• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is the IFB the only true church?

• Members

Really, you should be interested in knowing when the Baptists came about. I do believe they are post-reformation. It's incredible that some claim they go all the way back to John the Baptist. Even if the evil Catholic Church destroyed their writings, there would still be some around that pre-date the 16th Century - Catholics couldn't have been that effective in destroying 100% of any baptist documents. And, what about the Bible? Didn't Catholics preserve it? If they were so evil, wouldn't they have tried to destroy it???

Personally, I'm not that interested in it or I would have remembered more about what I read along these lines. For myelf it's not important when Baptists were first called Baptists but there are others who take great interest in this. You'll have to ask one of them for solid answers regarding this.

• Members

One could make the argument that there have always been true Christians throughout all ages. Since most IFB churches are pretty right on that would make them true Christians, thus in that sense "Baptists" have been around a long time. They weren't called Baptist back then though. I am more along the lines of John though. It really doesn't matter. What matters is that we are teaching truth and learning truth and applying truth which is God's Word, the Bible.

• Members

Really, you should be interested in knowing when the Baptists came about. I do believe they are post-reformation. It's incredible that some claim they go all the way back to John the Baptist. Even if the evil Catholic Church destroyed their writings, there would still be some around that pre-date the 16th Century - Catholics couldn't have been that effective in destroying 100% of any baptist documents. And, what about the Bible? Didn't Catholics preserve it? If they were so evil, wouldn't they have tried to destroy it???

Why should I be interested in when the Baptists first came about? By Catholic admission Baptists were around at least a thousand years prior to Martin Luther.

What matters is being born again in Christ and obeying His Word; not when Baptists first were called Baptists.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Why should I be interested in when the Baptists first came about? By Catholic admission Baptists were around at least a thousand years prior to Martin Luther.

What matters is being born again in Christ and obeying His Word; not when Baptists first were called Baptists.

I agree. God surely won't judge us for not knowing the date "Baptists" came in to existence. His word in the Bible is all we need to live by. More power to you, though, if you are able to sit down, research, and figure out a date.

• Members

Does anyone here reject a Church simply based on the fact that they don't call themselves IFB? They have a name like "Open Door Fellowship" and they teach and preach just like solid IFBaptist, but they call themselves independent/non-denominational and don't use the title Baptist at all.

Edited by God's Child

• Members

Does anyone here reject a Church simply based on the fact that they don't call themselves IFB? They have a name like "Open Door Fellowship" and they teach and preach just like solid IFBaptist, but they call themselves independent/non-denominational and don't use the title Baptist at all.

I would not reject such a church, not at all.

• Members

I wouldn't reject it automatically, but I would be a little wary until I checked its doctrine and practices against Scripture. And just because a church has Baptist over its door doesn't mean I'd automatically join it. But I would start with Baptist churches and go from there.

• Administrators

I would not automatically reject the church, the doctrine of the church is more important than the name.
However, I do often wonder why these churches do not have Baptist in their name. If you have Baptist doctrines, why not call yourself Baptist? I can only speak for New England, but the majority of the time when a church removes Baptist from their name it for the purpose of attracting more people. After a few years, the church usually is not an IFB church in preaching anymore.

If they believe like a Baptist, why are they not a Baptist? I mean if I had the same beliefs as the Catholics, would I not be a Catholic?

• Members

I would not automatically reject the church, the doctrine of the church is more important than the name.
However, I do often wonder why these churches do not have Baptist in their name. If you have Baptist doctrines, why not call yourself Baptist? I can only speak for New England, but the majority of the time when a church removes Baptist from their name it for the purpose of attracting more people. After a few years, the church usually is not an IFB church in preaching anymore.

If they believe like a Baptist, why are they not a Baptist? I mean if I had the same beliefs as the Catholics, would I not be a Catholic?

Well, let's see.....here are at least 13 reasons why not to have the word "Baptist" in the title of one's church:

The American Baptist Church
The Southern Baptist Church
The Missionary Baptist Church
The Northern Baptist Church
The Primitive Baptist Church
The Hardshell Baptist Church
The Strict Baptist Church
The Particular Baptist Church
The General Baptist Church
The Landmark Baptist Church
The Reformed Baptist Church
The Freewill Baptist Church
The Pentecostal Baptist Church

Which of these would you like to be likened unto?

• Members

Yeah, in answer to the original question, I'd have to say that I don't think there is any church that has everything 100% correct. So, to use the term "only true church" to describe any one denomination or local body would be a mistake. The "only true church" is the invisible body of believers in Christ.

• Members

Well, let's see.....here are at least 13 reasons why not to have the word "Baptist" in the title of one's church:

The Missionary Baptist Church :biggrin:

• Administrators

Yea, but I could list a thousand more to that list by not putting the word Baptist in it. Would you like for me to start listing the mega Bible churches? :) If that is your criteria, I can generate a bigger list. :)

Which one of those Joel Osteen type churches would you be likened to? :bleh:

• Administrators

Also, if negative name recognition is why not to have the name Baptist in it, then we should not call it a church or call ourselves Christians. After all, too many false doctrines come out of churches.