• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

I know that I have heard this in my sunday school lessons but I don't quite remember the significance that "third has in scripture"? In my bible reading today in Rev 8, third is referred to more than once. I also know that the lucifer fell that he took a third of the host of heaven with him.

Looked at in a judgement situation, I would suggest in indicates a partial judgement, intensifying as Rev progresses: horsemen, trumpets, & vials.

Rev 6:8 And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

Rev. 8 has the "thirds" suffering. The trumpets warn of further judgements, but: Rev 9:21 Neither repented they of their murders, nor of their sorceries, nor of their fornication, nor of their thefts.

Finally the vials are poured out, & these are not partial judgements.

Rev 16:17

• Members

As Jerry alluded to the number three is the number of God. Three persons of the Godhead, the "third heaven" is the dwelling place of God etc. As such the number three often symbolizes his divine power, divine purpose, divine judgement, divine blessing, or divine leading. Just about anything directly connected to God.

Some examples from scripture:

In Genesis 22 God leads Abraham out to sacrifice Issac "upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of." and Abraham reaches the place on the third day symbolizing the divine leading that was occurring.

In Exodus 19 the Children of Israel arrived at mount Sinai to receive the Law of God in third month. Then they were to sanctify themselves three days and on the third day God came down on the mount.

Elijah prays unto the Lord and it doesn't rain for three years and six months(James 5:17). Three being the number of God and six being the number of man so symbolic of the divine judgement on Ahab who was troubling Israel.

In Ezekiel 5 God tells Ezekiel to cut cut his hair and his beard and divide it into three parts and then do various things to each of the three parts as a symbol of divine judgement on Israel.

In the book of Jonah he spends three days and three nights in the whales belly as a symbol of divine judgement.

"Zechariah 13:8-9 And it shall come to pass, that in all the land, saith the LORD, two parts therein shall be cut off and die; but the third shall be left therein. And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The LORD is my God."

"thirds" are again used here to symbolize divine judgement and deliverance.

Then in the NT when Mary and Joseph "lost" Jesus they found him in the temple on the third day(Luke 2:46). Jesus did his first recorded miracle on the third day(John 2:1), Pilate tried to let Christ go three times(Luke 23:22), Christ was crucified at the third hour(Mark 15:25) and then as was mentioned rose again on the third day and again as was mentioned the Holy Ghost came at Pentecost at the third hour of the day(Acts 2:15) and about three thousand souls were saved then(Acts 2:41) etc.

This isn't by any means an exhaustive list but I am sure you can see why the number three is so closely connected to God in the scriptures. All the "thirds" in Revelation 8 are undoubtedly related to the divine nature of the judgement poured out there.

In a handful of places three is also symbolic of Satans attempts to copy God such as when he drew a third part of heaven at his fall, and the evil trio composed of Satan, the beast and the false prophet.

Numerology is an interesting study, God doesn't include any worthless trivia in the bible so if a number is given there is usually some reason we need to know that number. Of course it is possible to take symbolism to far so biblical discernment is needed.

• Members

In Genesis 22 God leads Abraham out to sacrifice Issac "upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of." and Abraham reaches the place on the third day symbolizing the divine leading that was occurring.

Then, God the Father showing Abraham that, "...God will provide himself a lamb..." which, He did over 2000 years ago. Of whom, we celebrate His birth and sacrifice for us during this season.

I know I read into this verse but, I like to read it as...
...God will provide Himself...Himself, THE lamb.

Isaiah 53:7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

John 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

Oh yes, I suggest a search on "third." It has to be rich with blessing.

• Members

Then, God the Father showing Abraham that, "...God will provide himself a lamb..." which, He did over 2000 years ago. Of whom, we celebrate His birth and sacrifice for us during this season.

I know I read into this verse but, I like to read it as...
...God will provide Himself...Himself, THE lamb.

Yes, that whole passage is extremely rich in symbolism.

"Genesis 22:13 And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son."

We see in that verse the ram, one of the symbols of Christ, behind Abraham(appearing from a place he was not looking, he had to lift up his eyes and look, speaking of the fact the Jews were not looking for Christ to come as he did) caught in a thicket by his Horns. Thorns and a tangled thicket of course being symbolic of sin and the curse while Horns throughout history have been symbolic of power and strength. Thus symbolizing that Christ would be held to sin for the ultimate sacrifice by nothing but his very own power and strength. Abraham himself who sacrificed the ram being symbolic of both God the father and of the Jewish nation in this case.

On top of that Issac was very possibly offered up in the same place that Christ was crucified. We know it was upon one of the mountains of Moriah(the temple was built on "the" mount Moriah by Solomon) and we know that God led Abraham to that particular spot for some reason. Then there is this verse:

Genesis 22:14 And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovahjireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the LORD it shall be seen.

Which strongly implies to me that this place would be the place that God actually would offer his own son for sin. Impossible to prove but given the symbolism throughout the passage and the fact that God had a particular place in mind for Abraham to offer Issac it seems quite likely.

• Members

Yes, that whole passage is extremely rich in symbolism.

"Genesis 22:13 And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son."

We see in that verse the ram, one of the symbols of Christ, behind Abraham(appearing from a place he was not looking, he had to lift up his eyes and look, speaking of the fact the Jews were not looking for Christ to come as he did) caught in a thicket by his Horns. Thorns and a tangled thicket of course being symbolic of sin and the curse while Horns throughout history have been symbolic of power and strength. Thus symbolizing that Christ would be held to sin for the ultimate sacrifice by nothing but his very own power and strength. Abraham himself who sacrificed the ram being symbolic of both God the father and of the Jewish nation in this case.

On top of that Issac was very possibly offered up in the same place that Christ was crucified. We know it was upon one of the mountains of Moriah(the temple was built on "the" mount Moriah by Solomon) and we know that God led Abraham to that particular spot for some reason. Then there is this verse:

Genesis 22:14 And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovahjireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the LORD it shall be seen.

Which strongly implies to me that this place would be the place that God actually would offer his own son for sin. Impossible to prove but given the symbolism throughout the passage and the fact that God had a particular place in mind for Abraham to offer Issac it seems quite likely.

:amen: