• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Deactivate

Kayla

• Members

Sure, I knew who you were and I had no reason to turn you down. I did notice that when ever I logged on to FB you always seemed to be on the list of "friends online". I thought you must leave it on all the time even if you weren't actually there but I guess that wasn't it. :frog:

Actually I did leave it on when I wasn't there. My sister didn't have a phone until recently and I would leave it on so she could send me messages, so I could hear it while I was cleaning and such.

• Members

Evidently Invicta you do not struggle with fb as do so many. For my family, we have determined to be fb free for a variety of reasons. To each as God leads.

I have never used FB very much and apart from Scrabble which I can make a move when I want, after several days without sitting down at a table till the game is over, I don't often visit.

PS the Scrabble is worldwide, except for US and Canada, I am not sure why, I suppose different publishers have the rights for the different areas.

• Members

Everyone is telling me to join but, I don't think so. It's hard enough keeping a balance with OB alone.

Now, on the otherhand, I may install that software that allows video/talk for no cost...I can't remember its name.

There are several applications that offer that service, the most popular being Skype . Now what I like to use is Gmail chat it is right in your email(like in your inbox) and with a small download(very small) it works right through your browser to do video/voice chat. It runs through a gmail email address. Basically it's which ever you feel comfortable with, I personally use Gmail because on Skype there is a lot of incidents with phishing... on Gmail only those you have on your list can ever find your or contact you via it. :) Much safer IMHO.

• Members

Kayla, I like gmail and the chat there as well. Have you ever looked at some of their other stuff? I am considering doing one of their sites for my Sunday school class. It would have a devo thought and stuff, announcements, Bible memory and things to consider for Sundays lesson but it would be open only to members of the class. I teach the teens, so I am thinking that this would be a way to be in the virtual world with them, but also a way I can avoid Fakebook and MySpace and the like. What do you think?

• Members

I think it sounds good.

For the 1st time since my grandson entered the Marines I'm in contact with him because of Facebook. He is my newest friend.

How's he doing? Still stateside? I have two cousins in the Marines, one cousin in the Navy. My Brother-in-law is Army.

• Members

Kayla, I like gmail and the chat there as well. Have you ever looked at some of their other stuff? I am considering doing one of their sites for my Sunday school class. It would have a devo thought and stuff, announcements, Bible memory and things to consider for Sundays lesson but it would be open only to members of the class. I teach the teens, so I am thinking that this would be a way to be in the virtual world with them, but also a way I can avoid Fakebook and MySpace and the like. What do you think?

Well, the only caution I place before you is that I would go ahead with Google pages and not Blogger. Blogger is notorious for linking to not so appropriate materials(Word ads). They are both Google operated but the Pages are much more safe in my estimation. They are very user friendly even if you don't have that much knowledge with them. If you have any questions about it I will give you my email address via PM and you can email me if you have any questions I'd be happy to help you.

• Members

How's he doing? Still stateside? I have two cousins in the Marines, one cousin in the Navy. My Brother-in-law is Army.

He is in North Carolina for now, but he feels he will not be there very long. With so many troop fixing to go to Afghanistan, that opportunity seems quite good. When he came home Thanksgiving to get his car it took him about 17 hours to drive it. At present time all seems to be going well. Come February he will have 1 whole year.

• Members

Thanks so much Kayla. I don't want to use blogger or Wordpress for the very reasons you've stated. I know the google site is completely by invite only. I just wondered about the appeal for teens. I know you are college aged, but you are more in the techie generation than I am considered to be. :) I am really considering what would be engaging and what would be edifying. Because there are few places I consider spiritually safe on the web, I am considering undertaking this in hopes of providing a haven and a help. I just don't want to do something that is lame. :) So any conceptual ideas are welcome. Thanks again.