• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

First Prayer God hears?

• Members

I heard it said again today, "The first prayer God hears from someone is the prayer for salvation." Do you agree with this? I assume by "hears" they mean pays attention to. Do you think that unbelievers can bargain with God? One of those, "if you let me live through this I will go to church for the rest of my life" type things? I had a pastor who taught that at an IFB church. What are your thoughts?

• Members

I heard it said again today, "The first prayer God hears from someone is the prayer for salvation." Do you agree with this? I assume by "hears" they mean pays attention to. Do you think that unbelievers can bargain with God? One of those, "if you let me live through this I will go to church for the rest of my life" type things? I had a pastor who taught that at an IFB church. What are your thoughts?

Do you think that believers can bargain with God?

As far as your question, how can one pray if they do not believe in a God to whom to pray?

• Members

I think he was meaning the unsaved. Most in America believe in God but are not "born-again" Christians. That being said, I think God does hear the unsaved but He is not going to be active in their lives in the same way that He would be in a Christian's life. I think sometimes God will use an answered prayer in the life of an unbeliever in order to bring them to Himself.

• Members

I agree with it, sin separates one from God, With Jesus as our Savior we are reconciled to God.

Ps

• Members

Generally speaking God is not going to answer prayers of the unsaved if they are not asking for salvation. I do think that God will occasionally answer their prayers out of his goodness in an attempt to point them toward the truth though. Jonah 1:14-16 may be an example of this and so may 1 Kings 21:27-29. I have also known to many lost people who were questioning and esentially "put out a fleece" for the Lord and had an answer to think that God will never ever choose to answer the prayers of the lost. Certainly the only prayer that a lost person can make and be certain that the Lord will hear is a sincere prayer for salvation out of a repentant heart though.

• Members

John 9:31 Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth.

That is the stance I take.

Yes that statement is true generally speaking. Still, we can't forget that God did have a measure of mercy on wicked Ahab when he humbled himself before God, he did have mercy on those still in the boat when they threw Jonah out, and we can't forget at least one OT general promise of answered prayer that seems to have incuded any opressed widow or child. Here it is:

Exodus 22:22-24 Ye shall not afflict any widow, or fatherless child. If thou afflict them in any wise, and they cry at all unto me, I will surely hear their cry; And my wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless.

• Members

We have debated this in the past, and one thing that was interesting to note was that there is no Bible passages to clearly back up the idea that God only hears the prayers of the saved or only the unsaved prayers of salvation.

The Bible does say He does not hear the prayer of the wicked or those deliberately holding on to specific sins in their hearts. So if a lost person (ie. someone who has not received the Lord Jesus Christ as their Saviour) sincerely seeks the Lord about something, I believe He may have mercy and answer their prayer - though the Bible promises are that He will answer those who are in Christ and who ask according to His will.

• Members

We have debated this in the past, and one thing that was interesting to note was that there is no Bible passages to clearly back up the idea that God only hears the prayers of the saved or only the unsaved prayers of salvation.

The Bible does say He does not hear the prayer of the wicked or those deliberately holding on to specific sins in their hearts. So if a lost person (ie. someone who has not received the Lord Jesus Christ as their Saviour) sincerely seeks the Lord about something, I believe He may have mercy and answer their prayer - though the Bible promises are that He will answer those who are in Christ and who ask according to His will.

I'm with Jerry8, amblivion, and Seth D. on this one.

• Members

God heard the prayers of the godless Hagar & Ishmael.

Gen 21:17 And God heard the voice of the lad; and the angel of God called to Hagar out of heaven, and said unto her, What aileth thee, Hagar? fear not; for God hath heard the voice of the lad where he [is].

Gal 4:30 Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.

Paul could appeal to the providential care, & state the purpose:

Act 17:27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:

I'm sure unbelievers often pray in times of need, & less often return to give thanks when their prayers are answered. An unconverted person may pray for safe deliverance of her baby, & present the child in church for thanks & baptism. That child may survive to become a believer, even though the parent does not. That prayer is answered, beyond expectation.

We must encourage prayer - it is the foundation of our relationship with God, even if that relationship is not saving.

• Members

As the ultimate sin is unthankfulness, (Rom. 1) perhaps the first prayer God hears is "Thank you."

1Ch 23:30 And to stand every morning to thank and praise the LORD, and likewise at even;

Rom 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified [him] not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have OBeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.