• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Computer

• Members

I've really about had it with this computer. I'm thinking of using some of our tax returns to buy a new one.

Any suggestions on a new computer that runs well, can handle applications, work well on the internet and should be good for several years?

I'm thinking of checking some online dealers (Dell, etc.) and some local dealers once I get an idea and compare prices and offerings.

Anything you may have to offer will be greatly appreciated; I'm really not up to date at all on computers.

• Members

Also, if you don't have a flat panel monitor now, your new one will have one, and they are wonderful!! Of course, you might want to go with a laptop. It seems like that is what everyone is buying these days. Bakershalfdozen ordered my computer from Dell online for me back in 2004. It is a Windows XP home edition and I do lots of things with it, but would do a lot more with it if I knew how. Except for the occasional hiccup, and a major dumb move from me one time, it is a work horse that keeps on going and going.

• Members

You need to get windows 7. It will last you a few years while XP might go outdated as windows 95.

but you still can use XP without any trouble.

Vista can be troublesome.

I would suggest netbook for internet, but I see you want to use it for other things. A regular computer is good. If you get a laptop, then your children can take it any room they want and you can't supervise (unless you make it clear to them).

Tom Hardware website can give you good suggestions.

• Members

I bought my Toshiba laptop with Vista installed about 2 or 3 years ago. I have never had any prOBlem with the operating system. I tried the Windows 7 upgrade advisor on my XP Media Edition and the main thing it said was one of my printers was upgradable, one was not and the third it did not recognize, and that was my A3 printer.

• Members

Vista has a lot of compatibility issues I've found. Overall, I like some of the features they added to Vista, but you have to have a lot of memory to be able to run the OS and other programs. Some of the features they added, however, are just plain annoying and not really all that necessary.

• Members

Anyway, John, sorry for going offtopic. If you have a Best Buy in your area, they seem to have the best prices overall. If you are going to get a Windows based PC, go with 7 instead of Vista. I think most computers come with that these days anyway.

What kind of specs does your old computer have? 40 gig hard drive? Maybe less?

The computers today will have at least a 500 gig hard drive and at least 4 gig of RAM so it will be lightning fast compared to what you are used to, and will be able to handle any application you throw at it.

• Members

I'm not sure if it was a compatibility issue or just that I got a computer with a bad part, but I bought this HP brand new in September, 2008. We got it for the sole purpose of recording HomeSat. We installed WinTV on it for the satellite capture and used Cyberlink (which came with the computer) to make the DVDs. It gave me so many prOBlems the entire school year. It especially slowed way, way down if Cyberlink and WinTV were open at the same time. Eventually HP took it back and replaced a part but it still slows down when Cyberlink is open and I don't even have WinTV on here anymore!

• Members

PreacherE, I run a lot of programming and graphics software, and I have yet to find any compatibility issues. You are correct though on the memory part, it requires too much for a OS.

I was running some older programs which ran well with 98 & XP, but they had issues with Vista. Some programs would not even launch with Vista. Newer programs I've had no compatibility issues with that I can recall, just those old favorites.