• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is the IFB the only true church?

• Members

Someone who believes the Baptist church is the only true church, and that spiritually they are the Bride of Christ. Every other saved person is just a guest at the wedding. That would include Martin Luther, John Huss, and John Wesley.

They, apparently, weren't special enough in the eyes of these elitist numbskulls.

Thanks Rick. I always wondered.

I had a couple of JWs on the doorstep last Saturday and they were more willing to discuss the sccriptures than some christians. They kept trying to turn the conversation to the trinity, though. In the end, I said if they came again at a more convenient tgime thay coould come in and I would discuss the scriptures with them. They thanked me for being willing to discuss the scriptures with them.

I hAV e found some Christians are not willing to do that. Edited by Invicta

• Members

Please can someone explain what a baptist brider is? I think someone did previously but I have forgotten.

Many tries to explain what the Bride of Christ is, yet they do not know, so how can they explain something they know nothing about, and how can they say it wrong when they do not even know what the teaching are. It would be like me trying to explain all about basketball even though I know hardly anything about basketball. Now these 3 articles some what explains the Bride of Christ, they are the only ones I can find on line that gets even close to it.

So if you would like to know a little about this, read these articles, and compare what they are teaching to what is in the Bible.

The Bible, The Baptists, and The Bride of Christ

BAPTIST BRIDEISM IS WHAT???

A Baptist Bride

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Baptists don't claim there were "Baptists" since Pentecost but that those who truely followed Christ eventually came to be known as Baptists.

The Roman Catholic Church persecuted the first Baptists extensively which is why there is little surviving of their earliest times. At the time of the Reformation one Catholic priest or bishop commented that (it's recorded in writing and we still have this today) that had the RCC not been so hotly persecuting the Baptists for the past thousand years the RCC would be facing much worse at that time.

With regards to speaking in tongues, Baptists don't speak in unbiblical "tongues" as some Charismatics and others do, but there have been instances of Baptists who spoke in biblical tongues while serving in foreign lands taking the Gospel to the unreached.

This is nonsense. The NT faith is Pentecostal/Charismatic from beginning to end, and the NT teaches it would stay that way until Christ returns. The largest Evangelical group in the world is the Pentecostals, and they are the force in Global Missions, because they have been endued with power from on High.

Many of the so-called Baptist groups prior to the reformations believed in laying hands of believers to receive the Holy Ghost! These people were hardly Baptists!

• Members

This is nonsense. The NT faith is Pentecostal/Charismatic from beginning to end, and the NT teaches it would stay that way until Christ returns. The largest Evangelical group in the world is the Pentecostals, and they are the force in Global Missions, because they have been endued with power from on High.

Many of the so-called Baptist groups prior to the reformations believed in laying hands of believers to receive the Holy Ghost! These people were hardly Baptists!

Faith,

The Pentecostal denomination is not the Lord's church. It is simply a denomination and if one studies church history it is clear that this denomination was not around at the beginning. There is but one church and that is the one which belongs to Christ. Denominationalism is wrong and it is sinful. Jesus prayed against it (John 17); Paul taught against it (1 Cor 1-4; Eph 4:1ff).

For the record, miracles have ceased (1 Cor 13:8ff). They were given for specific reasons (Mark 16:20) and could not be given but by those Apostles who had been given these abilities by God. Study Acts 8:14ff. Notice that before this Philipp who had certain miraculous abilities but could not pass them on. Peter and John had to come to pass on these abilities. Paul desired to go to Rome and give them spiritual gifts. It took apostles and sorry but they are all dead and thus no one has those abilities today. They aren't needed anyway since we now have the Word which provides everything to us today (2 Peter 1:3) Edited by coc333

• Members

Faith,

The Pentecostal denomination is not the Lord's church. It is simply a denomination and if one studies church history it is clear that this denomination was not around at the beginning. There is but one church and that is the one which belongs to Christ. Denominationalism is wrong and it is sinful. Jesus prayed against it (John 17); Paul taught against it (1 Cor 1-4; Eph 4:1ff).

For the record, miracles have ceased (1 Cor 13:8ff). They were given for specific reasons (Mark 16:20) and could not be given but by those Apostles who had been given these abilities by God. Study Acts 8:14ff. Notice that before this Philipp who had certain miraculous abilities but could not pass them on. Peter and John had to come to pass on these abilities. Paul desired to go to Rome and give them spiritual gifts. It took apostles and sorry but they are all dead and thus no one has those abilities today. They aren't needed anyway since we now have the Word which provides everything to us today (2 Peter 1:3)

This always puzzles me. Was not Philip one of the apostles? Matthew 10:3. Was it all the apostles that had this gift, or only some?

• Members

And the Bible tells us there be few that enter the strait narrow gate and many enter the broad wide gate. Reading that, considering your reasoning makes you look quite foolish thinking because they're the largest they are the one.

Actually you use a very poor measuring stick, what really matter is does their teaching measure up to the Bible teachings, and of course that's a no, the oneness doctrine is not within the pages of the Bible.

• Members

Many tries to explain what the Bride of Christ is, yet they do not know, so how can they explain something they know nothing about, and how can they say it wrong when they do not even know what the teaching are. It would be like me trying to explain all about basketball even though I know hardly anything about basketball. Now these 3 articles some what explains the Bride of Christ, they are the only ones I can find on line that gets even close to it.

So if you would like to know a little about this, read these articles, and compare what they are teaching to what is in the Bible.

The Bible, The Baptists, and The Bride of Christ

BAPTIST BRIDEISM IS WHAT???

A Baptist Bride

The Bible is pretty clear as to what the bride of Christ is. It is His church.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

There's no such thing as "the one true church" or denomination in the Bible.

That's a Catholic doctrine.

True. With regards specifically to IFB, it would be impossible for IFB to be the only true church since each IFB church is, as the name implies INDEPENDENT. Not all IFB churches agree with one another on various matters. While most probably agree upon the fundamentals, there is yet a problem in this area as many IFB churches have expanded the list of what they consider to be fundamentals...and not all who have done this agree with one another as to what does and does not belong on the expanded list. There are also many differences with regards to application, separation, etc.

A true, biblical church is pastored by a born again man of God shepherding his flock in the will of God and the membership is made up of born again men and women seeking to learn the Word so they may abide in the Word. Such a church will be Christ focused and not man or flesh centered. Such a church will be one that obeys the Word of God in action, as doers of the Word and not hearers only.

One can only discover such a true, biblical church by visiting churches and evaluating them by the Word of God.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

The Church of Christ in the Biblical sense consists of each individual who has put their faith & trust in Christ’s sacrifice alone as the means of their attaining unto salvation. NO single denomination or church fellowship has the right to claim themselves as exclusively possessing this title, in the Biblical sense.

• Members

You must remember, at this time, during the church age, there is no single church, there is however many local churches scattered throughout the world, some of these being true churches, many of them base only on false teachings, and at Christ coming for His own, they will be gathered together, separate the true churches from the false churches, when this happens they will become one church, and will be taken out of this world, for the church age will have ended.

And if at anytime between the day Jesus started His church, and having had many local churches founded, if at any time period during these years there ceased to be at least one of Jesus' true churches, them the devil has won.

Mt 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Since the beginning the old Devil has tried every trick he could come up with to prevent God's prophecies within the Bible from coming true, he tried in the old Testament Days, in the New Testament days he is still trying. Yet at this time he has not succeeded, nor will he, and we have the promise the gates, the devil and his gang, will not prevail against Jesus Churches.

And the Bible gives a person everything he needs to know how to determine Jesus' true churches from all false churches.

• Members

And if at anytime between the day Jesus started His church, and having had many local churches founded, if at any time period during these years there ceased to be at least one of Jesus' true churches, them the devil has won.

Mt 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

That's not what Jesus said though. He said that the gates of Hell will NOT prevail against His church. If "His church" is LOCAL churches, then every single local church has to survive.

So if a good church shuts down then the Devil won? Does that mean that every church that shut down, anywhere and at any time in human history, was not one of Jesus' churches? What about churches in Communist countries where the whole congregation was killed or imprisoned and that local church ceased to exist?

If this verse is talking about ONE universal church consisting of ALL believers, then it is a perfect example of eternal security and how that no matter what happens - the gates of Hell will not prevail against the body of Christ. Edited by Rick Schworer

• Members

That's not what Jesus said though. He said that the gates of Hell will NOT prevail against His church. If "His church" is LOCAL churches, then every single local church has to survive.

So if a good church shuts down then the Devil won? Does that mean that every church that shut down, anywhere and at any time in human history, was not one of Jesus' churches? What about churches in Communist countries where the whole congregation was killed or imprisoned and that local church ceased to exist?

If this verse is talking about ONE universal church consisting of ALL believers, then it is a perfect example of eternal security and how that no matter what happens - the gates of Hell will not prevail against the body of Christ.

Jerry said if at any time there was never one good church left in the world that the devil would have won.