• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Billy Graham's Sad Disobedience to the Word of God

• Administrators
Republished December 16, 2009 (first published in February 1997) (David Cloud, Fundamental Baptist Information Service, P.O. Box 610368, Port Huron, MI 48061, 866-295-4143, fbns@wayoflife.org; for instructions about subscribing and unsubscribing or changing addresses, see the information paragraph at the end of the article) –

“And Jehu the son of Hanani the seer went out to meet him, and said to king Jehoshaphat, Shouldest thou help the ungodly, and love them that hate the Lord? therefore is wrath upon thee from before the Lord” (2 Chronicles 19:2).

Screen shot 2009-12-16 at 6.47.26 AM
I have been warning about Billy Graham’s compromise for decades, and it is a very difficult thing to do. He is one of the most popular men in the world. He is universally acclaimed as a wonderful Christian and a great evangelist. When you say something critical of Billy Graham, many people consider it equal to blasphemy against Almighty God!

The Lord knows, if I thought I could fulfill my OBligations before God as a preacher of His Word and still keep my mouth shut about the Billy Grahams of our day, I would do it in a heartbeat! I am convinced that this is not possible, though, and by God’s grace I would rather please Him than man.

In February 1997, I published an article in
O Timothy magazine about Jerry Falwell’s support of Billy Graham. We noted that a watershed of sorts had occurred at Falwell’s Liberty University, in that the 1997 commencement speaker was Dr. Billy Graham, the foremost spokesman for the New Evangelical movement. The announcement in the National Liberty Journal stated:

“It is befitting that Dr. Graham will speak at Liberty’s 1997 Commencement, since his grandson, William Franklin (Will) Graham IV, will be among the graduating seniors. (Another grandson, Roy Graham, is a freshman at Liberty.) ... Dr. Falwell said, ‘This will be Dr. Graham’s first visit to Liberty. THIS COMMENCEMENT ADDRESS WILL NO DOUBT BE REMEMBERED HISTORICALLY IN THE NEXT CENTURY AS ONE OF LIBERTY’S HIGH DAYS. I am grateful that Dr. Graham is taking time from his busy schedule to grace us with his presence” (emphasis added) (National Liberty Journal, December 1996, pp. 1, 17).

Posted at http://www.wayoflife.org/files/00514b9bbda86fff9ce307d20824cee4-478.html#unique-entry-id-478

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

You know, when I go to the auto dealer and the sales man comes out to talk with me about buying his particular brand of vehicle; I despise it when they try to get me to buy their brand by putting down some other person's brand. If they can't sell me their vehicle by extolling its own virtues then I won't deal with them nor will I buy their vehicle.

I'm inclined to look at this type of constant bombardment by certain "preachers." I'd much rather they extol the virtues of the Lord Jesus Christ and how one needs salvation from their sins than them constantly putting out literature on how some fallible human being isn't right with the Lord.

• Members

You know, when I go to the auto dealer and the sales man comes out to talk with me about buying his particular brand of vehicle; I despise it when they try to get me to buy their brand by putting down some other person's brand. If they can't sell me their vehicle by extolling its own virtues then I won't deal with them nor will I buy their vehicle.

I'm inclined to look at this type of constant bombardment by certain "preachers." I'd much rather they extol the virtues of the Lord Jesus Christ and how one needs salvation from their sins than them constantly putting out literature on how some fallible human being isn't right with the Lord.

:amen::goodpost::goodpost:

• Members

Republished December 16, 2009 (first published in February 1997) (David Cloud, Fundamental Baptist Information Service, P.O. Box 610368, Port Huron, MI 48061, 866-295-4143, fbns@wayoflife.org; for instructions about subscribing and unsubscribing or changing addresses, see the information paragraph at the end of the article) –

“And Jehu the son of Hanani the seer went out to meet him, and said to king Jehoshaphat, Shouldest thou help the ungodly, and love them that hate the Lord? therefore is wrath upon thee from before the Lord” (2 Chronicles 19:2).

Screen shot 2009-12-16 at 6.47.26 AM
I have been warning about Billy Graham’s compromise for decades, and it is a very difficult thing to do. He is one of the most popular men in the world. He is universally acclaimed as a wonderful Christian and a great evangelist. When you say something critical of Billy Graham, many people consider it equal to blasphemy against Almighty God!

The Lord knows, if I thought I could fulfill my OBligations before God as a preacher of His Word and still keep my mouth shut about the Billy Grahams of our day, I would do it in a heartbeat! I am convinced that this is not possible, though, and by God’s grace I would rather please Him than man.

In February 1997, I published an article in
O Timothy magazine about Jerry Falwell’s support of Billy Graham. We noted that a watershed of sorts had occurred at Falwell’s Liberty University, in that the 1997 commencement speaker was Dr. Billy Graham, the foremost spokesman for the New Evangelical movement. The announcement in the National Liberty Journal stated:

“It is befitting that Dr. Graham will speak at Liberty’s 1997 Commencement, since his grandson, William Franklin (Will) Graham IV, will be among the graduating seniors. (Another grandson, Roy Graham, is a freshman at Liberty.) ... Dr. Falwell said, ‘This will be Dr. Graham’s first visit to Liberty. THIS COMMENCEMENT ADDRESS WILL NO DOUBT BE REMEMBERED HISTORICALLY IN THE NEXT CENTURY AS ONE OF LIBERTY’S HIGH DAYS. I am grateful that Dr. Graham is taking time from his busy schedule to grace us with his presence” (emphasis added) (National Liberty Journal, December 1996, pp. 1, 17).

Posted at http://www.wayoflife.org/files/00514b9bbda86fff9ce307d20824cee4-478.html#unique-entry-id-478

I wish this issue would get more circulation among IFB churches. There are too many people out there thinking that since it is Billy Graham it must be ok. I have had a hard time with him since I learned of all this especially since the first thing I learned (a few years back) was that he supports the gap theory. http://www.beaconmbc.com/articles/thegaptheory.htm

• Members

I wish this issue would get more circulation among IFB churches. There are too many people out there thinking that since it is Billy Graham it must be ok. I have had a hard time with him since I learned of all this especially since the first thing I learned (a few years back) was that he supports the gap theory. http://www.beaconmbc.com/articles/thegaptheory.htm

Precisely how does a believer's sincere interpretation of creation that may differ from yours have to do with whether or not a person is walking upright before the Lord? I mean if they believe the Bible is God's word and inerrant and perfect and yet one looks at days with the Lord as possibly years, etc......

Just curious.......

• Members

We aren't buying cars though. This is a totally different level of seriousness. We are dealing with peoples souls here. Graham has a well know pattern of false teaching and it is well that some are warning against it.

• Members

We aren't buying cars though. This is a totally different level of seriousness. We are dealing with peoples souls here. Graham has a well know pattern of false teaching and it is well that some are warning against it.

True enough, which is why Christians should have more class and grace in reaching the lost world.

I've never personally met an individual who got saved by hearing slander against Billy Graham (or anyone else I can think of); but I've known many who were saved when hearing the Gospel preached and to turn from their sins and to the Lord Jesus Christ.

• Members

And there be many who are led to hell by such people as Billy Graham who at times teaches a false path to hell.

But I well understand, out there in the world there be many who for what ever reason hates for false teachers to be pointed out. I might add, its been that way forever, it will wax worse.

• Members

Hey Jerry, straight up....you can drop the "But I well understand, out there in the world there be many who for what ever reason hates for false teachers to be pointed out" if you are trying to refer to what I said. I never indicated such a thing. My point is that people should try using some class, tact and preaching the Gospel (even preach it hard) rather than constantly trashing other people. Pretty simple. Trashing other people just doesn't get it done for getting out the Gospel. I recall being taught in Bible College that people of mediocre character talk about things, people of inferior character talk about other people and people of superior character talk about the Lord Jesus Christ.

If by some chance you didn't have my posts in mind when you posted that sentence, I apologize; but the proximity to my post and the way it was written certainly does make it look that way to me.

• Members

've never personally met an individual who got saved by hearing slander against Billy Graham (or anyone else I can think of); but I've known many who were saved when hearing the Gospel preached and to turn from their sins and to the Lord Jesus Christ.

Are you saying that article is slander(or libel more accurately)? Slander is not simply expressing a negative opinion slander is stating something that is untrue with the intent to harm someone else. I did not see anything in that article that was untrue. It contains Grahams stated views that are a matter of public record. Certainly preaching the gospel is of great importance, that does not mean however that it is not important to warn against false teachers. Jesus, Paul, and various prophets warned against false teachers, sometimes by name. I don't think it is wise to marginalize the importance of such warnings when the fellow being warned against has a significant record of teaching things contrary to the bible and things that would prevent a lost person from getting saved if he shared the same views.

• Members

Are you saying that article is slander(or libel more accurately)? Slander is not simply expressing a negative opinion slander is stating something that is untrue with the intent to harm someone else. I did not see anything in that article that was untrue. It contains Grahams stated views that are a matter of public record. Certainly preaching the gospel is of great importance, that does not mean however that it is not important to warn against false teachers. Jesus, Paul, and various prophets warned against false teachers, sometimes by name. I don't think it is wise to marginalize the importance of such warnings when the fellow being warned against has a significant record of teaching things contrary to the bible and things that would prevent a lost person from getting saved if he shared the same views.

:goodpost:
Wouldn't you say that preaching an incorrect view on Creation would diminish the deity of God in people's minds?? When you don't preach what is in the Bible, then your message loses power because the Bible is a powerful book. The Bible is what God has to say to man. They are his words!! I don't think we should be lifting up people on a pedestal who aren't preaching the Word of God. We should be warning others against them.

• Members

Wouldn't you say that preaching an incorrect view on Creation would diminish the deity of God in people's minds?? When you don't preach what is in the Bible, then your message loses power because the Bible is a powerful book. The Bible is what God has to say to man. They are his words!! I don't think we should be lifting up people on a pedestal who aren't preaching the Word of God. We should be warning others against them.

No, I would not say that preaching (in the context of creation) concerning whether a day was a literal day or a thousand years or whether there was a "gap" in time between two verses diminishes the deity of God.

(Ps 90:4 For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.; 2Pe 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.)

I know there are principles of interpretation that are to be followed when rightly dividing the Word of God. And while I believe in the literal one day equals a 24 hour period in the Genesis account of creation, I also know there are very godly true believers that would disagree. Do I disagree with them, yes. Do I put them down, no. Do I think their walk with the Lord is less than what it should be solely based upon their interpretation of creation, no.

There are plenty of people who believe God's Word to be inerrant and every word true and that disagree on whether there was a gap or not and whether the days are literal or not. I don't see God as being "diminished" in any way by either belief.

Please allow me to clarify something as well; I am not defending Billy Graham for any areas he has wrong beliefs, taught wrong teaching or did wrong things. I am saying however that it is totally counterproductive, unnecessary and poor form to continue to beat him up publicly.....if anything this diminishes getting the Gospel out and diminishes the testimony of Christians as they seek to show the world the truth of the Lord Jesus Christ.

One does not need to continually teach on or warn about counterfeits to lead people to faith in Christ; one should be continually teaching about Christ and warning them of the consequences of their sins to bring them to salvation. That is all I'm trying to convey in what I have written concerning this matter.

• Members

No, I would not say that preaching (in the context of creation) concerning whether a day was a literal day or a thousand years or whether there was a "gap" in time between two verses diminishes the deity of God.

(Ps 90:4 For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.; 2Pe 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.)

I know there are principles of interpretation that are to be followed when rightly dividing the Word of God. And while I believe in the literal one day equals a 24 hour period in the Genesis account of creation, I also know there are very godly true believers that would disagree. Do I disagree with them, yes. Do I put them down, no. Do I think their walk with the Lord is less than what it should be solely based upon their interpretation of creation, no.

There are plenty of people who believe God's Word to be inerrant and every word true and that disagree on whether there was a gap or not and whether the days are literal or not. I don't see God as being "diminished" in any way by either belief.

Please allow me to clarify something as well; I am not defending Billy Graham for any areas he has wrong beliefs, taught wrong teaching or did wrong things. I am saying however that it is totally counterproductive, unnecessary and poor form to continue to beat him up publicly.....if anything this diminishes getting the Gospel out and diminishes the testimony of Christians as they seek to show the world the truth of the Lord Jesus Christ.

One does not need to continually teach on or warn about counterfeits to lead people to faith in Christ; one should be continually teaching about Christ and warning them of the consequences of their sins to bring them to salvation. That is all I'm trying to convey in what I have written concerning this matter.

Spend more time telling people the truth and they'll be better able to recognize a lie on their own and in far less time than it takes to write an article.

• Members

Spend more time telling people the truth and they'll be better able to recognize a lie on their own and in far less time than it takes to write an article.

Agreed. And to a lot of people, articles like this only serve to discredit the author. I know that anytime I read stuff such as this, I always question the author's motive. What is he getting out of this?

• Members

His views on creation are among the least(still a serious issue though) of the concerns raised. Things like this quote are far more serious.

"Well, Christianity and being a true believer--you know, I think there's the Body of Christ. This comes from all the Christian groups around the world, outside the Christian groups. I think everybody that loves Christ, or knows Christ, whether they're conscious of it or not, they're members of the Body of Christ. And I don't think that we're going to see a great sweeping revival, that will turn the whole world to Christ at any time. I think James answered that, the Apostle James in the first council in Jerusalem, when he said that God's purpose for this age is to call out a people for His name. And that's what God is doing today, He's calling people out of the world for His name, WHETHER THEY COME FROM THE MUSLIM WORLD, OR THE BUDDHIST WORLD, OR THE CHRISTIAN WORLD OR THE NON-BELIEVING WORLD, THEY ARE MEMBERS OF THE BODY OF CHRIST BECAUSE THEY'VE BEEN CALLED BY GOD. THEY MAY NOT EVEN KNOW THE NAME OF JESUS but they know in their hearts that they need something that they don't have, and they turn to the only light that they have, and I think that they are saved, and that they're going to be with us in heaven."

Here Graham marginalizes the Gospel, claims that it is possible to love and know Christ without being conscious of it(:smilie_loco:4) and then claims that lost people can be part of "the body of Christ" without even knowing the name of Jesus because God is calling out a people for his name. Beside the OBvious biblical errors it raises the logical question of how can God call out a people "for his name" if those people don't even know his name? This is hardly the only serious error he makes even though alone it would be enough. Just a few other issues mentioned in that article are denying a literal hell and refusing to call the bible