• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Billy Graham's Sad Disobedience to the Word of God

• Members

His views on creation are among the least(still a serious issue though) of the concerns raised. Things like this quote are far more serious.

"Well, Christianity and being a true believer--you know, I think there's the Body of Christ. This comes from all the Christian groups around the world, outside the Christian groups. I think everybody that loves Christ, or knows Christ, whether they're conscious of it or not, they're members of the Body of Christ. And I don't think that we're going to see a great sweeping revival, that will turn the whole world to Christ at any time. I think James answered that, the Apostle James in the first council in Jerusalem, when he said that God's purpose for this age is to call out a people for His name. And that's what God is doing today, He's calling people out of the world for His name, WHETHER THEY COME FROM THE MUSLIM WORLD, OR THE BUDDHIST WORLD, OR THE CHRISTIAN WORLD OR THE NON-BELIEVING WORLD, THEY ARE MEMBERS OF THE BODY OF CHRIST BECAUSE THEY'VE BEEN CALLED BY GOD. THEY MAY NOT EVEN KNOW THE NAME OF JESUS but they know in their hearts that they need something that they don't have, and they turn to the only light that they have, and I think that they are saved, and that they're going to be with us in heaven."

Here Graham marginalizes the Gospel, claims that it is possible to love and know Christ without being conscious of it(:smilie_loco:4) and then claims that lost people can be part of "the body of Christ" without even knowing the name of Jesus because God is calling out a people for his name. Beside the OBvious biblical errors it raises the logical question of how can God call out a people "for his name" if those people don't even know his name? This is hardly the only serious error he makes even though alone it would be enough. Just a few other issues mentioned in that article are denying a literal hell and refusing to call the bible

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

As I remember Mr. Graham statement, "There will be people in heaven who will not even know who Jesus is."

Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Which completely contradicts the above Scripture.

• Members

As I remember Mr. Graham statement, "There will be people in heaven who will not even know who Jesus is."

Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Which completely contradicts the above Scripture.

But is compatible with the scriptures quoted by trc. Also, the phrase "but by me" does not neccesrily mean "but by knowing my name personally." It could just as easliy be interpreted as "but by having faith in my way." Wouldn't you agree?

• Members

Precisely how does a believer's sincere interpretation of creation that may differ from yours have to do with whether or not a person is walking upright before the Lord? I mean if they believe the Bible is God's word and inerrant and perfect and yet one looks at days with the Lord as possibly years, etc......

Just curious.......

I guess you didn't read the article at all. Here is the prOBlem of supporting the gap theory:
1. The gap theory undermines the simplicity and authority of Scripture.

Psalm 119:169 teaches that man is to receive his understanding from the Scriptures. Although God made His Word plain and simple so that all could understand and believe (Psalm 119:130), many theologians interpret Scriptures with a mind clouded by opinions, preconceived ideas, and a bias having been "educated" in heathen schools of thought. Interpretation in this manner causes many theologians to twist the Scripture into agreeing with their "theory." Feeling the attacks of "science, "Christians began to interpret the Scripture with the preconceived idea that science had determined the age of the earth. God did not write His Word with tricky language. To compromise the simplicity or authority of the Scripture is to accommodate the world

• Members

I think in the times in which we live where many are confused by the widely accepted theories of evolution and the origin of species, it would be very easy to try and reconcile that confusion while still resting on the authority of Scripture by applying the gap theory to the history of creation. I personally don't believe in the gap theory but I wouldn't judge someone who did because we are all human and can make mistakes. Most people would not think about the 4 points you listed above, though I think they're accurate for the most part. Most people just don't think along those lines and I wouldn't judge someone because they believed differently, at least they still believe in the sovereignty of God in creation. Maybe not to the degree that others do, but I can't fault them for not coming to the same belief or understanding that I have.

• Members

There are just some things that are extremely clear in the Scriptures and there is 100% understanding and agreement; while other doctrines are not as clear nor agreed upon.

This tends to cause internal conflict in the brain for some believers who only see black and white without any shades of gray.

• Members

When you said that, it made me think of all the personality types that make up the Body of Christ and how many of those personality types are separated along denominational lines. Imagine how well we could work together if we could put aside the names of our denominations and worked together as one. But instead, we have the head over there in fundamentalism and the feet are over there in Presbyterianism and the arms are in the Southern Baptist Convention, etc. Imagine how well we could balance each other out and the works we could do for Christ if we united the Body and helped to balance out one another's strengths and weaknesses.

• Members

When you said that, it made me think of all the personality types that make up the Body of Christ and how many of those personality types are separated along denominational lines. Imagine how well we could work together if we could put aside the names of our denominations and worked together as one. But instead, we have the head over there in fundamentalism and the feet are over there in Presbyterianism and the arms are in the Southern Baptist Convention, etc. Imagine how well we could balance each other out and the works we could do for Christ if we united the Body and helped to balance out one another's strengths and weaknesses.

I am glad that Christ is the head of the body of Christ not "fundamentalism". Even so I am glad that fundamentalists for the most part understand that not every denomination that claims to to be Christian is following Christ. If refusal to work with people teaching things that are contrary to the word of God is a handicap I just have to say that it is better to loose you your feet by amputation then allow the whole body to die of gangrene.

• Members

Sorry, my bad, but you got the point. ;)

That's a cute analogy but it isn't quite Biblical. The Bible doesn't say that we can cut off the feet but rather he stresses the importance of us working together and complimenting one another. I think that if we had stayed united, there would be far less distinction between the denominations that we have today because you would have the arms to correct the legs and the feet to correct the arms, etc. Instead, we have everyone broken up into their own little spheres and having no impact on one another at all. There are things that Baptists could learn from Presbyterians and things that Presbyterians could learn from non-denominationalists and things that non-denominationalists could learn from Baptists. If everyone worked together, we could reach our fullest potential as Christ's Body.

• Members

That's a cute analogy but it isn't quite Biblical. The Bible doesn't say that we can cut off the feet but rather he stresses the importance of us working together and complimenting one another. I think that if we had stayed united, there would be far less distinction between the denominations that we have today because you would have the arms to correct the legs and the feet to correct the arms, etc. Instead, we have everyone broken up into their own little spheres and having no impact on one another at all. There are things that Baptists could learn from Presbyterians and things that Presbyterians could learn from non-denominationalists and things that non-denominationalists could learn from Baptists. If everyone worked together, we could reach our fullest potential as Christ's Body.

I would be happy to work with Presbyterians, non-denominationalists, Billy Graham or anyone else if they would come back to the bible. If they came back to the bible a lot of denominations would have to call themselves something else. ;)

I am not about to endorse leaving the word of God for the sake of unity and that is what ecumenicism requires.

• Members

How does ecumenicism require leaving the Word of God? You can't work with someone who is a Christian but practices infant baptism as a form of dedication?

The only reason they baptize infants is because they held on to the baggage of the catholic church. They kept the same practice of infant baptism but now claim it is for dedication instead of for salvation. That is little different then when the catholic church moved into an area and adopted the heathens feasts and Gods but re-named them after various "saints" to "Christianize" them. If we joined those that turn wickedness into "dedication" so that they might keep their traditions we risk becoming entangled in that yoke of bondage.

1 Corinthians 5:6-7 ....Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump? Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened...

• Members
That is little different then when the catholic church moved into an area and adopted the heathens feasts and Gods but re-named them after various "saints" to "Christianize" them.

Are you kidding? That's night and day difference. Praying to saints is little more than praying to false gods. The dedication of a baby is neither biblical or unbiblical(IFB's practice it, too) and whether they choose to use water or not may be an error on their part but is extremely different from praying to saints. Simply no comparison.

If we joined those that turn wickedness into "dedication" so that they might keep their traditions we risk becoming entangled in that yoke of bondage.

So you're saying that your faith is so weak that if you work with people who practice infant baptism, you'll eventually want to do the same thing? I went to a Pres. church for a year and have been friends with them for years and still have zero desire to have my future babies baptized.

Also, while you believe with all your heart(as you should - Romans 14:5b) that what you believe is right, you still very well may be wrong in some areas. Those Christians of other denominations may have a few errors in their doctrinal line-up, as well, but they shouldn't separate us from them any more than the NT churches with their innumerable errors caused Paul to separate from them. He wrote to them, he reasoned with them, and he encouraged them, but never did separation ever occur except on the occasion that someone had rejected their faith.