• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Thinking about adopting

ptwild

• Members

Singleness is a gift, just has marriage is.

I Cor. 7:
1 Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.
2 Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.
3 Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband.
4 The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife.
5 Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Singleness is a gift, just has marriage is.

I Cor. 7:
1 Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.
2 Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.
3 Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband.
4 The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife.
5 Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together

• Members

Interesting. How so?

Well, according to how one interprets the passage and views the example of Paul, it would seem that if God has given someone the "gift of singleness," it prOBably isn't so they can travel when they want, or buy the kind of car they want when they want it, or work or anything else according to their will or the needs of their family at all, but only according to the things of God. In other words, each gift is for a purpose.

Claiming or agreeing with a claim of a gift from God are not things that should be done lightly.

• Members

Well, according to how one interprets the passage and views the example of Paul, it would seem that if God has given someone the "gift of singleness," it prOBably isn't so they can travel when they want, or buy the kind of car they want when they want it, or work or anything else according to their will or the needs of their family at all, but only according to the things of God. In other words, each gift is for a purpose.

Claiming or agreeing with a claim of a gift from God are not things that should be done lightly.

Let me get this staight, you are attempting to use the Bible to say that a single person should not travel when they want, buy a car when they want . . . or basically do anything at all that happens to coincide with their wishes or "wants"?

• Members
Let me get this staight, you are attempting to use the Bible to say that a single person should not travel when they want, buy a car when they want . . . or basically do anything at all that happens to coincide with their wishes or "wants"?

Nope...

I'm saying that NO Christian should, especially not one who claims a gift that is accompanied in God's word by the recipient's increased responsibility to the things of God and a decreased worldly responsibilities.

What about God? If he's given one a gift that allows less responsibility to worldly things, shouldn't he be the focus of that person's cares? That's what I gather when I read 1 Corinthians 7.

• Members

Nope...

I'm saying that NO Christian should, especially not one who claims a gift that is accompanied in God's word by the recipient's increased responsibility to the things of God and a decreased worldly responsibilities.

What about God? If he's given one a gift that allows less responsibility to worldly things, shouldn't he be the focus of that person's cares? That's what I gather when I read 1 Corinthians 7.

Well, let's look at what you know about me. You know that I am single, and that I consider it to be a gift. You have no idea what I do with that gift. You don't know how much time I am able to spend at the soup kitchen because of my lack of a spouse. You don't know how much money I am able to give to Godly causes because of my lack of a spouse. All you know is that I enjoy the freedom I have to vacation when I want, and buy certain things that I want (which there is no Bilical prohibition against whether one is married or single).

• Members
Well, let's look at what you know about me. You know that I am single, and that I consider it to be a gift. You have no idea what I do with that gift. You don't know how much time I am able to spend at the soup kitchen because of my lack of a spouse. You don't know how much money I am able to give to Godly causes because of my lack of a spouse. All you know is that I enjoy the freedom I have to vacation when I want, and buy certain things that I want (which there is no Bilical prohibition against whether one is married or single).

I'm just trying to let you know what the Bible says concerning singleness and it's purposes. I believe I have done so in as unassuming way as possible. Possibly I've failed at that, for which I would apologize.

I have no idea who you are or how you spend your time. It very well could be that you would put me to shame with the amount of time and effort and resources you put toward the things of God. Because I know my own weaknesses and failures, I honestly hope that is the case.

I also hope that God will give you the wisdom required for this decision and am glad that you are taking the time to pray about it and ask the forum for information.

• Members

I'm just trying to let you know what the Bible says concerning singleness and it's purposes. I believe I have done so in as unassuming way as possible. Possibly I've failed at that, for which I would apologize.

I have no idea who you are or how you spend your time. It very well could be that you would put me to shame with the amount of time and effort and resources you put toward the things of God. Because I know my own weaknesses and failures, I honestly hope that is the case.

I also hope that God will give you the wisdom required for this decision and am glad that you are taking the time to pray about it and ask the forum for information.

Understood.

• Members

I see nothing in the Bible that assures me adopting of a child by a single man is right. I do know the most important thing for a child is to have both a mother and a father. I feel that if one is missing, its best that its the father.

If he had a brother or some other relative who had a child whose parents come up dead for some reason and he raised the child, I think that would be wonderful. I would feel the same if it happened to be friends who had asked him if anything happened to them would he take care of their child.

There are many ways he can help a child without adopting one. In America money will get a person most anything they want, including a child, but that does not necessarily make it right.

Plus his post clearly shows he is selfish and he does not want to answer to anyone.

I'm not making no more comments.