• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What was your first car?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

1954 Pontiac; two tone green, with a "straight 8" engine (they don't make them like that anymore.) It ran like atop. Went to Canada with a carload of friends in it with no prOBlem at all (except for a car load of teens crossing the border!) It was a great car.

• Members

Cool Kayla!

What a fun car. You could beat it to death, and it would start right up every time. I would race my friends with their sports cars and win in that thing. (Not condoning teen racing.) Great little car. Too bad a totaled it.

Mine is still sitting in my parents backyard. Can't drive it more than 10 miles at a time but that bad kid still runs at 300,000 miles and the one of the only things wrong with it is a bad radiator. My dad still drives it around town in times like today when we have 1.5 feet of snow on the ground. It's our only vehicle with 4WD.

• Members

Cool Kayla!

What a fun car. You could beat it to death, and it would start right up every time. I would race my friends with their sports cars and win in that thing. (Not condoning teen racing.) Great little car. Too bad a totaled it.

So you were once stupid as I was!

I look back and think about how crazy it was, at the same time remembering that I sure was enjoying myself. I'm just proud God let me live through it.

With the amount of traffic on the highways in the 2,000 versus the amount of traffic that was on the roads in 65, I think it would even be unsafer today, than it was in the mid-sixties.

I may be wrong, but I live along the same country highway I grew up by, I believe the traffic on this highway is prOBably at least 75% if not quite a bit more, than what it was in 1965.

• Members

Here is a picture of our last 3 vehicles, on the right is our 92 Chevy S-10 4 X 4 Blazer, it has a bit over 150,000, to the left is our 2002 Jeep Grand Laredo Cherokee, it has a bit over 103,000, straight ahead is our 2010 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4X4 which we got about a week ago.

I'm selling the Jeep to Linda's brother, I believe the 92 Chevy Blazer is my favorite vehicle to have owned since 1968 when I bought a Chevy Chevelle SS 396.

I'm not to fond of today's cars, with the engine setting cross-ways under the hood with the front wheel drives. Plus they set so low and it seems you have to down crawl in and when you get out you have to crawl up out of them.

0912290013.th.jpg

• Members

1963 Chevy Belair, 4 door. It was a huge car. I wanted a car for when I turned 16. While 15 one of the members of the church dad was pastoring was having troubles with it. Her dad had bought it new. But ,at almost 30 years old, it did not want to go any farther for her. She had taken it a few times to be worked on, but gave up and decided to sell it. When I went to look at it, the motor would turn over, but would not start. I had enough to pay her for it, so we told her we would take it. Dad had brought new points, just in case that would get it running. We opened up the distributer to find the wires were loose from the points. She was getting no fire. Hooked them up, and she kicked right up. We even took her to Tennessee for vacation. She was very dependable.
I was not the racing tipe, but one day I was driving and a sporty toyota pickup pulled up beside me with RAP "music" blairing so loud you could not hear yourself think. As soon as the light changed I gave her the gas. I could hear that sporty little pickup trying every gear to see if they could catch her. Once I hit the speed limit I let off and let them fly by. It was amazing how much power that little 283 engine had in that great big car. And the gas milage was not that bad either.

• Members

The mention of a 1963 Chevy Belair, 4 door reminded me of this event in my life.

In March 1963, I was 16 years 3 months, I totaled out my older sisters brand new 1963 Biscayne, it was solid white with red interior, had a 6 Cylinder 3 speed column shift Was not going that fast, but it was a rainy foggy night. Ran off a thirty foot dump in the river bottoms. Had 2 friends with me, one got about 187 stitches in his face, the other one it nearly ripped his thumb off of his right hand. I took off on foot to try and get help running up the center of the highway, it was so foggy I could just barely see the center stripe on the highway. The 1st house out of the bottoms a man came to the door, I told him what happened and he said, " If you will give me a dollar I will take you to a phone," I did not have a dollar, he told me to get lost and slammed the door shut.

I took back of running up the center of the highway trying to find another house, in the mean 2 cars had stopped, one took off to call for an ambulance, the other one loaded up my 2 friends and when they came up on me they stopped and picked me up. About 10 miles up the road we saw the blinking lights of the Ambulance coming so we stopped and transferred to the ambulance.

Thankfully both friends recovered OK, we never knew the names of the people who stopped and helped us. That is the only wreck I ever had, hope I can get by without another one, that was pure horror.

• Members

The mention of a 1963 Chevy Belair, 4 door reminded me of this event in my life.

In March 1963, I was 16 years 3 months, I totaled out my older sisters brand new 1963 Biscayne, it was solid white with red interior, had a 6 Cylinder 3 speed column shift Was not going that fast, but it was a rainy foggy night. Ran off a thirty foot dump in the river bottoms. Had 2 friends with me, one got about 187 stitches in his face, the other one it nearly ripped his thumb off of his right hand. I took off on foot to try and get help running up the center of the highway, it was so foggy I could just barely see the center stripe on the highway. The 1st house out of the bottoms a man came to the door, I told him what happened and he said, " If you will give me a dollar I will take you to a phone," I did not have a dollar, he told me to get lost and slammed the door shut.

I took back of running up the center of the highway trying to find another house, in the mean 2 cars had stopped, one took off to call for an ambulance, the other one loaded up my 2 friends and when they came up on me they stopped and picked me up. About 10 miles up the road we saw the blinking lights of the Ambulance coming so we stopped and transferred to the ambulance.

Thankfully both friends recovered OK, we never knew the names of the people who stopped and helped us. That is the only wreck I ever had, hope I can get by without another one, that was pure horror.

Wow, that would be horror!!! God was watching over you, and new He had a jOB for you. Those old cars were solid. If it had been one of these new "better for the enviroment" cars, no telling how bad that would have turned out!