am one of those who feel they are of an elite class. I question whether I will have the pleasure of being a part of the bride. I know my sinful nature. I know I should be closer to him than I am. I know I slip an fall into sin. But He is the one who will judge who is pure to be in his bride. Also I do not believe the baptist name hanging over a door means anything towards being a part of the bride. from my understanding I feel there will be many who have been called by other names who hold true to his word. I do not believe John the baptist was "A baptist". He was called baptist the same as I am called carpenter.