• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Reading material on dating/courtship

Kayla

• Members

I dont know of any good books on the issue. What I do know is you will find a host of opinions among IFB people. Pretty much avoid anything that could lead to fornication.. A great way is be in the company of others when out... things like that. Sorry I could not help more. I will look and see if I can find anything that would be worth reading.

Tim

• Members

Maybe you could ask a couple of questions of the old married folks here and get some insight into how they applied Biblical principals to their decision making in the romance department. Don't despair. God has the right guy for you. Just concentrating on being the right girl for that right guy so that you are both ready when God says its time for you to meet and fall in love and start a journey together in service to Him. It can be tough at the college age --especially Bible college as it seems that marriage, engagements, and dating fill much of the social environment, in a seemingly disproportional amount. Don't be discouraged. A nice young godly lady will find the right man. Keep asking God to help you be content in your current state while you serve Him, and to help you to be ready to recognize the next state when you get to the border! How's that for a little unsolicited advice? As to books, I know plenty abound, but I am not confident that I can recommend any that are popular. I will also do some digging to see if I can be of assistance.

• Members

Maybe you could ask a couple of questions of the old married folks here and get some insight into how they applied Biblical principals to their decision making in the romance department. Don't despair. God has the right guy for you. Just concentrating on being the right girl for that right guy so that you are both ready when God says its time for you to meet and fall in love and start a journey together in service to Him. It can be tough at the college age --especially Bible college as it seems that marriage, engagements, and dating fill much of the social environment, in a seemingly disproportional amount. Don't be discouraged. A nice young godly lady will find the right man. Keep asking God to help you be content in your current state while you serve Him, and to help you to be ready to recognize the next state when you get to the border! How's that for a little unsolicited advice? As to books, I know plenty abound, but I am not confident that I can recommend any that are popular. I will also do some digging to see if I can be of assistance.

I don't mind advice as long as it is godly advice :icon_smile: You are so right about it being disproportional in amount, I sometimes find it rather disturbing. I have heard that some Bible Colleges require ladies to go on at least one 'date' a semester. I've seen a lot of rushed relationships at Bible College, and a lot of nasty break ups. Maybe it's just me but I don't like having a broken heart, so I am not going to go looking for one.

I believe that it is the man's jOB to find the woman and that the Bible shows us that. I do believe it is a woman's jOB to pray for her future husband. However I do believe that some young ladies get in trouble by assuming things that are not true when it comes a certain young man they care for...and then in all reality that young man doesn't even care for her.

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

• Administrators

Kayla, one thing that many people forget is that God pairs people up. There are many things we can learn from Adam's and Eve's lives. One is this idea. God created Adam first, and the only thing negative He said about His creation was that it wasn't good for Adam to be alone. So God brought Eve to him.

When 2 people walk with the Lord, He will bring them together in His time.

He will bring you to the right man when it is His time. It's good, though, to be prepared. And your points are right on - we need to guard our hearts. It is easy for women to be fooled (and, nowadays, it is easy for a young man to be fooled!!) and tremendously hurt.

Here is a site that gives a few points. There is a book recommended which I have never read, so I don't know if it's good or not. Perhaps your library could order it so you could look it over and see if it's Biblical.
http://www.gotquestions.org/dating-courting.html

• Members

Yes, HC, those are some of the books I have seen, both on that site and on cbd. Not sure of them either, but will check in my local library and do a quick read if any are available.

I agree with what HC has said Kayla. I also firmly believe that the only advice to be heeded is advice in accordance with Scripture.

Never heard of the date once a semester rule at any college. In life, you will find that many times the broken heart of dating has prevented a tragic life altering mistake from occurring. Yes, some people are devious. Yes, some people are users with ulterior motives. That is an unfortunate truth. However, the Holy Spirit indwells believers, the Word of God guides believers and if we are cognizant of the leadership of God in our lives, we can be protected from making some really tragic errors in the life choices department.

It sounds like you are a little discouraged and broken hearted. You are in my prayers today.